Flash Memory overheating

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by chriswyatt@hotmail.co.uk, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I used my iDisk Wave, which is a 1 gigabyte flash memory card on my
    parent's notebook PC and transferred all my files across and almost
    everything on the disk corrupted. It was in the left side of the
    notebook which gets quite hot so I assumed that the device had
    overheated.

    I read on a website that overheating can cause write errors, corrupt
    data and make parts of the memory irretrievable, seems like a likely
    cause:
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Reviews/CNetX_FlashFormat/FlashFormat_01.htm.

    I told Pretec about my problem and they suggested returning the
    product, although I formatted it and am having no problems with it at
    the moment but I'm keeping regular backups just in case. Neither
    Pretec or technical support from the supplier made the connection that
    it had overheated, I mentioned this to both of them, Pretec said it was
    a hardware problem, whatever that means?

    So, does anyone here have any knowledge about memory cards and
    overheating and would it have done any permanent damage to my memory
    card? Perhaps, possibly shortening the life of the drive.

    To be safe, I'm probably going to return it but I would have liked a
    more detailed response from technical support.

    p.s. I kept getting a write error at a certain point on the memory, I
    formatted a few times and managed to successfully write to it.

    , Jan 6, 2006

  2. Erick Guest

    Overheating Flash memory is a sign of one or more of the chips going bad or
    the port supplying too much power, both of which are hardware problems.
    Flash memory should never overheat under normal situations, even while doing
    a large data transfer.

    Erick, Jan 7, 2006