    Thanks,

    David Payne
    http://www.onecall.com

    TheOneCallGuy, Jun 23, 2006

  2. TheOneCallGuy

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >TheOneCallGuy wrote:
    > Would you pay more for SimpleTech versus Delkin? If they were the same
    > price which would you choose to purchase?

    People using fast dSLRs often look for speed, ie how long it takes to
    clear the buffer. Delkin does poorly in these tests and the guy who
    does the most widespread testing doesn't even test SimpleTech (perhaps
    because it's just a re-brand?), so for this market segment the answer
    is "neither". For two examples (Nikon D70, Canon 1D M II N) check
    these sites ... the faster cards are all pretty much SanDisk and Lexars
    and they are 50% faster than the fastest Delkin he tested.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8200
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

    People using slower cameras or people who don't really care about how
    long it takes between shots once the buffer is full probably base their
    decision on price.

    > Does brand really matter at
    > all anymore in the flash memory space?

    As long as SanDisk and Lexar are noticeably faster than the other
    brands then of course it matters, to me at least ... the market segment
    buying based on price probably doesn't care much though.

    > After taking a look at the flash card sales versus camera sales at
    > OneCall.com I wanted to find out if bringing in a different flash card
    > vendor would help us to sell more flash cards. My thought is that
    > SimpleTech carries a better brand name ...

    Maybe ask Galbraith why he doesn't even bother testing SimpleTech cards
    then? (Or at least not for the two cameras mentioned in the above
    links)

    > ... but wanted to get your feedback
    > before making any drastic decisions.
    >
    > Anyone want to chime in??

    So long as Lexar and SanDisk make the fastest cards they'll get my
    business. Why don't you carry them instead of (or in addition to)
    Delkin and SimpleTech?

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Bill Hilton wrote:
    > People using fast dSLRs often look for speed, ie how long it takes to
    > clear the buffer. Delkin does poorly in these tests and the guy who
    > does the most widespread testing doesn't even test SimpleTech (perhaps
    > because it's just a re-brand?), so for this market segment the answer
    > is "neither". For two examples (Nikon D70, Canon 1D M II N) check
    > these sites ... the faster cards are all pretty much SanDisk and Lexars
    > and they are 50% faster than the fastest Delkin he tested.
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8200
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

    If I can get Rob to review the SimpleTech brand of cards and they get
    decent performance, would that make all the difference? Or would you
    still be branded with Lexar or SanDisk?

    > People using slower cameras or people who don't really care about how
    > long it takes between shots once the buffer is full probably base their
    > decision on price.

    And the http://www.onecall.com demographic is the high end DSLR users
    and high end A/V users. Thus why I am using this forum for some
    feedback (similiar demographic). However, our flash sales to camera
    sales is not what it should be based off of my knowledge of what
    OneCall's competitors are selling in flash cards.

    > Maybe ask Galbraith why he doesn't even bother testing SimpleTech cards
    > then? (Or at least not for the two cameras mentioned in the above
    > links)

    I will give Rob a call as well as Phil at DPReview (I participated in
    getting him product for a review he did several years ago) and see if
    we can get them to test the SimpleTech cards.

    > So long as Lexar and SanDisk make the fastest cards they'll get my
    > business. Why don't you carry them instead of (or in addition to)
    > Delkin and SimpleTech?

    Our problem with Lexar and SanDisk is the chicken and the egg scenario.
    We don't do enough business to warrant getting highly competitive
    prices but we can't sell a decent number of cards without having the
    competitive prices. Thus, a bit of a paradox. I once worked for
    SimpleTech and they are very hungry to help us grow our flash memory
    business to come in line with the ratio we should have between camera
    sales and flash sales. But is it worth the hassle if the customers
    just want SanDisk or Lexar?

    David Payne
    http://www.onecall.com

    TheOneCallGuy, Jun 23, 2006
  4. TheOneCallGuy

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >TheOneCallGuy wrote:
    > If I can get Rob to review the SimpleTech brand of cards and they get
    > decent performance, would that make all the difference? Or would you
    > still be branded with Lexar or SanDisk?

    You would need three things ... similar performance, similar (or,
    ideally, lower) price, similar warranty ... at one time SanDisk offered
    a "Lifetime Replacement" warranty if a card went bad, for example,
    while many companies had only one year or three year limited
    warranties.

    >> So long as Lexar and SanDisk make the fastest cards they'll get my
    >> business. Why don't you carry them instead of (or in addition to)
    >> Delkin and SimpleTech?

    > Our problem with Lexar and SanDisk is the chicken and the egg scenario.
    > We don't do enough business to warrant getting highly competitive
    > prices but we can't sell a decent number of cards without having the
    > competitive prices.

    Like a lot of people on this newsgroup I buy a lot from B&H PhotoVideo,
    so that's your price and service benchmark for being competitive.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2006