    websites in flash (pros vs. cons).

    My current website (I know it has some issues, hence the re-design):
    http://www.chrismaness.com

    Chris, Oct 31, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Chris <> wrote:
    >To flash or not to flash?

    Well, thank you for asking. Personally, I HATE Flash. I consider it to
    be a security risk. When I use a web browser, I prefer that it does
    something that I can understand: render text and graphics. That is
    safe. Flash is evil. Apart from being a mysterious "black box" to the
    user (me), it is also anti-privacy. It permanently stores "settings
    files" (.SOL files) that allow websites to track my web browsing
    behavior. There is a GUI in the Flash client software that allows me
    to opt out of saving these files. But guess what. One day after
    ticking the check box to opt out of saving .SOL files, the check box
    is cleared again! This is what convinced me that Flash is evil.

    My web browser has an extension that allows me to block automatic
    execution of Flash. I only allow Flash to execute when I absolutely
    have to.

    I feel the same way about Java and Javascript. I do like to look at
    peoples' creative efforts, such as yours. But since your efforts seem
    to center on still photography, I see no need for you to use Flash,
    Java, Javascript, ActiveX, and so forth. Any browser that renders text
    and graphics should suffice to present your works.

    Again, thank you most kindly for asking.

    Cheers!
    --
    David Arnstein

    David Arnstein, Oct 31, 2006

  3. Chris

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > To flash or not to flash?
    >
    > I have a current web site that is made with flash. I am debating on
    > whether not to use flash on a new site. All of the best photography
    > websites I have seen utilize flash. If anyone can pass some links to
    > awesome photographer websites that do not use flash, that would be
    > great.
    >
    > Also, I would like to here what you guys think about photographer
    > websites in flash (pros vs. cons).

    I've generally been taught that using flash is a bad idea. The pictures
    just come out bland. And it's useless for landscape photography...

    --
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."-Asimov

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Oct 31, 2006
  4. Chris

    Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > To flash or not to flash?
    >
    > I have a current web site that is made with flash. I am debating on
    > whether not to use flash on a new site. All of the best photography
    > websites I have seen utilize flash. If anyone can pass some links to
    > awesome photographer websites that do not use flash, that would be
    > great.
    >
    > Also, I would like to here what you guys think about photographer
    > websites in flash (pros vs. cons).
    >

    > My current website (I know it has some issues, hence the re-design):
    > http://www.chrismaness.com

    Flash websites absolutely, totally suck. They're the bane of the web.
    They're slow to load, you can't link to individual pages, you can't use
    the back button, you can't right-click to open links in a new window.
    The whole navigation and interface don't work the way people expect
    them to, and they're incredibly frustrating to view and use.

    Small Flash elements are fine, but whole websites done in Flash are a
    designer's masturbation, done without any regard for usability. If I
    come across a site that is done in Flash I usually close it and go away
    because they're so difficult to use. If you want people to actually
    look at the pictures on your site, stay with HTML. There is absolutely
    no reason for Flash websites to exist.

    Oh, and by the way, web design and usability are parts of my job. Any
    designer who actually knows anything about the web hates Flash sites.

    -Gniewko

    , Oct 31, 2006
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    > > To flash or not to flash?
    > >
    > > I have a current web site that is made with flash. I am debating on
    > > whether not to use flash on a new site. All of the best photography
    > > websites I have seen utilize flash. If anyone can pass some links to
    > > awesome photographer websites that do not use flash, that would be
    > > great.
    > >
    > > Also, I would like to here what you guys think about photographer
    > > websites in flash (pros vs. cons).
    > >

    > > My current website (I know it has some issues, hence the re-design):
    > > http://www.chrismaness.com

    > Flash websites absolutely, totally suck. They're the bane of the web.
    > They're slow to load, you can't link to individual pages, you can't use
    > the back button, you can't right-click to open links in a new window.
    > The whole navigation and interface don't work the way people expect
    > them to, and they're incredibly frustrating to view and use.
    >
    > Small Flash elements are fine, but whole websites done in Flash are a
    > designer's masturbation, done without any regard for usability. If I
    > come across a site that is done in Flash I usually close it and go away
    > because they're so difficult to use. If you want people to actually
    > look at the pictures on your site, stay with HTML. There is absolutely
    > no reason for Flash websites to exist.
    >
    > Oh, and by the way, web design and usability are parts of my job. Any
    > designer who actually knows anything about the web hates Flash sites.
    >
    > -Gniewko

    Do any of you guys know of some great examples of sites that are not in
    flash?

    Chris, Oct 31, 2006
  6. Chris

    Rolling Red Guest

    > > Do any of you guys know of some great examples of sites that are not in

    > flash?

    http://www.jbuhler.com

    What stands out is the great photography, and that is what you want
    your visitors to focus on.
    It is simple, clean and does the job.

    I agree 100% with the earlier statements regarding flash.

    Patricia P.
    www.canthave.com

    Rolling Red, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Rolling Red wrote:
    > > > Do any of you guys know of some great examples of sites that are not in

    > > flash?

    > http://www.jbuhler.com
    >
    > What stands out is the great photography, and that is what you want
    > your visitors to focus on.
    > It is simple, clean and does the job.
    >
    > I agree 100% with the earlier statements regarding flash.
    >

    > Patricia P.
    > www.canthave.com

    That's not too bad for html. It still lacks that competitive edge that
    a wedding photog needs. Wedding photography websites need to be VERY
    aesthetically excellent.

    Chris, Nov 1, 2006
  8. Chris

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Chris" <> writes:
    > That's not too bad for html. It still lacks that competitive edge that
    > a wedding photog needs. Wedding photography websites need to be VERY
    > aesthetically excellent.

    Huh? What does that have to do with flash?

    Paul Rubin, Nov 1, 2006
  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Chris" <> writes:
    > > That's not too bad for html. It still lacks that competitive edge that
    > > a wedding photog needs. Wedding photography websites need to be VERY
    > > aesthetically excellent.

    > Huh? What does that have to do with flash?

    It's a little easier to make a great looking website in flash. I'm not
    saying a flash website can't look bad, and a non flash website can't
    look good. It just seems like I've seen more very appealing flash
    websites for photographers.

    Chris Maness

    Chris, Nov 1, 2006
  10. Chris

    MaryL Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > To flash or not to flash?
    >
    > I have a current web site that is made with flash. I am debating on
    > whether not to use flash on a new site. All of the best photography
    > websites I have seen utilize flash. If anyone can pass some links to
    > awesome photographer websites that do not use flash, that would be
    > great.
    >
    > Also, I would like to here what you guys think about photographer
    > websites in flash (pros vs. cons).
    >

    > My current website (I know it has some issues, hence the re-design):
    > http://www.chrismaness.com

    I really dislike flash. I immediately move to another site as soon as I see
    that the web site has been uses flash. I don't know how many others are
    like me, but I suspect there are many -- which could *reduce* traffic to
    your site.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 1, 2006
  11. Chris

    Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    > > "Chris" <> writes:
    > > > That's not too bad for html. It still lacks that competitive edge that
    > > > a wedding photog needs. Wedding photography websites need to be VERY
    > > > aesthetically excellent.

    > > Huh? What does that have to do with flash?

    > It's a little easier to make a great looking website in flash. I'm not
    > saying a flash website can't look bad, and a non flash website can't
    > look good. It just seems like I've seen more very appealing flash
    > websites for photographers.
    >
    > Chris Maness

    A "great looking" website is worthless if it's unusable because it's so
    difficult to navigate. It doesn't matter how cool it looks if nobody
    bothers to look at it. And that's often what happens with Flash
    websites.

    Yes, design matters. But usability matters just as much. I often see
    designers who love their own work so much, they're unable to see how
    painful the browsing experience is to the user. That's how you get all
    those websites with the annoying Flash intros, for example.

    And there really isn't anything about Flash that makes it easier to
    build an appealing site. Sure, it's easier for crappy designers who
    don't know HTML and CSS, because the Flash WYSIWYG interface is easier
    than coding HTML by hand. But a web designer needs to be very
    comfortable with HTML. I'd be very wary of designers who push Flash
    websites. They're often print designers trying to get into web design,
    and since the media are so different, you really don't want that.

    -Gniewko

    , Nov 1, 2006
  12. Chris

    PossumTrot Guest

    I would never be able to use your site because I dislike Flash so much that
    I have used the documented registry hack that prevents it from being
    installed and prevents the prompt to install it.

    Here's a way to disable flash that won't require any additional software,
    but you'll need to be comfortable using regedit:

    This method will disable flash in win XP without any pop-up errors,
    messages, or prompts.

    Click Start, Run, type regedit
    Go to following dir:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/ActiveX
    Compatibility
    Click Edit, New, Key
    Name New Key:
    {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (including the {})
    Now create new DWORD value inside this key.
    Rename this DWORD value to "Compatibility Flags"
    Set Value Data to 400 and Base to Hexadecimal. (0x00000400)

    This may seem complicated but you will see along the way it makes much more
    sense.
    If you want to disable flash correctly without compromising performance this
    is the way.
    To enable flash simply delete the key.

    The above courtesy of http://www.ozoneasylum.com/4999

    PossumTrot, Nov 2, 2006