    guns
    Thanks
    John

    Johnnie Scott, Feb 8, 2006

  2. "Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@.nospam.ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in
    message news:zrlGf.9044$...
    > Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new flashgun
    > for my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any comments on
    > the Metz and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the same control as the
    > canon 580ex guns
    > Thanks
    > John

    You may want to check out the tread I stated on January 31 "Recommend
    Flash for 20D Canon" last post on Feb 4. I ended up with the Canon flash
    and I am happy with it.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Johnnie Scott

    Eric Miller Guest

    "Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@.nospam.ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in
    message news:zrlGf.9044$...
    > Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new flashgun
    > for my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any comments on
    > the Metz and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the same control as the
    > canon 580ex guns
    > Thanks
    > John

    You can get the 550ex for around $280 new and around $220 used if you are a
    diligent eBay hawk. It's not the latest model, but it is a fine flash unit.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Johnnie Scott

    tomm42 Guest

    Johnnie Scott wrote:
    > Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new flashgun for
    > my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any comments on the Metz
    > and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the same control as the canon 580ex
    > guns
    > Thanks
    > John

    Have a 20year old Metz flash (45 CT-1) that is so dead on that I can't
    imagine an auto unit would be any better. It is also more powerful than
    anything the camera makers have. This is a good thing. Wouldn't
    hesitate buying Metz.

    Tom

    tomm42, Feb 8, 2006
  5. tomm42 wrote:
    > Johnnie Scott wrote:
    >> Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new
    >> flashgun for my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any
    >> comments on the Metz and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the
    >> same control as the canon 580ex guns
    >> Thanks
    >> John

    > Have a 20year old Metz flash (45 CT-1) that is so dead on that I can't
    > imagine an auto unit would be any better. It is also more powerful
    > than anything the camera makers have. This is a good thing. Wouldn't
    > hesitate buying Metz.
    >
    > Tom

    Before using this Metz gun on a digital camera, have a look at this -

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    600-volt trigger voltage? No thanks!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Johnnie Scott

    gambo1953 Guest

    Johnnie Scott wrote:
    > Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new flashgun for
    > my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any comments on the Metz
    > and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the same control as the canon 580ex
    > guns
    > Thanks
    > John

    I have the Sigma ef500 super and so far I love it....

    gambo1953, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Johnnie Scott

    wilt Guest

    >>600-volt trigger voltage? No thanks! <<

    What a buncha hooey! I have used the Metz 45CT with the module 3102
    for Canon 20d hotshoe, and I have also used the Metz 45CT with the 3102
    and a PC connection only, no custom module at all! And I also have
    used the Metz 54MZ with module 3102 in all modes (Auto, M, ETTL) with
    the 20D.

    Metz on Auto is 100% accurate. Metz on TTL with older TTL cameras
    (like Hassy or Bronica) is 100% accurate. Metz on ETTL with Canon 20D
    behaves just like a Canon flash...if the light is low, the camera on M,
    and the flash is the primary source of light for the shot, the ETTL
    flash has to be compensated via use of FEC +2/3 EV in order for the
    exposure to be proper and the same density as no flash (tripod shot in
    low light)--an ideosyncracy of Canon ETTL flash.

    wilt, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Johnnie Scott

    Pete D Guest

    "Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@.nospam.ntlworldnospam.com> wrote in
    message news:zrlGf.9044$...
    > Thanks to Jim Townsend for the earlier reply. Now I need a new flashgun
    > for my new 20d. The canon guns seem a very high price, any comments on
    > the Metz and Sigma ef-500 dg super. Do they have the same control as the
    > canon 580ex guns
    > Thanks
    > John

    I have a 500DG Super on a Pentax and with a guide number of 50 it is hard to
    beat, meters beautifully and with a StoFen Omnibounce will just about light
    up anything. Very impressed.

    Pete D, Feb 9, 2006
  9. wilt wrote:
    >>> 600-volt trigger voltage? No thanks! <<

    > What a buncha hooey! I have used the Metz 45CT with the module 3102
    > for Canon 20d hotshoe, and I have also used the Metz 45CT with the
    > 3102 and a PC connection only, no custom module at all! And I also
    > have used the Metz 54MZ with module 3102 in all modes (Auto, M, ETTL)
    > with the 20D.
    >
    > Metz on Auto is 100% accurate. Metz on TTL with older TTL cameras
    > (like Hassy or Bronica) is 100% accurate. Metz on ETTL with Canon 20D
    > behaves just like a Canon flash...if the light is low, the camera on
    > M, and the flash is the primary source of light for the shot, the ETTL
    > flash has to be compensated via use of FEC +2/3 EV in order for the
    > exposure to be proper and the same density as no flash (tripod shot in
    > low light)--an ideosyncracy of Canon ETTL flash.

    So the 2-page warning in my Panasonic FZ20 manual about the external
    flashgun's trigger voltage is best ignored? It could be that the boys at
    Panasonic want me to buy their own flashgun, but I still don't feel like
    using 2 of my 3 strobes which have trigger voltages way outside the ISO
    10330 standard.

    Anybody else feel that the handbook should be ignored?

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Feb 9, 2006
  10. Dennis Pogson wrote:

    >> What a buncha hooey! I have used the Metz 45CT with the module 3102
    >> for Canon 20d hotshoe, and I have also used the Metz 45CT with the
    >> 3102 and a PC connection only, no custom module at all! And I also
    >> have used the Metz 54MZ with module 3102 in all modes (Auto, M, ETTL)
    >> with the 20D.
    >>
    >> Metz on Auto is 100% accurate. Metz on TTL with older TTL cameras
    >> (like Hassy or Bronica) is 100% accurate. Metz on ETTL with Canon
    >> 20D behaves just like a Canon flash...if the light is low, the
    >> camera on M, and the flash is the primary source of light for the
    >> shot, the ETTL flash has to be compensated via use of FEC +2/3 EV in
    >> order for the exposure to be proper and the same density as no flash
    >> (tripod shot in low light)--an ideosyncracy of Canon ETTL flash.

    > So the 2-page warning in my Panasonic FZ20 manual about the external
    > flashgun's trigger voltage is best ignored? It could be that the boys
    > at Panasonic want me to buy their own flashgun, but I still don't
    > feel like using 2 of my 3 strobes which have trigger voltages way
    > outside the ISO 10330 standard.
    >
    > Anybody else feel that the handbook should be ignored?

    Not I!

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Johnnie Scott

    Tom2000 Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:42:41 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
    <> wrote:

    >Anybody else feel that the handbook should be ignored?

    Nope.

    I use a couple of old Sunpaks - the 522 and 411. I've used them
    for years with no problems on an Oly C-2020. Only recently did I read
    a caveat in the Oly manual that warns against flashes with high
    voltage trigger circuitry.

    I might or might not have read that years ago when I purchased the
    camera, but payed it no heed.

    While I was researching my FZ30 purchase, I decided to blow the
    dust off the ol' Fluke and see what those Sunpak trigger circuits were
    handing to the camera. Both measured about 193 volts.

    I decided to buy a Safe Sync adapter to use on the FZ30. That
    presents just over 6 volts to the camera. It didn't cost much more
    than a simple hot shoe to PC adapter, which I would have needed
    anyway, and the slight extra cost is worth it for peace of mind.

    Tom

    Tom2000, Feb 9, 2006
  12. Johnnie Scott

    tomm42 Guest

    Dennis Pogson wrote:

    > > What a buncha hooey! I have used the Metz 45CT with the module 3102
    > > for Canon 20d hotshoe, and I have also used the Metz 45CT with the
    > > 3102 and a PC connection only, no custom module at all! And I also
    > > have used the Metz 54MZ with module 3102 in all modes (Auto, M, ETTL)
    > > with the 20D.
    > >
    > > Metz on Auto is 100% accurate. Metz on TTL with older TTL cameras
    > > (like Hassy or Bronica) is 100% accurate. Metz on ETTL with Canon 20D
    > > behaves just like a Canon flash...if the light is low, the camera on
    > > M, and the flash is the primary source of light for the shot, the ETTL
    > > flash has to be compensated via use of FEC +2/3 EV in order for the
    > > exposure to be proper and the same density as no flash (tripod shot in
    > > low light)--an ideosyncracy of Canon ETTL flash.

    > So the 2-page warning in my Panasonic FZ20 manual about the external
    > flashgun's trigger voltage is best ignored? It could be that the boys at
    > Panasonic want me to buy their own flashgun, but I still don't feel like
    > using 2 of my 3 strobes which have trigger voltages way outside the ISO
    > 10330 standard.
    >
    > Anybody else feel that the handbook should be ignored?
    >
    > Dennis.

    If you use the high voltage battery, I'd beware and run it through a
    Wein adapter. But the 45CT is essentcially a 9 volt system, 6 AA's.
    I've done a couple of thousand frames with both my Nikon 995 and a Fuji
    S1. Both cameras are fine. As I said exposures are right on.

    Tom

    tomm42, Feb 9, 2006
  13. "tomm42" <> writes:
    > If you use the high voltage battery, I'd beware and run it through a
    > Wein adapter. But the 45CT is essentcially a 9 volt system, 6 AA's.

    The combined voltage of the batteries used to power a flash has
    nothing whatsoever to do with the voltage present across its trigger
    circuit. To find out its trigger circuit voltage, you need to use a
    multimeter and measure the voltage between center pin and edge
    contact when the flash is fully charged.

    > I've done a couple of thousand frames with both my Nikon 995 and a
    > Fuji S1. Both cameras are fine.

    You've been lucky then. To be frank, I am not sure if the
    "beware high voltage in generic guns"-warning from the camera
    manufacturerer is just a scheme to make sure their customers buy
    expensive own brand flash guns instead of generic models - or if
    it is something you need to be concerned about.

    What you use with your camera is you call. But don't assume that the
    trigger voltage your camera sees is 9 volts just because the flash is
    powered by 6 AA's.
    SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Feb 9, 2006
  14. Johnnie Scott

    Tom2000 Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:40:52 +0100, Gisle Hannemyr
    <> wrote:

    >What you use with your camera is you call. But don't assume that the
    >trigger voltage your camera sees is 9 volts just because the flash is
    >powered by 6 AA's.

    Yup.

    My 522 is powered by 6 AA's, and the 411 uses 4. Both units measure
    about 193 volts at the end of the sync cord.

    By the way - if you don't have a good voltmeter handy, I *do not*
    recommend that you test your sync voltage by touching your tongue to
    the end of the sync cord! <g>

    Tom

    Tom2000, Feb 10, 2006
  15. Tom2000 wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:40:52 +0100, Gisle Hannemyr
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>What you use with your camera is you call. But don't assume that the
    >>trigger voltage your camera sees is 9 volts just because the flash is
    >>powered by 6 AA's.

    > Yup.
    >
    > My 522 is powered by 6 AA's, and the 411 uses 4. Both units measure
    > about 193 volts at the end of the sync cord.
    >
    > By the way - if you don't have a good voltmeter handy, I *do not*
    > recommend that you test your sync voltage by touching your tongue to
    > the end of the sync cord! <g>
    >
    > Tom

    I once caught the trigger voltage from a Graflex unit and nearly dropped
    the camera. It was exciting.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 10, 2006
  16. Johnnie Scott

    Tom2000 Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:28:38 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    >> By the way - if you don't have a good voltmeter handy, I *do not*
    >> recommend that you test your sync voltage by touching your tongue to
    >> the end of the sync cord! <g>
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I once caught the trigger voltage from a Graflex unit and nearly dropped
    >the camera. It was exciting.

    LOL!

    Magnificent understatement <g>.

    Tom2000, Feb 10, 2006
  17. In article <a%RGf.67702$>, Joseph Meehan
    <> writes

    > I once caught the trigger voltage from a Graflex unit and nearly dropped
    >the camera. It was exciting.

    That used to be a common practical joke amongst pro photographers - a
    piece of clear tape on the PC connector to isolate the camera body from
    the flash earth. When the shutter is released, the flash synch connects
    the trigger voltage to the camera body making that live. In the normal
    course of events, the photographer is holding the camera in one hand
    with his finger on the shutter release and the flash, or bracket handle,
    in the other hand. I don't know of anyone being seriously hurt by it,
    but it restyled most of their hair!
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Feb 10, 2006