Flash Plugin Won't Work

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by geewhiz, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    Hello All!

    My Plugin finder says I have Macromedia Flash installed and enabled, yet
    it fails to function on Moz1.5, N7.1, and IE6. I'm trying to access
    this site:

    http://www.uav.com/home/index.html

    On other computers, there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the
    airplane photo.

    Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I'm stumped.

    Gerard
    --
    Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
    http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
    geewhiz, Nov 14, 2003

  2. geewhiz

    dantu Guest

    geewhiz wrote:

    >Hello All!
    >
    >My Plugin finder says I have Macromedia Flash installed and enabled, yet
    >it fails to function on Moz1.5, N7.1, and IE6. I'm trying to access
    >this site:
    >
    >http://www.uav.com/home/index.html
    >
    >On other computers, there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the
    >airplane photo.
    >
    >Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I'm stumped.
    >
    >Gerard

    Gerard

    See this page
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Flash

    also make note of the important information for users of Firebird link,
    which also applies to zipped installers (Mozilla etc)
    you may need to patch the Windows registry in your case in accordance
    with the firebird page
    dantu, Nov 14, 2003

  3. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > geewhiz wrote:
    >
    > >Hello All!
    > >
    > >My Plugin finder says I have Macromedia Flash installed and enabled, yet
    > >it fails to function on Moz1.5, N7.1, and IE6. I'm trying to access
    > >this site:
    > >
    > >http://www.uav.com/home/index.html
    > >
    > >On other computers, there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the
    > >airplane photo.
    > >
    > >Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I'm stumped.
    > >
    > >Gerard
    > >

    > Gerard
    >
    > See this page
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Flash
    >
    > also make note of the important information for users of Firebird link,
    > which also applies to zipped installers (Mozilla etc)
    > you may need to patch the Windows registry in your case in accordance
    > with the firebird page

    Already went there...doesn't really say anything, other than the plug-in
    is standard and that it should work. As stated, I have the plug-in
    installed and the "About" says it is enabled, but it doesn't work...

    How can I diagnose a non-functioning plug-in?

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 14, 2003
  4. geewhiz

    dantu Guest

    geewhiz wrote:

    >dantu wrote:
    >

    >>geewhiz wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello All!
    >>>
    >>>My Plugin finder says I have Macromedia Flash installed and enabled, yet
    >>>it fails to function on Moz1.5, N7.1, and IE6. I'm trying to access
    >>>this site:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.uav.com/home/index.html
    >>>
    >>>On other computers, there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the
    >>>airplane photo.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I'm stumped.
    >>>
    >>>Gerard
    >>>

    >>Gerard
    >>
    >>See this page
    >>http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Flash
    >>
    >>also make note of the important information for users of Firebird link,
    >>which also applies to zipped installers (Mozilla etc)
    >>you may need to patch the Windows registry in your case in accordance
    >>with the firebird page
    >>

    >Already went there...doesn't really say anything, other than the plug-in
    >is standard and that it should work. As stated, I have the plug-in
    >installed and the "About" says it is enabled, but it doesn't work...
    >
    >How can I diagnose a non-functioning plug-in?
    >
    >Gerard

    Gerard

    I dont think you read the Firebird information at all.

    Important Information For Mozilla Firebird Users
    These instructions also apply to users of zipped Mozilla builds. Fore
    more information, please see the FAQ
    <http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/phoenixwin.html>.

    Registry Entries

    Some plugin installers locate Mozilla based browsers using the Windows
    Registry. The following installers are known to do this:

    * Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
    * Apple QuickTime 6.0
    * Macromedia Flash 6.0
    * Macromedia Shockwave 8.5
    * RealOne Player
    * Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1

    If you use that page it also tells you how to correct the registry entries,
    dantu, Nov 14, 2003
  5. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > geewhiz wrote:
    >
    > >dantu wrote:

    > >>Gerard
    > >>
    > >>See this page
    > >>http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Flash
    > >>
    > >>also make note of the important information for users of Firebird link,
    > >>which also applies to zipped installers (Mozilla etc)
    > >>you may need to patch the Windows registry in your case in accordance
    > >>with the firebird page
    > >>

    > >Already went there...doesn't really say anything, other than the plug-in
    > >is standard and that it should work. As stated, I have the plug-in
    > >installed and the "About" says it is enabled, but it doesn't work...
    > >
    > >How can I diagnose a non-functioning plug-in?
    > >
    > >Gerard
    > >

    > Gerard
    >
    > I dont think you read the Firebird information at all.
    >
    > Important Information For Mozilla Firebird Users
    > These instructions also apply to users of zipped Mozilla builds. Fore
    > more information, please see the FAQ
    > <http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/phoenixwin.html>.
    >
    > Registry Entries
    >
    > Some plugin installers locate Mozilla based browsers using the Windows
    > Registry. The following installers are known to do this:
    >
    > * Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
    > * Apple QuickTime 6.0
    > * Macromedia Flash 6.0
    > * Macromedia Shockwave 8.5
    > * RealOne Player
    > * Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1
    >
    > If you use that page it also tells you how to correct the registry entries,

    This applies to me even if I'm using Mozilla 1.5? I'm not using
    Firebird, only the complete download (not zipped) Mozilla 1.5.

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 14, 2003
  6. geewhiz

    dantu Guest

    geewhiz wrote:

    >dantu wrote:
    >

    >>geewhiz wrote:

    >>>Already went there...doesn't really say anything, other than the plug-in
    >>>is standard and that it should work. As stated, I have the plug-in
    >>>installed and the "About" says it is enabled, but it doesn't work...
    >>>
    >>>How can I diagnose a non-functioning plug-in?
    >>>
    >>>Gerard
    >>>

    >>Gerard
    >>
    >> I dont think you read the Firebird information at all.
    >>
    >>Important Information For Mozilla Firebird Users
    >>These instructions also apply to users of zipped Mozilla builds. Fore
    >>more information, please see the FAQ
    >><http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/phoenixwin.html>.
    >>
    >> Registry Entries
    >>
    >>Some plugin installers locate Mozilla based browsers using the Windows
    >>Registry. The following installers are known to do this:
    >>
    >> * Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
    >> * Apple QuickTime 6.0
    >> * Macromedia Flash 6.0
    >> * Macromedia Shockwave 8.5
    >> * RealOne Player
    >> * Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1
    >>
    >>If you use that page it also tells you how to correct the registry entries,
    >>

    >This applies to me even if I'm using Mozilla 1.5? I'm not using
    >Firebird, only the complete download (not zipped) Mozilla 1.5.
    >
    >Gerard

    Gerard

    When you installed the plug in, did it generate any errors
    like not being able to find Mozilla?
    dantu, Nov 14, 2003
  7. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    snip

    > >>If you use that page it also tells you how to correct the registry entries,
    > >>

    > >This applies to me even if I'm using Mozilla 1.5? I'm not using
    > >Firebird, only the complete download (not zipped) Mozilla 1.5.
    > >
    > >Gerard
    > >

    > Gerard
    >
    > When you installed the plug in, did it generate any errors
    > like not being able to find Mozilla?

    No, it installed fine, just like any other software installation that
    goes correctly. The plug-in list (from Mozilla) shows it as complete
    and enabled. It asked me which of the browsers I wanted it to install
    into: Netscape 4.8, Netscape 7.1, and Mozilla 1.5. I accepted all
    three, everything went smooth, and it shows as active and enabled in all
    three, but won't work in any of them. I even installed it into the
    plugin folder of IE on a separate run, and it won't work there either.
    I've tried reinstalling it 4 times now...

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 14, 2003
  8. geewhiz

    dantu Guest

    geewhiz wrote:

    >snip

    >>>This applies to me even if I'm using Mozilla 1.5? I'm not using
    >>>Firebird, only the complete download (not zipped) Mozilla 1.5.
    >>>
    >>>Gerard
    >>>

    >>Gerard
    >>
    >> When you installed the plug in, did it generate any errors
    >>like not being able to find Mozilla?
    >>

    >No, it installed fine, just like any other software installation that
    >goes correctly. The plug-in list (from Mozilla) shows it as complete
    >and enabled. It asked me which of the browsers I wanted it to install
    >into: Netscape 4.8, Netscape 7.1, and Mozilla 1.5. I accepted all
    >three, everything went smooth, and it shows as active and enabled in all
    >three, but won't work in any of them. I even installed it into the
    >plugin folder of IE on a separate run, and it won't work there either.
    >I've tried reinstalling it 4 times now...
    >
    >Gerard

    Gerard

    If it wont work anywhere, did it ever cross your mind that you
    got a bad download? Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing?
    dantu, Nov 15, 2003
  9. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    snip

    > If it wont work anywhere, did it ever cross your mind that you
    > got a bad download? Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing?

    Ok, I tried a fresh download of the player, turned off my anti-virus and
    firewall, and installed with no indications of problems. Installed into
    Netscape 4.8, N7.1, and Mozilla 1.5, as prompted by splash screen.

    Restarted computer.

    Same problem. No Flash images.

    This interesting to note: While the page www.uav.com is loading, I can
    see the outlines of the placeholders before the image comes up. The
    interesting part is that the navigation bar outline at the bottom that
    should be there (and shows on my wife's computer) is missing on my
    computer.

    Mozilla still says that the plug-in is installed and enabled.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 15, 2003
  10. geewhiz wrote:

    > snip
    >

    >> If it wont work anywhere, did it ever cross your mind that you
    >>got a bad download? Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing?

    > Ok, I tried a fresh download of the player, turned off my anti-virus and
    > firewall, and installed with no indications of problems. Installed into
    > Netscape 4.8, N7.1, and Mozilla 1.5, as prompted by splash screen.
    >
    > Restarted computer.
    >
    > Same problem. No Flash images.
    >
    > This interesting to note: While the page www.uav.com is loading, I can
    > see the outlines of the placeholders before the image comes up. The
    > interesting part is that the navigation bar outline at the bottom that
    > should be there (and shows on my wife's computer) is missing on my
    > computer.
    >
    > Mozilla still says that the plug-in is installed and enabled.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Gerard

    You haven't mentioned if you are getting any error messages. If the
    plugin was not being read by Moz, you should get a message to download
    the plugin.

    Have you ever, by chance installed the Flash CLick to View extension? If
    you had on an old version, when you install a new version, it will cause
    flash to not display at all, as though it weren't there.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    http://mozilla.org
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 15, 2003
  11. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > geewhiz wrote:
    >
    > > snip
    > >

    > >> If it wont work anywhere, did it ever cross your mind that you
    > >>got a bad download? Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing?

    > > Ok, I tried a fresh download of the player, turned off my anti-virus and
    > > firewall, and installed with no indications of problems. Installed into
    > > Netscape 4.8, N7.1, and Mozilla 1.5, as prompted by splash screen.
    > >
    > > Restarted computer.
    > >
    > > Same problem. No Flash images.
    > >
    > > This interesting to note: While the page www.uav.com is loading, I can
    > > see the outlines of the placeholders before the image comes up. The
    > > interesting part is that the navigation bar outline at the bottom that
    > > should be there (and shows on my wife's computer) is missing on my
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Mozilla still says that the plug-in is installed and enabled.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Gerard

    > You haven't mentioned if you are getting any error messages. If the
    > plugin was not being read by Moz, you should get a message to download
    > the plugin.
    >
    > Have you ever, by chance installed the Flash CLick to View extension? If
    > you had on an old version, when you install a new version, it will cause
    > flash to not display at all, as though it weren't there.
    >
    > Lee

    I don't know if this is an error message:

    http://bob2000.com/uavsite01.jpg

    Is the fact that it's asking me to d/l Flash an error message?

    I've never installed the "Flash Click" whatever thingy you've
    described...at least not that I know of...any way to check?

    Here is my Mozilla Plug-In page:

    http://bob2000.com/flashpage01.jpg

    It's calling the Plug-In "Shockwave Flash." Is this the correct
    terminology for the Flash Plugin?

    Anyhow, here is a shot of what I get when I visit this page:
    http://wp.netscape.com/plugins/manager.html, the Netscape Plug-in
    manager and checker:

    http://bob2000.com/flashpage02.jpg

    The browser tells me it is installed and that it should work. But it
    doesn't...

    Thanks for the help!

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 15, 2003
  12. geewhiz wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>geewhiz wrote:
    >>

    >>>snip

    >>>Ok, I tried a fresh download of the player, turned off my anti-virus and
    >>>firewall, and installed with no indications of problems. Installed into
    >>>Netscape 4.8, N7.1, and Mozilla 1.5, as prompted by splash screen.
    >>>
    >>>Restarted computer.
    >>>
    >>>Same problem. No Flash images.
    >>>
    >>>This interesting to note: While the page www.uav.com is loading, I can
    >>>see the outlines of the placeholders before the image comes up. The
    >>>interesting part is that the navigation bar outline at the bottom that
    >>>should be there (and shows on my wife's computer) is missing on my
    >>>computer.
    >>>
    >>>Mozilla still says that the plug-in is installed and enabled.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>Gerard

    >>You haven't mentioned if you are getting any error messages. If the
    >>plugin was not being read by Moz, you should get a message to download
    >>the plugin.
    >>
    >>Have you ever, by chance installed the Flash CLick to View extension? If
    >>you had on an old version, when you install a new version, it will cause
    >>flash to not display at all, as though it weren't there.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I don't know if this is an error message:
    >
    > http://bob2000.com/uavsite01.jpg
    >
    > Is the fact that it's asking me to d/l Flash an error message?
    >
    > I've never installed the "Flash Click" whatever thingy you've
    > described...at least not that I know of...any way to check?
    >
    > Here is my Mozilla Plug-In page:
    >
    > http://bob2000.com/flashpage01.jpg
    >
    > It's calling the Plug-In "Shockwave Flash." Is this the correct
    > terminology for the Flash Plugin?
    >
    > Anyhow, here is a shot of what I get when I visit this page:
    > http://wp.netscape.com/plugins/manager.html, the Netscape Plug-in
    > manager and checker:
    >
    > http://bob2000.com/flashpage02.jpg
    >
    > The browser tells me it is installed and that it should work. But it
    > doesn't...
    >
    > Thanks for the help!
    >
    > Gerard

    Hm,

    I'm not sure what to say. I've got the same flash plugin installed as
    you, and the page loads just fine in both Moz 1.6a, NS 7.1, and Firebird
    0.7, latest nightly.

    I suggest trying a new profile in Moz, but since you say it doesn't work
    in IE6, there is clearly something wrong with the flashplayer install.

    Al right, I'm reaching now. Do you have a software firewall installed?
    If so, try disabling it to see if the flash plays.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 16, 2003
  13. geewhiz

    geewhiz Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > geewhiz wrote:

    > >>You haven't mentioned if you are getting any error messages. If the
    > >>plugin was not being read by Moz, you should get a message to download
    > >>the plugin.
    > >>
    > >>Have you ever, by chance installed the Flash CLick to View extension? If
    > >>you had on an old version, when you install a new version, it will cause
    > >>flash to not display at all, as though it weren't there.
    > >>
    > >>Lee

    > > I don't know if this is an error message:
    > >
    > > http://bob2000.com/uavsite01.jpg
    > >
    > > Is the fact that it's asking me to d/l Flash an error message?
    > >
    > > I've never installed the "Flash Click" whatever thingy you've
    > > described...at least not that I know of...any way to check?
    > >
    > > Here is my Mozilla Plug-In page:
    > >
    > > http://bob2000.com/flashpage01.jpg
    > >
    > > It's calling the Plug-In "Shockwave Flash." Is this the correct
    > > terminology for the Flash Plugin?
    > >
    > > Anyhow, here is a shot of what I get when I visit this page:
    > > http://wp.netscape.com/plugins/manager.html, the Netscape Plug-in
    > > manager and checker:
    > >
    > > http://bob2000.com/flashpage02.jpg
    > >
    > > The browser tells me it is installed and that it should work. But it
    > > doesn't...
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help!
    > >
    > > Gerard

    > Hm,
    >
    > I'm not sure what to say. I've got the same flash plugin installed as
    > you, and the page loads just fine in both Moz 1.6a, NS 7.1, and Firebird
    > 0.7, latest nightly.
    >
    > I suggest trying a new profile in Moz, but since you say it doesn't work
    > in IE6, there is clearly something wrong with the flashplayer install.
    >
    > Al right, I'm reaching now. Do you have a software firewall installed?
    > If so, try disabling it to see if the flash plays.
    >
    > Lee

    To update: I've run the Flash Uninstaller, rebooted, reinstalled per
    instructions...no go.

    The idea about the software firewall is a good one, but had no effect.
    My wife's computer runs the same firewall, and Flash works ok on hers
    with the firewall active...maybe I'll copy her security profile to my
    computer and see what happens...I've tried low security, medium, and
    custom for the Active X protocols with no change.

    Hmmm...I'm stumped...

    Gerard
    geewhiz, Nov 16, 2003