    extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
    command prompt?

    Mel
    MB, Jul 11, 2004

  2. MB

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:39:38 -0400, "MB" <> wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). It has XP Home and a USB 2.0 port. I also have
    >a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a working USB 1.1 port, but uses W98. I
    >would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
    >that I can use with my Gateway.
    >
    >I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
    >device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?

    Yes

    >I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
    >have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
    >cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)?

    They all seem to work equally well. I have the Sony 512 Meg Micro Vault.
    Search Google for the best price.

    > Also, does it act just like an extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
    >command prompt?

    Yes, when plugged in, it's assigned a drive letter.
    You need to install drivers for Win9x. Anything later is recognized
    immediately. They work with USB 1.1, just slower.

    Unk, Jul 11, 2004

  3. MB

    Max Guest

    In article <>, MB
    <> wrote:

    > I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
    > have some questions: Is there any specific brand

    No; I haven't seen any reviews condemning any particular brand.

    > (if so, what would be the
    > cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)?

    Cost is going to vary wildly everywhere. This is a popular item that
    will be on sale in a lot of stores and in a lot of forms.

    > Also, does it act just like an
    > extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
    > command prompt?

    It is SUPPOSED to -- whether it actually does depends on the OS.
    Max, Jul 11, 2004