    sectors on a flash drive, but I didn't know that some drives need wear
    levelling on reads as well.

    <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw02aLinuxFlashFile&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On May 24, 1:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > I knew about the need to spread the writes around to avoid wearing out the
    > sectors on a flash drive, but I didn't know that some drives need wear
    > levelling on reads as well.
    >
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/i...>

    This also sets me wondering about how long flash memory lasts even if
    it is rarely read or written. I have a possible use for a controller
    in my mind which may need to do service for 40 to 100 years
    (associated electromechanical items would last that long). Possibly
    one or two extra units could be kept as spares with the flash memories
    appropriately pre-loaded with software and settings.
    However I am now havin doubts that even if spare unts are kept, the
    life expectancy may be no more than 10 - 20 years at which time a
    total replacement would need to be obtained and software re-written.

    peterwn, May 25, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:37:25 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >I knew about the need to spread the writes around to avoid wearing out the
    >sectors on a flash drive, but I didn't know that some drives need wear
    >levelling on reads as well.
    >
    ><http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw02aLinuxFlashFile&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR>

    I read today that SSD (solid state drives) are expected to come down
    to the same price as HDDs by 2011.
    They also mentioned the need for software to spread the writes.

    I wonder what the MTBF will be like in comparison with HDDs?

    Ross, May 25, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:37:25 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> I knew about the need to spread the writes around to avoid wearing out the
    >> sectors on a flash drive, but I didn't know that some drives need wear
    >> levelling on reads as well.
    >>
    >> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw02aLinuxFlashFile&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR>

    > I read today that SSD (solid state drives) are expected to come down
    > to the same price as HDDs by 2011.
    > They also mentioned the need for software to spread the writes.
    >
    > I wonder what the MTBF will be like in comparison with HDDs?

    That will depend on the amount of physical abuse involved.

    EMB, May 25, 2008