    Has anyone had anything similar to this happen?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Steve Cousins, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Re: Canon S1 IS Flash too bright suddenly in automatic mode

    Steve Cousins wrote:

    >I have a Canon S1 IS that has been great until this weekend. All of a
    >sudden when I take a flash picture in Automatic mode the picture comes
    >out completely white. I have tried redoing the color balance but it
    >hasn't changed. It seems to work ok in other modes but I have had to
    >change the ISO down to 50.
    >
    >I don't know if it is coincidence or not but it happened near the same
    >time that I put in a new CF card. My old card is a 1GB card from
    >Transcend at 40X. The new one is also Transcend but it is 4GB and
    >120X. Using the old card now and it does the same thing.

    Wow. Am I the only one with this problem? Lucky me! Does anyone have
    any ideas about why this might happen? I tried setting back to
    defaults. I'll try a firmware upgrade too. Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Steve Cousins, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Steve Cousins

    dj_nme Guest

    Steve Cousins wrote:
    > Steve Cousins wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Canon S1 IS that has been great until this weekend. All of a
    >> sudden when I take a flash picture in Automatic mode the picture comes
    >> out completely white. I have tried redoing the color balance but it
    >> hasn't changed. It seems to work ok in other modes but I have had to
    >> change the ISO down to 50.
    >> I don't know if it is coincidence or not but it happened near the same
    >> time that I put in a new CF card. My old card is a 1GB card from
    >> Transcend at 40X. The new one is also Transcend but it is 4GB and
    >> 120X. Using the old card now and it does the same thing.
    >>

    > Wow. Am I the only one with this problem? Lucky me! Does anyone have
    > any ideas about why this might happen? I tried setting back to
    > defaults. I'll try a firmware upgrade too. Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    There is a slim chance that you have accidentaly bumped a control or
    otherwise changed a setting named "flash compensation" or "exposure
    compenstion".
    If you can find these settings on your camera, they should both normaly
    be set at zero and your camera is probably set at some positive number
    (eg: +1 or +2) to cause the extreme over-exposure you have described.
    dj_nme, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Re: Canon S1 IS Flash too bright suddenly in automatic mode

    dj_nme wrote:

    > Steve Cousins wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Cousins wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Canon S1 IS that has been great until this weekend. All of a
    >>> sudden when I take a flash picture in Automatic mode the picture comes
    >>> out completely white. I have tried redoing the color balance but it
    >>> hasn't changed. It seems to work ok in other modes but I have had to
    >>> change the ISO down to 50. I don't know if it is coincidence or not
    >>> but it happened near the same
    >>> time that I put in a new CF card. My old card is a 1GB card from
    >>> Transcend at 40X. The new one is also Transcend but it is 4GB and
    >>> 120X. Using the old card now and it does the same thing.
    >>>

    >> Wow. Am I the only one with this problem? Lucky me! Does anyone
    >> have any ideas about why this might happen? I tried setting back to
    >> defaults. I'll try a firmware upgrade too. Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > There is a slim chance that you have accidentaly bumped a control or
    > otherwise changed a setting named "flash compensation" or "exposure
    > compenstion".
    > If you can find these settings on your camera, they should both
    > normaly be set at zero and your camera is probably set at some
    > positive number (eg: +1 or +2) to cause the extreme over-exposure you
    > have described.

    Thanks for the response. I checked and it seems to be set ok. I've
    tried it at -2 and it is a bit better but still way too bright. I
    updated the firmware and still no luck.

    One other symptom is that when I'm in movie mode it will record for 30
    to 40 seconds and then the camera will shut off and then back on, losing
    the movie. It does this in all modes; 320x240 and 640x480.

    I'm thinking something needs to be repaired but I'm guessing that would
    be pricey. Does anyone know where to get these repaired economically?
    I guess I need to contact Canon.

    Thanks again,

    Steve
    Steve Cousins, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Steve Cousins

    Renee Guest

    Re: Canon S1 IS Flash too bright suddenly in automatic mode

    You can upgrade to the S2 IS through Canon if the repairs, or even looking
    at it, are going to be costly.

    Renee

    Renee, Apr 3, 2007