    Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
    that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

    Thanks, Bob
    Robert M. Mazo, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Robert M. Mazo

    Eric Gill Guest

    Robert M. Mazo <> wrote in
    news::

    > A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
    > and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
    > Can anyone verify this?

    Yes. Furthermore, you can burn the digitals with overvoltage from older
    flashguns. You *really* need to be cautious when hooking old equipment to
    new bodies, and make sure they use no more than about 6 volts.

    > Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
    > that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

    Not until you can establish what sort of juice it's going to put through
    the hot shoe, no.
    Eric Gill, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Robert M. Mazo

    Mark B. Guest

    "Robert M. Mazo" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Sunpack 433AF for Canon flash that I have been using for some
    > years with a Rebel XS film camera. I recently bought a Rebel XT D
    > digital (which, incidentally, I like very much). The XT does not
    > recognize that the flash is attached when I insert it into the hot
    > shoe. I checked that (a) the flash still works perfectly on the film
    > camera and (b) a Canon flash marketed specifically as an accessory to
    > its digital line works perfectly on the XT, so it is not a defective
    > part causing the XT problem.
    >
    > A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
    > and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
    > Can anyone verify this?
    >
    > Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
    > that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?
    >
    > Thanks, Bob

    Even if you use a device such as a Wein Safe Sync to regulate the voltage
    down under 5 volts, I'm pretty sure this Sunpak is dedicated for Canon TTL
    only. Canon digital needs E-TTL for through the lens automatic flash;
    that's why the older Canon EZ flashes won't do auto flash on their digital
    bodies. So it has more to do with the exposure system than the voltage.

    Metz & Sigma both make E-TTL flashes. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG gets
    consistently good comments from users. I have the non-DG version and use it
    without major problems on a 10D.

    You can use a flash that has an independent thyristor such as the 383 Super.
    I used one briefly on a Canon G1 before getting the 420EX; if I recall, the
    voltage on the 383 was under 6 volts but the exposures with the 420EX were
    much better.

    Mark
    Mark B., Mar 25, 2005