Flash problems with Casio Exilim EX-S3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patricia, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. Patricia

    Patricia Guest

    I hope someone here can help me. A number of years ago, when it was
    first on the market, my boss gave me a Casio Exilim EX-S3, which I've
    used and loved ever since. I mainly use it for taking photos for eBay
    listings (I sell women's clothes). Recently I started having trouble
    with the flash not firing, resulting in lots of "black box" photos.
    Very frustrating. Since I've had the same battery since I was given
    the camera, I naturally assumed that was the problem. I went to Best
    Buy and found the replacement battery would cost $40, which I thought
    was a bit steep. I got on Amazon and found a compatible battery for
    only $8, so I grabbed it. I installed the new battery, put the camera
    in the charging base (which is where I keep the camera between uses)
    and let it charge for 24 hours or more. It was great for the first
    few photos, then I started having exactly the same problem again. Of
    course I thought, well, that's what you get for cheaping out! So I
    went to the Casio website and purchased the correct battery
    (interestingly enough, still ten bucks cheaper than Best Buy's generic
    option). Last night I started using the camera with the new battery,
    fully charged, and I'm having exactly the same problem with the
    flash. I've read all the camera's documentation and the only flash
    problems they talk about are all battery related. Since I can't
    believe I was unlucky enough to get two bad batteries in a row -- one
    generic, one from Casio -- there must be something else going on.
    Anyone have any idea what it might be? I understand the camera is now
    somewhat outdated, but it works so perfectly for my purposes that I
    really, really hate the thought of replacing it, unless fixing it is
    either impossible or too expensive to be practical.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,

    Patricia

    Patricia, Mar 6, 2008

  2. Patricia <> wrote:

    > I hope someone here can help me. A number of years ago, when it was
    > first on the market, my boss gave me a Casio Exilim EX-S3, which I've
    > used and loved ever since. I mainly use it for taking photos for eBay
    > listings (I sell women's clothes). Recently I started having trouble
    > with the flash not firing, resulting in lots of "black box" photos.
    > Very frustrating. Since I've had the same battery since I was given
    > the camera, I naturally assumed that was the problem. I went to Best
    > Buy and found the replacement battery would cost $40, which I thought
    > was a bit steep. I got on Amazon and found a compatible battery for
    > only $8, so I grabbed it. I installed the new battery, put the camera
    > in the charging base (which is where I keep the camera between uses)
    > and let it charge for 24 hours or more. It was great for the first
    > few photos, then I started having exactly the same problem again. Of
    > course I thought, well, that's what you get for cheaping out! So I
    > went to the Casio website and purchased the correct battery
    > (interestingly enough, still ten bucks cheaper than Best Buy's generic
    > option). Last night I started using the camera with the new battery,
    > fully charged, and I'm having exactly the same problem with the
    > flash. I've read all the camera's documentation and the only flash
    > problems they talk about are all battery related. Since I can't
    > believe I was unlucky enough to get two bad batteries in a row -- one
    > generic, one from Casio -- there must be something else going on.
    > Anyone have any idea what it might be? I understand the camera is now
    > somewhat outdated, but it works so perfectly for my purposes that I
    > really, really hate the thought of replacing it, unless fixing it is
    > either impossible or too expensive to be practical.

    > Thoughts?

    Since it's an old camera you might have bought old batteries which has
    been on the shelf for far too long. Discharging them fully by using
    the flash a lot, and then recharging them again, perhaps a few times,
    might improve their performance.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Mar 6, 2008

  3. Patricia

    XxYyZz Guest

    "Patricia" <> wrote in message
    >I hope someone here can help me. A number of years ago, when it was
    > first on the market, my boss gave me a Casio Exilim EX-S3, which I've
    > used and loved ever since. I mainly use it for taking photos for eBay
    > listings (I sell women's clothes). Recently I started having trouble
    > with the flash not firing, resulting in lots of "black box" photos.
    > Very frustrating. Since I've had the same battery since I was given
    > the camera, I naturally assumed that was the problem. I went to Best
    > Buy and found the replacement battery would cost $40, which I thought
    > was a bit steep. I got on Amazon and found a compatible battery for
    > only $8, so I grabbed it. I installed the new battery, put the camera
    > in the charging base (which is where I keep the camera between uses)
    > and let it charge for 24 hours or more. It was great for the first
    > few photos, then I started having exactly the same problem again. Of
    > course I thought, well, that's what you get for cheaping out! So I
    > went to the Casio website and purchased the correct battery
    > (interestingly enough, still ten bucks cheaper than Best Buy's generic
    > option). Last night I started using the camera with the new battery,
    > fully charged, and I'm having exactly the same problem with the
    > flash. I've read all the camera's documentation and the only flash
    > problems they talk about are all battery related. Since I can't
    > believe I was unlucky enough to get two bad batteries in a row -- one
    > generic, one from Casio -- there must be something else going on.
    > Anyone have any idea what it might be? I understand the camera is now
    > somewhat outdated, but it works so perfectly for my purposes that I
    > really, really hate the thought of replacing it, unless fixing it is
    > either impossible or too expensive to be practical.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Patricia

    You can try taking the battery out and clean the contacts in the battery
    comparrtment. You can use a pencil eraser for this but be careful not to bend
    the cantacts. If that doesn't fix it it will probably be cheaper to replace
    it. You might want to call a camera repair center, they might be familiar with
    the camera and be able to advise you accordingly.

    XxYyZz, Mar 6, 2008
  4. Patricia

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:51:27 -0800 (PST), Patricia wrote:

    > I hope someone here can help me. A number of years ago, when it was
    > first on the market, my boss gave me a Casio Exilim EX-S3, which I've
    > used and loved ever since. I mainly use it for taking photos for eBay
    > listings (I sell women's clothes). Recently I started having trouble
    > with the flash not firing, resulting in lots of "black box" photos.
    > Very frustrating. Since I've had the same battery since I was given
    > the camera, I naturally assumed that was the problem.

    While you may have a battery related problem, there are some other
    possible causes that you may want to check out.

    In a series of shots, do the "black box" shots appear randomly or
    is there some noticeable pattern? When the flash is needed, some
    cameras won't take a picture at all until the flash capacitor is
    charged. Others will, resulting in slightly to very dark shots,
    depending on the length of the charge time as well as other factors.

    Since you called the effect "black box", can we assume that there
    was very little ambient light, and the flash would have provided
    virtually all of the light? If not, what shooting mode was that
    camera using, and was the EX-S3 set to force the flash to fire for
    each shot or was it in an Auto-Flash mode where the camera would
    decide whether to fire the flash (or not)?

    Another possibility is that your batteries are OK, but the charger
    isn't working properly and is only partially charging the batteries.
    One way to tell (using your new battery, which we might assume to be
    good) is to see how many pictures you can take without using the
    flash. Your manual should give you an approximate number, and if
    you get less than 1/4 the number of estimated shots, there's an
    obvious problem. Another way is to see how long it takes the camera
    to recharge the capacitor after firing the flash (at full power).
    The manual should also state this time and have some indicator that
    show when flash charging is finished, but with good batteries most
    cameras will take well under 10 seconds to recharge. If yours is
    taking considerably longer, you'll have to figure out a way to tell
    whether you have a bad charger, all of your batteries are bad (less
    likely) or the camera is at fault. If it's the camera, you could
    try checking the camera's internal battery contacts. They may only
    need to be cleaned.

    > I understand the camera is now somewhat outdated, but it works
    > so perfectly for my purposes that I really, really hate the thought
    > of replacing it, unless fixing it is either impossible or too expensive
    > to be practical.

    If you do have to replace the camera, there's some consolation in
    that many of today's cameras can do at least as well and will
    probably cost much less than what you paid for the EX-S3. But
    there's another option to consider. The worst, harshest light for
    taking "product" pictures is produced by using a camera's internal
    flash. If you use a couple of external A.C. powered lights to avoid
    using the semi-functioning flash (and very inexpensive ones can do
    very well), the quality of your new eBay shots might even turn out
    much better than before. Several of them can cost less than a
    single battery, even if you don't get them at a "discount" store.

    ASAAR, Mar 8, 2008