Flash, clouds, and Linux... insane or right?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Aug 8, 2010.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Hi gang.

    I found this quite interesting.

    The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
    or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
    about all of them.

    I would be interested in seeing some comments.

    =start quote=

    Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
    Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100,
    > wrote:
    >

    > >This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
    > >serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

    > They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
    > Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
    >
    > >Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
    > >viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
    > >once more.

    > There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
    > Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux, and builtin on
    > Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
    > shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
    >
    > There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
    > OSes also, to

    NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
    NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.

    Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
    system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
    software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
    web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
    EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
    been warned - AGAIN.

    Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
    send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
    july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
    flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
    unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
    allow hacking. When will people learn.

    NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
    secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
    Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
    bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
    - clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
    people.

    =end quote=

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.
    thanatoid, Aug 8, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    VanguardLH Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
    > or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
    > about all of them.
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
    >
    > NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
    > NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
    >
    > Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
    > system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
    > software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
    > web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
    > EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
    > been warned - AGAIN.

    So the posters are mixing 2 *different* document types: Flash content
    (and the Flash AX control) and PDF files (using Adobe Reader).

    The vulnerabilities are for Flash Player (the AX control used by your
    web browser) version 10.1.53.64 and earlier. So why haven't you yet
    updated the AX control? This scare is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    While I wouldn't let Adobe Reader update itself, doesn't it still alert
    you when there is an update to let you decide whether to install it or
    not or when? The patch was released June 10, a month ago. The blog you
    mentioned is dated the same day. Old news for users here alas there are
    many users that don't update very often, update rarely, or even some
    that never update. In fact, I've seen users post that they refuse to
    update and don't give a shit about anyone else being afflicted with
    their infected host because they'll just restore an image made just
    after a clean install and start all over (and get infected all over
    again). This is how I've seen some parents handle the computers they
    give their kids: let the kids **** it up beyond usability while
    progressively infecting it with their often illegal downloads and then
    just wipe and restart with a baseline image. All the alerts aren't
    going to affect these deliberately blind users.

    For PDF, make sure to configure WHATEVER viewer app you use (Reader,
    PDF-Xchange, FoxIt) to *not* allow Javascript execution within the .pdf
    file. Then use a different viewer than Adobe's. I like PDF-Xchange.
    VanguardLH, Aug 8, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 06:13:54 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Hi gang.
    >
    > I found this quite interesting.
    >
    > The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid, or simply
    > right. About some of the things he mentions, or about all of them.
    >
    > I would be interested in seeing some comments.

    Nuts.

    Meat Plow, Aug 8, 2010
  4. thanatoid wrote:
    > Hi gang.
    >
    > I found this quite interesting.
    >
    > The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
    > or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
    > about all of them.
    >
    > I would be interested in seeing some comments.

    I would be interested in seeing some cock.
    Preferably spurting.

    > =start quote=
    >
    > Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
    > Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes
    >
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
    >>> serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

    >> They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
    >> Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
    >>
    >>> Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
    >>> viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
    >>> once more.

    >> There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
    >> Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux, and builtin on
    >> Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
    >> shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
    >>
    >> There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
    >> OSes also, to

    > NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
    > NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
    >
    > Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
    > system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
    > software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
    > web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
    > EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
    > been warned - AGAIN.

    Bluh bluh gluh...smeesh! Just use Gnash if yu dont liek Flash?

    > Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
    > send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
    > july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
    > flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
    > unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
    > allow hacking. When will people learn.

    Heh..."code injection"...heh eh heh heh he he heh...

    > NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
    > secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
    > Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
    > bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
    > - clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
    > people.
    >
    > =end quote=

    Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways I
    didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
    instance, all groovy.

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 8, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > Hi gang.
    >
    > I found this quite interesting.
    >
    > The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
    > or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
    > about all of them.
    >
    > I would be interested in seeing some comments.
    >
    > =start quote=
    >
    > Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
    > Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes
    >
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100,
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
    >> >serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

    >> They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
    >> Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
    >>
    >> >Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
    >> >viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
    >> >once more.

    >> There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
    >> Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux,

    Actually Ghostscript is postscript. xpdf is the pdf viewer.

    > and builtin on
    >> Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
    >> shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
    >>
    >> There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
    >> OSes also, to

    > NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
    > NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
    >
    > Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
    > system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
    > software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
    > web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
    > EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
    > been warned - AGAIN.
    >
    > Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
    > send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
    > july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
    > flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
    > unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
    > allow hacking. When will people learn.
    >
    > NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
    > secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
    > Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
    > bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
    > - clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
    > people.

    LOL. Sounds like someone out there need to take their meds again. That
    last paragraph is pure nonsence - short of trojans and spyware doing
    such of course.

    Some kid giving his completely uninformed opinion is my guess. Quite
    possibly due to genuine concern, but certainly not informed concern.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 8, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > nonsence

    WTF?????

    --
    "It must make life pretty easy having a selective-hearing filter in your
    head. That way everybody turns out to be exactly what your first
    Aardvark, Aug 8, 2010
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>That last paragraph is pure nonsence

    > Where do you come up with this stuff, idiot?
    >
    > Seriously.

    OK, I assume both you and Aardvark are talking about chuckcar's
    spelling skills.

    What do you think about my OP and his reply (never mind the
    spelling)?

    thanatoid, Aug 9, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> nonsence

    > WTF?????

    OK, I assume both you and Evan are talking about chuckcar's

    thanatoid, Aug 9, 2010
  9. §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    <snip>
    > Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways I
    > didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
    > instance, all groovy.

    Out of curiosity, which version was that?

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Aug 9, 2010
  10. thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<8dcf0$4c5f7578$4a533956$>:

    >§ñühw¤£f wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways

    >> didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
    >> instance, all groovy.
    >>

    > Out of curiosity, which version was that?
    >
    > n0i

    MEPIS
    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 9, 2010
  11. §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<8dcf0$4c5f7578$4a533956$>:
    >
    >> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways

    >>> didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
    >>> instance, all groovy.
    >>>

    >> Out of curiosity, which version was that?
    >>
    >> n0i
    >>

    > MEPIS

    Tnx. I'll stay away from that one.

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Aug 9, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-08-09, thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >> thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> pinched out a steaming pile
    >> of<8dcf0$4c5f7578$4a533956$>:
    >>
    >>> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>>>
    >>> Out of curiosity, which version was that?
    >>>
    >>> n0i
    >>>

    >> MEPIS

    > Tnx. I'll stay away from that one.
    >
    > n0i

    I'd be very surprised if there was anything nefarious going on; Mepis is
    well thought of - and isn't a big commercial operation. Most likely, there
    was a setting to check for updates automatically - I believe Firefox, for
    example, is inclined to do that all by itself. Checking the system time
    against an online time-server is another possibility. The point about
    /any/ Linux distro is that /you/ are in charge; if you want your system to
    stop doing something, you can make it stop. (Android and perhaps some
    other highly modified OEM installations may lock the user out of
    'administrator' access, though).

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 9, 2010