    Is it only DSLRs taht go above 1/60?

    jeff
    , Oct 14, 2005

  2. On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:01:40 -0700, ceredigion205 wrote:

    > Do any compacts use a flash sync of above 1/60? I'm looking for 1/90 or
    > (!) 1/125.
    > Is it only DSLRs taht go above 1/60?

    It's been my experience that Point-n-Shoot digitals sync with flash at
    most any of their shutter speed, since their shutters are either
    electronic or leaf types. I have any old Olympus C-3030 that syncs either
    with the internal or external flash at all its shutter speeds up to and
    including its maximum of 1/750 sec., which makes daylight fill flash a
    breeze.

    It is only focal plane shutters, because of the way they work, that have a
    maximum flash sync speed which is well below its max shutter speed. Some
    SLR film cameras have gotten around this limitation by using a special
    dedicated flash unit that fires mulitple times during the exposure
    syncronized in such a way so that you can use flash up to a higher maximum
    shutter speed than would be expected with a focal plane shutter. Very
    clever the way its done.

    Stefan
    Stefan Patric, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Dirty Harry Guest

    "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:01:40 -0700, ceredigion205 wrote:
    >
    > > Do any compacts use a flash sync of above 1/60? I'm looking for 1/90 or
    > > (!) 1/125.
    > > Is it only DSLRs taht go above 1/60?

    > It's been my experience that Point-n-Shoot digitals sync with flash at
    > most any of their shutter speed, since their shutters are either
    > electronic or leaf types. I have any old Olympus C-3030 that syncs either
    > with the internal or external flash at all its shutter speeds up to and
    > including its maximum of 1/750 sec., which makes daylight fill flash a
    > breeze.
    >
    > It is only focal plane shutters, because of the way they work, that have a
    > maximum flash sync speed which is well below its max shutter speed. Some
    > SLR film cameras have gotten around this limitation by using a special
    > dedicated flash unit that fires mulitple times during the exposure
    > syncronized in such a way so that you can use flash up to a higher maximum
    > shutter speed than would be expected with a focal plane shutter. Very
    > clever the way its done.
    >
    > Stefan

    Yea my 420ex can sync up to 1/4000 or higher I believe, when its in high
    speed mode.
    Dirty Harry, Oct 15, 2005