    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Jan 26, 2009

  2. Jim S

    Tony Guest

    Huh!!?? This must be the stupid post of the month. You save the pictures as
    data and view them as thumbnails. Anymore dimwitted questions?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jan 26, 2009

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:26:00 -0500, Tony wrote:

    > Huh!!?? This must be the stupid post of the month. You save the pictures as
    > data and view them as thumbnails. Anymore dimwitted questions?
    >
    > Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
    >> catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
    >> copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first 5
    >> or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
    >> complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I have
    >> to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the files
    >> normally.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.
    >> --
    >> Jim S

    Thanks Tony
    At some point I will delete them from the HDD then I will want to know
    where/which USB drive they are on. The catalog will SHOW me which is where
    as thumbnails. What's your problem?
    Except that you top-post.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Jan 26, 2009
  4. Jim S

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:20:01 +0000, Jim S wrote:

    > I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk). They contain lots of my
    > photos as a backup in case my HDD fails. Accessing the files directly is
    > no problem. However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a
    > couple of CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I
    > check what has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved
    > thumbnails od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the
    > tell me the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the
    > disk half-way and I have to remove and replace it. This does not happen
    > while accessing the files normally.
    > Any ideas?
    > Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    I'd recommend you format your hard drive.

    Dan C, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Jim S

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:54:07 +0000, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >>I'd recommend you format your hard drive.

    > What about the flash drive?

    Yeah, those should be formatted as well.

    Dan C, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Jim S

    G. Morgan Guest

    Dan C wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:54:07 +0000, G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd recommend you format your hard drive.

    >> What about the flash drive?

    >Yeah, those should be formatted as well.

    Ah, good.

    --

    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    G. Morgan, Jan 27, 2009
  7. Jim S

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:33:40 -0800, alan wrote:

    > "Dan C" <> wrote in message

    >>> What about the flash drive?

    >> Yeah, those should be formatted as well.

    > Hey, if it's even remotely funny once, it'll *always* be funny, right?
    >
    > Overcome, once again, by Dan C's blindingly flashy display of his wit
    > (what's left of it)

    Glad you like it.

    Now bugger off.

    Dan C, Jan 27, 2009
  8. Jim S

    chuckcar Guest

    Jim S <> wrote in

    > I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    > They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    > Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    > However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
    > catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
    > copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first
    > 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
    > complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I
    > have to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the
    > files normally.
    > Any ideas?
    > Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties of
    the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under settings?
    "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there. Removable
    should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one* folder and
    see if it finishes that.

    What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 27, 2009
  9. Jim S

    Peeassha Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > Jim S <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
    >> catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
    >> copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first
    >> 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
    >> complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I
    >> have to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the
    >> files normally.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    > Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    > the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties of
    > the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under settings?
    > "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there. Removable
    > should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one* folder and
    > see if it finishes that.
    >
    > What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    You know what they say ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer. The
    guy posting must have granite for brains as well as thumbnail on the brain
    syndrome.
    I nominate his post for the *daft* post of the month.

    Peeassha, Jan 27, 2009
  10. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

    > Jim S <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
    >> catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
    >> copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first
    >> 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
    >> complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I
    >> have to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the
    >> files normally.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    > Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    > the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties of
    > the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under settings?
    > "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there. Removable
    > should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one* folder and
    > see if it finishes that.
    >
    > What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    The only options are General-Policies-Driver-Details
    The only options are in Policies and using Optimise for quick release or
    Optimise for performance does not seem to make ant difference.
    The HDD uses NTFS - the flash drive uses FAT32
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Jan 27, 2009
  11. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

    > Jim S <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
    >> catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
    >> copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first
    >> 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
    >> complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I
    >> have to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the
    >> files normally.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    > Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    > the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties of
    > the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under settings?
    > "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there. Removable
    > should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one* folder and
    > see if it finishes that.
    >
    > What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops every
    now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work ok - except
    the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Jan 27, 2009
  12. Jim S

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Jim S <> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
    >>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check
    >>> what has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved
    >>> thumbnails od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical
    >>> order the tell me the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I
    >>> had removed the disk half-way and I have to remove and replace it.
    >>> This does not happen while accessing the files normally.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    >> Sounds like it might be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer,
    >> writes the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the
    >> properties of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have
    >> under settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's
    >> there. Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying
    >> only one folder and see if it finishes that.
    >>
    >> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    > If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
    > every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work
    > ok - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

    Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>USB root
    hub>Properties>Power Management Tab>'Uncheck' Allow the computer to turn off
    this device to save power...

    .... Possibly.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

    Keyser Söze, Jan 27, 2009
  13. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:13:57 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

    > Jim S <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jim S <> wrote in

    >>> Sounds like it might be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer,
    >>> writes the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the
    >>> properties of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have
    >>> under settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's
    >>> there. Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying
    >>> only one folder and see if it finishes that.
    >>>
    >>> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    >> If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
    >> every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work
    >> ok - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

    > Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>USB root
    > hub>Properties>Power Management Tab>'Uncheck' Allow the computer to turn off
    > this device to save power...
    >
    > ... Possibly.

    No difference.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Jan 27, 2009
  14. Jim S

    chuckcar Guest

    Jim S <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
    >>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what
    >>> has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails
    >>> od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me
    >>> the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk
    >>> half-way and I have to remove and replace it. This does not happen
    >>> while accessing the files normally.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    >> Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    >> the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties
    >> of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under
    >> settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there.
    >> Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one*
    >> folder and see if it finishes that.
    >>
    >> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    > If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
    > every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work ok
    > - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

    Sure sounds like the device has corrupted data. Try to grab what you can
    and format it. Might also be a "Monday/Friday drive"<G>.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 27, 2009
  15. Jim S

    chuckcar Guest

    Jim S <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
    >>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
    >>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
    >>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
    >>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what
    >>> has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails
    >>> od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me
    >>> the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk
    >>> half-way and I have to remove and replace it. This does not happen
    >>> while accessing the files normally.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

    >> Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
    >> the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties
    >> of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under
    >> settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there.
    >> Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one*
    >> folder and see if it finishes that.
    >>
    >> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

    > The only options are General-Policies-Driver-Details
    > The only options are in Policies and using Optimise for quick release or
    > Optimise for performance does not seem to make ant difference.
    > The HDD uses NTFS - the flash drive uses FAT32

    Hmm. I was thinking perhaps the reverse and you were running into the
    maximum number of directory entries allowed in FAT32.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 27, 2009