    Gordon Guest

    Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
    around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    Gordon, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Gordon wrote:
    > Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
    > around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they
    >> been around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    > Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?

    No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares with
    (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....

    Gordon, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Gordon

    Cub Guest

    Cub, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Gordon

    Cub Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they
    >>> been around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    >> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?
    >>

    > No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
    > with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....

    R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years

    do a google , this was on the first page , i guess the more you pay in some
    cases the better the components

    cub

    Cub, Jun 18, 2007
  6. Gordon

    Cub Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?
    >>>

    >> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
    >> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....
    >>

    > R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years
    >
    > do a google , this was on the first page , i guess the more you pay in
    > some cases the better the components
    >

    > cub

    BTW

    If you back up on to several pen drives the chances of all failing would be
    ??? very small i guess

    Cub, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Gordon

    al jones Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:53:11 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
    > around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    Don't know about long term retention but I know mine's been through the
    washer twice and the dryer(!) once with no ill affects. Even cleaned the
    outside nicely, though I wouldn't recomment it as a regular means of
    cleaning.

    al jones, Jun 18, 2007
  8. Gordon

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:56:23 +0100, Cub wrote:

    >> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
    >> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....
    >>

    > R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years

    The word was correctly spelled right above and still you couldn't get it
    right.

    RETENTION

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)

    Aardvark, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Gordon

    Plato Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
    > around long enough for anyone to find out?)

    Yes they have a limited life span, just like any other PC device.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 19, 2007