    Would i be correct then in presuming my file system IS "non-FAT".

    Many thanks in advance

    Gavin.

    Gavin, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Gavin

    ICee Guest

    Gavin wrote:
    > Hi, i have an MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard, and i need to flash the
    > bios (AMI BIOS) due to several problems. Im running Windows XP, and
    > according to the "read-me"s if you have a "non FAT" file system then
    > you have to do it a different way. My question is on Windows XP Pro
    > Edition i have it as "NTFS". Would i be correct then in presuming my
    > file system IS "non-FAT".
    >

    > Many thanks in advance
    >

    > Gavin.

    There are two ways a drive can be formatted; FAT and NTFS. Out of
    curiosity, what has that got to do with flashing the BIOS?

    ICee, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Gavin

    Budweiser Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, i have an MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard, and i need to flash the bios

    (AMI
    > BIOS) due to several problems. Im running Windows XP, and according to the
    > "read-me"s if you have a "non FAT" file system then you have to do it a
    > different way. My question is on Windows XP Pro Edition i have it as

    "NTFS".
    > Would i be correct then in presuming my file system IS "non-FAT".
    >

    > Many thanks in advance
    >

    > Gavin.

    Gavin---DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    You obviously have some problems either in your system or your conception of
    the problem

    If you are talking loading XP---just numpty out and click yes to all
    this has nothing to do with the bios settings

    DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    can you afford a new board when it goes ^up?

    Budweiser, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    >There are two ways a drive can be formatted; FAT and NTFS. Out of
    >curiosity, what has that got to do with flashing the BIOS?

    Well i've just downloaded the AMI Bios Flash procedure and there are different
    instructions. The first set is standard. The second are if you have a non-FAT
    File system.

    Gavin.

    Gavin, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Gavin

    ICee Guest

    Gavin wrote:
    >> There are two ways a drive can be formatted; FAT and NTFS. Out of
    >> curiosity, what has that got to do with flashing the BIOS?
    >>

    > Well i've just downloaded the AMI Bios Flash procedure and there are
    > different instructions. The first set is standard. The second are if
    > you have a non-FAT File system.
    >

    > Gavin.

    I don't understand why they make it so difficult. You should be able to
    create an MS-DOS startup disk from My Computer in XP. Then, delete all
    but the COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.SYS, and IO.SYS files, then copy the flash
    program and the BIOS image to the floppy also, and follow the flash
    instructions for 98/ME.

    In any case, what problems are you having that you think you need to
    flash the BIOS? That is something that should be done only if
    necessary, since, as Budweiser has mentioned, you can render the MB dead
    if not careful.

    ICee, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    >Gavin---DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    >You obviously have some problems either in your system or your conception of
    >the problem
    >
    >If you are talking loading XP---just numpty out and click yes to all
    >this has nothing to do with the bios settings
    >
    >DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    >can you afford a new board when it goes ^up?

    Ok, well every problem i have i related to the bios. For example, it fails to
    recognise my hard disk or any of my cdrom drives in bios, however its perfectly
    fine in Win XP. From reading the MSI Forum site, it seems like a common
    problem, not just with this but other matters too.

    NOTE VERSION 1.7 which is my exact problem cos of only having a S-ATA drive.

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=434

    and the forum link:

    http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=10&sid=

    What d'ya think?

    Gavin.

    Gavin, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Gavin

    Budweiser Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > >Gavin---DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    > >You obviously have some problems either in your system or your conception

    of
    > >the problem
    > >
    > >If you are talking loading XP---just numpty out and click yes to all
    > >this has nothing to do with the bios settings
    > >
    > >DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS
    > >can you afford a new board when it goes ^up?

    > Ok, well every problem i have i related to the bios. For example, it fails

    > recognise my hard disk or any of my cdrom drives in bios, however its

    perfectly
    > fine in Win XP. From reading the MSI Forum site, it seems like a common
    > problem, not just with this but other matters too.
    >
    > NOTE VERSION 1.7 which is my exact problem cos of only having a S-ATA

    drive.

    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=434
    >
    > and the forum link:
    >
    > http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=10&sid=
    >

    > What d'ya think?
    >

    > Gavin.

    Ok can see your point---but all it is is a "update" to the original bios
    --so it will not detect on auto--have you tried setting them in the bios
    manually?
    PLease research this more------ok, bios reload,peace of piss--put file on a
    floppy ,reboot----select file etc--confirmation note,update
    successfull----restart--buggered system
    While i am all for folks repairing and resolving any troubles they may have
    with thier particular machine-----take it to a shop----they mess up ,they
    resolve/repair-------all it takes is a small error on the floppy or its
    cable etc and oops
    The process is simple,granted,but its ramifications are emense----an older
    machine i would say go for it---for now i say--let someone else take the
    "risk"--money well spent,and you will probably get a clean up thrown in

    Budweiser, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Gavin

    Sultan Guest

    Before you go about flashing the bios, I suggest visiting this site:
    http://www.badflash.com/

    And no it's not a site for bad macromedia projects, trust me.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 16, 2004
  9. Gavin

    Patrick Guest

    Gavin wrote:
    > Hi, i have an MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard, and i need to flash the
    > bios (AMI BIOS) due to several problems. Im running Windows XP, and
    > according to the "read-me"s if you have a "non FAT" file system then
    > you have to do it a different way. My question is on Windows XP Pro
    > Edition i have it as "NTFS". Would i be correct then in presuming my
    > file system IS "non-FAT".
    >

    > Many thanks in advance
    >

    > Gavin.

    Short answer is that you do not have a 'FAT' partition (thus you've to do it
    'the different way)

    My understanding of the situation is that the 'readme' is telling you to put
    the 'data' (and perhaps the 'flashing' program) file onto the HD, this being
    due to a HD being more reliable than a floppy.
    However if your HD is NTFS then a Boot-floppy will not be able to read the
    'data' file on the NTFS-fileing-system. Therefore (at a guess) you will need
    to put the 'data-file' (and flash-program) on the boot-floppy as well.

    Patrick, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Gavin

    S.Heenan Guest

    Gavin wrote:
    > Hi, i have an MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard, and i need to flash the
    > bios (AMI BIOS) due to several problems. Im running Windows XP, and
    > according to the "read-me"s if you have a "non FAT" file system then
    > you have to do it a different way. My question is on Windows XP Pro
    > Edition i have it as "NTFS". Would i be correct then in presuming my
    > file system IS "non-FAT".

    I have no idea of what MSI is on about. The file system has _nothing_ to do
    with flashing the BIOS, unless you want to save the old BIOS to the hard
    drive.

    Connect your system to a UPS. A power glitch will make the flash process
    fail.
    Do not use a Windows32 utility. Use the Adsfi711.exe utility included in the
    file listed below.
    Using a new floppy disk, run chkdsk a: /f/v from the command line before and
    after creating a boot disk. This will greatly lessen the odds of a bad
    flash.
    R-click of the floppy drive in Windows Explorer, choose format, then create
    an MS-DOS startup disk.
    Copy the A6758IMS.200 and Adsfi711.exe to the floppy.
    If the Adsfi711.exe utility supports the following switches, use them

    /py/cc/cd/cp/LD/E

    You can check by typing adsifi711.exe /? at the DOS command line.

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=434&kind=1

    Please double and triple check that this is the correct download for your
    particular motherboard.

    S.Heenan, Feb 16, 2004
  11. Gavin

    SaltPeter Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, i have an MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard, and i need to flash the bios

    (AMI
    > BIOS) due to several problems. Im running Windows XP, and according to the
    > "read-me"s if you have a "non FAT" file system then you have to do it a
    > different way. My question is on Windows XP Pro Edition i have it as

    "NTFS".
    > Would i be correct then in presuming my file system IS "non-FAT".
    >

    > Many thanks in advance
    >

    > Gavin.

    Flashing a bios is not that big a deal and the file system on hard drive is
    irrelevent even when the motherboard manufacturer provides some utility that
    runs off hard drive. That's because you shouldn't be using it.

    To flash a bios, you need a real-mode Dos boot diskette. It must be a
    diskette that has been triple-checked to be error free and your floppy drive
    should be known error free drive. The bios version you have needs to be
    exactly the version required for your mobo model.

    Most modern boot-block flashers will fail updating your bios if the system
    isn't recognized as the one for whom the bios was designed for. Remember to
    clear CMOS or reset bios after the flash to start using the new boot block.

    Use the MSI provided step-by-step procedure to complete a flash. This
    includes a procedure to use a virtual RAMDrive to flash from in the case you
    have a 98 or ME start disk.
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/BIOS_NON_FAT.asp

    SaltPeter, Feb 16, 2004