Flashes and the 8800

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jere7my tho?rpe, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. For my upcoming birthday, I'd like to ask for an external flash for my
    nice new Nikon 8800. But I don't really know what to ask for.

    * The manual says "Use only Nikon Speedlights." Is this really a
    concern, or are they just trying to sell their own flashes?

    * I have a perfectly serviceable Albinar 84A from about 15 years ago.
    Would that work?

    * Assuming the answers to both the above questions are "No," does anyone
    have a recommendation for a $100 - $150 flash, or websites that compare
    them?

    Thanks!

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
    (440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
    | Their ashes in urns
    http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
    --- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon

    jere7my tho?rpe, Apr 3, 2005

  2. jere7my tho?rpe

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005, "jere7my tho?rpe" <> wrote:

    >For my upcoming birthday, I'd like to ask for an external flash for my
    >nice new Nikon 8800. But I don't really know what to ask for.
    >
    >* The manual says "Use only Nikon Speedlights." Is this really a
    >concern, or are they just trying to sell their own flashes?

    Yes. Nikon cameras communicate with the flash. At a minimum the camera
    tells the flash that there is enough light and to shut off.

    >* I have a perfectly serviceable Albinar 84A from about 15 years ago.
    >Would that work?

    It will most likely flash, but then you would have to manually set the
    amount of light you want on the flash for each picture you take.

    >* Assuming the answers to both the above questions are "No," does anyone
    >have a recommendation for a $100 - $150 flash, or websites that compare
    >them?

    If you don't want to pay Nikon prices there are Nikon compatible flashes,
    like SunPak. These will work. But first thing you should do is to look in
    your manual and see just what features the 8800 supports. Then figure out
    which of the newer Nikon compatible flashes supports them.

    Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures> (e-mail link at web page bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Apr 3, 2005