    and game consoles are turned off. What could be the cause of this? Is it
    normal activity?

    Should I take medication?

    Stumpy, Apr 14, 2008

  2. You really need to secure your wireless network regardless of whether or not
    you suspect your neighbor or any other unauthorized user from access it. I
    have some general guidance here...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 14, 2008

  3. Stumpy

    Stumpy Guest

    > You really need to secure your wireless network regardless of whether or
    > not you suspect your neighbor or any other unauthorized user from access
    > it. I have some general guidance here...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    Thanks. I'm using WEP now. Will upgrade to WPA after I've solved a few
    more problems.

    Stumpy, Apr 14, 2008
  4. Stumpy

    John Guest

    "Stumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> You really need to secure your wireless network regardless of whether or
    >> not you suspect your neighbor or any other unauthorized user from access
    >> it. I have some general guidance here...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html
    >>

    > Thanks. I'm using WEP now. Will upgrade to WPA after I've solved a few
    > more problems.

    Perhaps you got a smart neighbor who's able to break your (weak) WEP
    security.

    John, Apr 14, 2008
  5. Stumpy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 14, 1:54 pm, "Trespasser" <> wrote:
    > "John" <a> wrote in message

    > > "Stumpy" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thanks.  I'm using WEP now.  Will upgrade to WPA after I've solved a few
    > >> more problems.

    > > Perhaps you got a smart neighbor who's able to break your (weak) WEP
    > > security.

    > >Are you using a BT Homehub ??- Hide quoted text -

    You should know that several game consoles can only do WEP.

    smlunatick, Apr 14, 2008
  6. I think you are right. Your just getting paranoid.
    Those lights always flash,...constantly.
    There is about a billion things in the Windows OS alone that interact with
    the Internet on an almost constant basis. Two big ones are Windows
    Updates/Automatic Updates, and Windows Messenger or Live Messenger.

    Then their is just leaving a browser Window open to a web site that has
    Scripts, ActiveX Controls, Java Applets, Ad-Rotators, ect that generate
    activity all the time.

    Then there is any other messengers (Yahoo, AOL)

    Then there is browser tool bar addons,...Google bar, Yahoo Toolbar, and who
    knows what else.

    Then there are the 253,468 and counting variations of spyware that may be
    hidden as a stand-alone thing or imbedded in some kind of garbage you may
    have installed (for example "free" Screen Savers, and "free" games).

    Then how many File Sharing P2P Apps are you running?

    Then their are the Applications that may each have their own "automatically
    check for updates" built into them. The number of them are
    what?,..thousands of them?

    Then you have the "router" renewing it's IP Configuration with the
    ISP,...the Machines on the LAN doing the same with the "router". You have
    the ISP's "keep-alives" going to help then know that you aren't "down",...

    The list goes on,...but my fingers are tired...and I probably haven't even
    scratched the surface,...and somewhere way, way, way below that surface it
    the possiblity of a "hacker" getting into your system making your lights
    blink. Even if they were getting in through an unsecure wireless link the
    range within they'd have to be to have decent performance to make it worth
    their time is about 100-150 feet,...so you can take a little walk and figure
    that out. There are some high-gain "home-made" antennas, but most people
    *don't * have one because most can barely figure out how to get their
    wireless network even working, and even if they had one you would have to
    pose an "interesting" target for them to get them to waste any time on you.

    So it a hacker possible?,...certainly,...but so is getting stuck by
    lightning
    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 14, 2008
  7. Stumpy

    Stumpy Guest

    >I think you are right. Your just getting paranoid.
    > Those lights always flash,...constantly.
    > There is about a billion things in the Windows OS alone that interact with
    > the Internet on an almost constant basis. Two big ones are Windows
    > Updates/Automatic Updates, and Windows Messenger or Live Messenger.
    >
    > Then their is just leaving a browser Window open to a web site that has
    > Scripts, ActiveX Controls, Java Applets, Ad-Rotators, ect that generate
    > activity all the time.
    >
    > Then there is any other messengers (Yahoo, AOL)
    >
    > Then there is browser tool bar addons,...Google bar, Yahoo Toolbar, and
    > who knows what else.
    >
    > Then there are the 253,468 and counting variations of spyware that may be
    > hidden as a stand-alone thing or imbedded in some kind of garbage you may
    > have installed (for example "free" Screen Savers, and "free" games).
    >
    > Then how many File Sharing P2P Apps are you running?
    >
    > Then their are the Applications that may each have their own
    > "automatically check for updates" built into them. The number of them are
    > what?,..thousands of them?
    >
    > Then you have the "router" renewing it's IP Configuration with the
    > ISP,...the Machines on the LAN doing the same with the "router". You have
    > the ISP's "keep-alives" going to help then know that you aren't "down",...
    >
    > The list goes on,...but my fingers are tired...and I probably haven't even
    > scratched the surface,...and somewhere way, way, way below that surface it
    > the possiblity of a "hacker" getting into your system making your lights
    > blink. Even if they were getting in through an unsecure wireless link the
    > range within they'd have to be to have decent performance to make it worth
    > their time is about 100-150 feet,...so you can take a little walk and
    > figure that out. There are some high-gain "home-made" antennas, but most
    > people *don't * have one because most can barely figure out how to get
    > their wireless network even working, and even if they had one you would
    > have to pose an "interesting" target for them to get them to waste any
    > time on you.
    >
    > So it a hacker possible?,...certainly,...but so is getting stuck by
    > lightning

    Thanks for the opinion, but my initial concern was about the activity when
    all of my devices are turned off. The activity lights still flash
    furiously. I found a status screen for my router which is on a secure web
    page. I'm less concerned now because I can see each of our computers and
    game consoles listed - no-one else. So I'm satisfied that no skulker is
    getting onto our network, still wonder if there is a freeloader.

    Stumpy, Apr 14, 2008
  8. Stumpy

    Joan Archer Guest

    I assume you've run your anti virus and anti spyware programs to check that
    you haven't got anything nasty that's crept in ?

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    Joan Archer, Apr 15, 2008
  9. Stumpy

    Stumpy Guest

    >I assume you've run your anti virus and anti spyware programs to check that
    >you haven't got anything nasty that's crept in ?

    Yeah, no obvious problems so far.

    Stumpy, Apr 15, 2008
  10. "Stumpy" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the opinion, but my initial concern was about the activity when
    > all of my devices are turned off. The activity lights still flash
    > furiously. I found a status screen for my router which is on a secure web
    > page. I'm less concerned now because I can see each of our computers and
    > game consoles listed - no-one else. So I'm satisfied that no skulker is
    > getting onto our network, still wonder if there is a freeloader.

    If there were, they would show on the status screen you were looking at, and
    that is probably the best place to look, so check there when you get
    suspicious. But there is a certain mount of activity between the "router",
    the "modem", and the ISP that is always happening,...and then in the case of
    DSL the ISP is never the line provider so you have to add in the Phone
    Companies Layer2 equipment. Lines are never really ever idle.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 15, 2008
  11. Stumpy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 15, 5:54 pm, "Phillip Windell" <> wrote:
    > "Stumpy" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks for the opinion, but my initial concern was about the activity when
    > > all of my devices are turned off.  The activity lights still flash
    > > furiously.  I found a status screen for my router which is on a secure web
    > > page.  I'm less concerned now because I can see each of our computers and
    > > game consoles listed - no-one else.  So I'm satisfied that no skulker is
    > > getting onto our network, still wonder if there is a freeloader.

    > If there were, they would show on the status screen you were looking at, and
    > that is probably the best place to look, so check there when you get
    > suspicious.  But there is a certain mount of activity between the "router",
    > the "modem", and the ISP that is always happening,...and then in the case of
    > DSL the ISP is never the line provider so you have to add in the Phone
    > Companies Layer2 equipment.  Lines are never really ever idle.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

    You should also look in thr router's web configurations. Several
    models offer a nethod of "logging" activitity occurring on the unit.
    This is usually set to off since hte logs can get huge. Activate it
    for some time and check to see the activity. It could give you a hint
    to what is happening.

    smlunatick, Apr 16, 2008
  12. Stumpy

    Stumpy Guest

    >You should also look in thr router's web configurations. Several
    >models offer a nethod of "logging" activitity occurring on the unit.
    >This is usually set to off since hte logs can get huge. Activate it
    >for some time and check to see the activity. It could give you a hint
    >to what is happening.

    By default this was turned on. Looked at the logs and saw mostly expected
    stuff; Playstation, newsservers, websites that we use. I'm getting more
    relaxed. Time to fix things in the real world.

    Stumpy, Apr 16, 2008