Flash drives slow down over time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. Apparently it's a hardware issue
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=2628>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Mar 28, 6:57 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Apparently it's a hardware issue
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=2628>.

    The problem is that a multi-page block needs to be erased the re-
    written in order to free up pages that have been logically but not
    physically deleted.

    It looks like a "defrag" program for flash drives would fix this and
    restore top-speed performance.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Mar 28, 2009

  3. In message <33230494-d058-4050-
    >, Ron McNulty wrote:

    > On Mar 28, 6:57 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently it's a hardware issue
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=2628>.

    > The problem is that a multi-page block needs to be erased the re-
    > written in order to free up pages that have been logically but not
    > physically deleted.

    Deletion is a filesystem thing. As far as the drive is concerned, sectors
    cannot be created or deleted, they can only be read and written.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2009
  4. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Apparently it's a hardware issue
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=2628>.

    >But surely only on Windows platforms, Larry !

    :) ... surely they start slower in windows. :)

    I admit, I'm still confused. Why does anyone read lawrences posts ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 30, 2009
  5. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "geoff"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> But surely only on Windows platforms, Larry !

    >> :) ... surely they start slower in windows. :)
    >>
    >> I admit, I'm still confused. Why does anyone read lawrences posts ? :)

    >Sado-masochistic pleasure.

    LOL :) Excellent answer :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 30, 2009
  6. In message <gqmf1g$e35$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Deletion is a filesystem thing. As far as the drive is concerned, sectors
    > cannot be created or deleted, they can only be read and written.

    Turns out flash drives are about to become an exception
    <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kernel-advances/index.html>:

    A fundamental problem with SSDs is that they must wear-level the blocks
    in their internal flash, and wear-leveling can reduce the lifetime of the
    SSD. One way to reduce this effect is by telling the SSD when a block is
    no longer valid (perhaps because of a file deletion). When a block is
    freed in the SSD, it is no longer a target of wear-leveling and
    therefore can minimize the overall wear on the device. But to support
    this operation, the file system must be able to communicate this
    information to the drive.

    The T13 standards committee has created a new ATA protocol extension to
    support this communication ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009
  7. In message <>, geoff wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently it's a hardware issue
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=2628>.

    > But surely only on Windows platforms ...

    You said it, I didn't.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009