    Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    anthonyberet, Feb 11, 2004

  2. anthonyberet

    philo Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    news:40297d0d$0$43163$...
    > Is it me or does this instruction-page miss out something important

    between
    > steps 2 and 3?
    > http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm
    >
    > How should I put the new bios and flash utility on the floppy?
    > Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    > Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    > Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    you copy the utility to a bootable floppy

    then after you bootup with it you run the utility as per instructions

    note: do not flash the bios unless you have a specific need to...
    if something goes wrong you can render your machine useless

    also be sure to perform a scandisk on your floppy first
    be be sure it;s good

    be sure you have the correct bios

    be sure to have your machine on a UPS
    as a power failure will be very bad news!

    philo, Feb 11, 2004

  3. anthonyberet

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:52:19 -0000, "anthonyberet" <> wrote:

    >Is it me or does this instruction-page miss out something important between
    >steps 2 and 3?
    >http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm
    >
    >How should I put the new bios and flash utility on the floppy?
    >Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    >Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    >Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    Don't!

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004
  4. anthonyberet

    Craven Birds Guest

    > Is it me or does this instruction-page miss out something important

    between
    > steps 2 and 3?
    > http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm
    >
    > How should I put the new bios and flash utility on the floppy?
    > Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    > Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    > Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    Nope! That's correct. The only thing I can see that might confuse you is
    making the floppy bootable! I'd use a start-up disk then insert to floppy
    with the Flash utility and bios upgrade and run. A backup of the original
    bios will be saved to the floppy.

    Not much can go wrong nowadays flashing the BIOS (famous last words).

    Make SURE you do not power down until the programme finishes and TELLS you
    it's OK.

    Users do it their own risk!
    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  5. anthonyberet

    Rob K Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:
    > Is it me or does this instruction-page miss out something important between
    > steps 2 and 3?
    > http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm
    >
    > How should I put the new bios and flash utility on the floppy?
    > Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    > Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    > Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    Yup, that's you .... :D

    The whole idea is to make your computer boot from a floppy, containing
    all necessary files. And yes, you just copy them to floppy. You run the
    utility as instructed, with the name of the BIOS update file as
    parameter.

    Are you sure you want to go ahead with the BIOS update ? I.o.w. have
    you read about recovering from a bad 'flash' ?

    HTH

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Feb 11, 2004
  6. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    > > Is it me or does this instruction-page miss out something important

    between
    > > steps 2 and 3?
    > > http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/flash_award.htm
    > >
    > > How should I put the new bios and flash utility on the floppy?
    > > Do I just copy it to there? -I don't have to run it to do so?
    > > Also, will the old bios be backed-up on the floppy, or where?
    > > Thanks, I haven't done this before.

    > Yup, that's you .... :D
    >
    > The whole idea is to make your computer boot from a floppy, containing
    > all necessary files. And yes, you just copy them to floppy. You run the
    > utility as instructed, with the name of the BIOS update file as
    > parameter.
    >
    > Are you sure you want to go ahead with the BIOS update ? I.o.w. have
    > you read about recovering from a bad 'flash' ?

    Thanks guys.
    The reason I want to flash my bios is that I had a DDO on a large drive, and
    the DDO has been lost after a system crash (my machine has a new mobo and
    has been crashing a lot since I put it in -it damages the boot process when
    it crashes and i have to run win98se setup again each time).
    I have tried new (identical) ram and have checked all connections.
    The HD has data on it that I want to keep (its the slave HD).
    If I run Maxtor's DDO setup it will erase the disk.
    Does this seem like a reasonable time to be flashing my bios?
    -The only other ideas I have are a dodgy mobo or that my PSU is too small
    (250w atx).
    Thanks

    anthonyberet, Feb 11, 2004
  7. anthonyberet

    philo Guest

    > Thanks guys.
    > The reason I want to flash my bios is that I had a DDO on a large drive,

    and
    > the DDO has been lost after a system crash (my machine has a new mobo and
    > has been crashing a lot since I put it in -it damages the boot process

    when
    > it crashes and i have to run win98se setup again each time).
    > I have tried new (identical) ram and have checked all connections.
    > The HD has data on it that I want to keep (its the slave HD).
    > If I run Maxtor's DDO setup it will erase the disk.
    > Does this seem like a reasonable time to be flashing my bios?
    > -The only other ideas I have are a dodgy mobo or that my PSU is too small
    > (250w atx).
    > Thanks

    If your present mobo does not correctly identify your harddrive...
    updating the bios would be justified

    however it is not likely to solve the problem of your machine
    crashing...but who knows? there could be some improvements that would
    be helpful

    btw: if you re-enable the drive overlay
    that should not cause you to loose data on your drive

    philo, Feb 11, 2004