    compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
    something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
    The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

    leo, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Some general things since I don't have your camera. Do you not trust your
    camera to do a good job on its own? My Oly E-10 does a great job if I just
    pop up the flash on Program mode. I often use just that if caught unawares
    without more tools. Additional tools might include add on flash with bounce
    hood and sometimes a slave flash to get the background lit up too.

    Try it on auto and see if you need to adjust. ISO 800 seems a bit much. 1/60
    is good...some cameras do it faster. F-stop depends on guide number and
    distance. Keep people wearing white and white objects to the rear. Move
    people wearing black to the side and forward.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 5, 2004

  3. In article <etEid.4534$>,
    "leo" <> wrote:

    > What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
    > lights?
    >
    > Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
    >
    > By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
    > compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
    > something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
    > The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

    You might want to tint the flash so it matches the incandescent light
    better. Adjust the shutter time to control how much ambient lighting
    you capture.

    I wouldn't look for "the correct way." It's going to vary for each
    situation. Luckily you can experiment on a digicam before doing the
    serious shooting.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 5, 2004
  4. leo

    leo Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > Some general things since I don't have your camera. Do you not trust your
    > camera to do a good job on its own? My Oly E-10 does a great job if I just
    > pop up the flash on Program mode. I often use just that if caught unawares
    > without more tools. Additional tools might include add on flash with
    > bounce
    > hood and sometimes a slave flash to get the background lit up too.
    >
    > Try it on auto and see if you need to adjust. ISO 800 seems a bit much.
    > 1/60
    > is good...some cameras do it faster. F-stop depends on guide number and
    > distance. Keep people wearing white and white objects to the rear. Move
    > people wearing black to the side and forward.
    >

    > "leo" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
    >> lights?
    >>
    >> Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
    >>
    >> By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
    >> compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I

    > do
    >> something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure
    >> compensation?
    >> The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

    ISO 800 is an attempt to capture the background farther from the subjects.

    I found out when using manual mode, I have to do a pre-flash for FEL to get
    the same result as P mode.

    Nevertheless, it's still underexpose in some situations and I have to set
    FEC.

    leo, Nov 5, 2004
  5. leo

    zeitgeist Guest

    > What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
    > lights?
    >
    > Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
    >
    > By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
    > compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I

    do
    > something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
    > The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

    I set the flash as low as I can, use a tripod and set the shutter so the
    ambient light level comes up to one stop under the flash expo. this gives
    me lots of detail in the background and a great sense of depth.

    also, I wouldn't discount bounce, especially if you use a tripod. its
    digital, give it a try, if it doesn't work delete.

    zeitgeist, Nov 5, 2004
  6. leo

    Crownfield Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > In article <etEid.4534$>,
    > "leo" <> wrote:
    >
    > > What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
    > > lights?
    > >
    > > Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
    > >
    > > By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
    > > compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
    > > something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
    > > The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

    > You might want to tint the flash

    calumetphoto.com sells gells
    that convert daylight / flash to tungsten.

    Crownfield, Nov 5, 2004
  7. leo

    Don Guest

    I use a 10D and 550 EX, so don't think there would be too much difference
    with your rebel and 550EX. Unless I wish to use slow or high speed sync
    then the program mode will work very well for you as the whole system as a
    package is very smart. Learn to use the flash exposure lock if the rebel
    has it as this is great for shooting in pubs and other such places where the
    light is all over the place. I have been trying to find a good book on
    flash photography myself but apart from sum minor stuff by John Freeman and
    Arthur Morris I haven't come across much so would be interested in any
    feedback on good publications as well.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Nov 7, 2004