    Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
    Somewhere Nowhere, May 17, 2006

  2. Somewhere Nowhere

    2 Guest

    "Somewhere Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
    >
    > http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm

    Hi, Sarge: Jacobson is a straight shooter. I'll bet if you write or call
    him he will repeat his warantee in a most convincing, strident manner. I'd
    buy his box in a heartbeat if I needed it.

    With no disrespect to AJ, my military experience tells me that a
    rocker-switch could be an issue - one doesn't want to accidently roll it off
    while on task. Just put a piece of Gaffer's tape over it and be happy.
    2, May 17, 2006

  3. Somewhere Nowhere

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
    >
    >Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

    How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
    thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
    is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, May 17, 2006
  4. Somewhere Nowhere <> wrote:
    >Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
    >
    >http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm
    >
    >I'd like to hear some reviews.
    >
    >I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Brian

    After trying to read th above webpage to learn something about
    that unit, it was fairly clear to me that I should stick with
    Quantum products.

    http://www.qtm.com/

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, May 17, 2006
  5. Somewhere Nowhere

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
    >>
    >>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

    > How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
    > thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
    > is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...
    >
    > Bill

    You didn't read carefully enough. They are slower, but not because of less
    over-all power. Al's black box says it'll deliver over 1000 flashes on a
    single charge--that's plenty of power. And he says, if you really need the
    speed, look elsewhere.

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara
    Matt Clara, May 17, 2006
  6. On 17 May 2006 08:14:05 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <>
    wrote:

    >> Somewhere Nowhere asks ...
    >>
    >>Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"

    >How do these compare to the Quantum Turbo and 2x2 packs? Just skimming
    >thru the spec it seems this one is about 3x slower on a full dump yet
    >is much heavier ... heavier with less power ... hmmm ...
    >
    >Bill

    Bill,

    If you look around Al's site you will see that his Black Box is not
    bout speed, it's about longevity. Being a wedding shooter, I am more
    concerned about not having to stop to change those damn AAs. Hell, I
    can always stage the kiss after the cermony.....

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Capt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S.Comm/I/Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Somewhere Nowhere, May 17, 2006
  7. Somewhere Nowhere

    Matt Clara Guest

    > Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
    >
    > http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm
    >
    > I'd like to hear some reviews.
    >
    > I am sick of carring all those AA batteries!!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    Al's a great guy--he used to frequent the 35mm group. Very knowledgeable
    and very helpful. I've not used any of his equipment, but I'm sure it does
    exactly what he says it will.

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara
    Matt Clara, May 17, 2006
  8. On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:57:27 -0500, "2" <> wrote:

    >"Somewhere Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone using Alan Jacobson's "Black Box?"
    >>
    >> http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm

    >Hi, Sarge: Jacobson is a straight shooter. I'll bet if you write or call
    >him he will repeat his warantee in a most convincing, strident manner. I'd
    >buy his box in a heartbeat if I needed it.
    >
    >With no disrespect to AJ, my military experience tells me that a
    >rocker-switch could be an issue - one doesn't want to accidently roll it off
    >while on task. Just put a piece of Gaffer's tape over it and be happy.

    Thanks, I have exchanged several e-mails with Alan. I will be
    ordering one this week.

    Brian
    Somewhere Nowhere, May 17, 2006
  9. Somewhere Nowhere

    Flavius Guest

    I am a proud owner of one of Al's battery packs. In fact I picked it up from
    him in person and he showed me all the steps and reasons for his
    construction and design decisions. This pack has performed perfectly for me
    in every regard, living up to all of Al's claims with precision. I am a
    thoroughly satisfied customer. I am a professional photographer and while I
    do *try* to take care of my equipment, all of it gets used HARD. This
    battery has never failed me, even once. The recharge rates on my Vivitar
    283s are fantastic (aprox. 1.2 seconds to FULL charge after a FULL
    discharge). The recharge rates on my Olympus FL-50s are also very
    impressive. Even on an all day wedding shoot I never ran out of power,
    literally thousands of flashes on a single charge. Furthermore, Al's
    personal service and dedication to the customer after the sale is second to
    none.

    JDR

    -

    Flavius, May 18, 2006
  10. "Flavius" <> writes:

    > I am a proud owner of one of Al's battery packs. In fact I picked it up from
    > him in person and he showed me all the steps and reasons for his
    > construction and design decisions. This pack has performed perfectly for me
    > in every regard, living up to all of Al's claims with precision. I am a
    > thoroughly satisfied customer. I am a professional photographer and while I
    > do *try* to take care of my equipment, all of it gets used HARD. This
    > battery has never failed me, even once. The recharge rates on my Vivitar
    > 283s are fantastic (aprox. 1.2 seconds to FULL charge after a FULL
    > discharge). The recharge rates on my Olympus FL-50s are also very
    > impressive. Even on an all day wedding shoot I never ran out of power,
    > literally thousands of flashes on a single charge. Furthermore, Al's
    > personal service and dedication to the customer after the sale is second to
    > none.

    Out of curiousity, how did you connect the FL-50? Did you use the Quantum C05
    cable or did you use the fake battery method?

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, May 18, 2006
  11. Somewhere Nowhere

    Flavius Guest

    Actually I connect the Olympus FL-50 with a Quantum MKZ3 flash cable. This
    cable also fits the Nikon SB-800. Quantum refers to this cable as a
    "module". I use a short homemade adapter to connect the Quantum lockable
    male RCA connector to the four pin DIN on Al's battery pack. The only real
    problem with this approach is that the FL-50 battery door is NOT removable,
    short of breaking it off. I probably would break it off if the FL-50 wasn't
    so damned expensive, and besides there is a very slight chance that I
    *might* want to load AA's at some point in the future. So I just leave the
    battery door flapping in the wind. So far that has not caused me any actual
    problems. On my Vivitar's, Al modified the battery doors so that they can
    close over the cable and can still be used with internal batteries. Such a
    modification may be possible with the FL-50, however I am reluctant to start
    cutting on it ($$). BTW the Quantum "modules" contain a diode which provides
    *some* internal resistance and polarity protection. On my Vivitar modules Al
    removed the diodes which, in part, explains their BLAZING recharge rate.
    When using a camera with a motor drive, if I am at all careless, it is quite
    possible to turn a perfectly good Vivitar 283 into a neat little mushroom
    cloud by cycling it TOO FAST for it to cool down. On my FL-50's I chose to
    leave the diodes in place. They still recycle VERY fast, about 3 seconds for
    a full power blast, somewhat quicker for low power shots. But at least it
    makes me pace myself a bit so they have a chance to cool down. It's a world
    of difference between blowing up a $49.00 flash and a $450.00 flash.

    JDR

    Somewhere Nowhere, May 22, 2006