    Just wondering, cuz the bulbs are BUILT IN, which means you have to
    just hope they never blow out for the life of the camera? How many
    flashes are they usually rated to?

    Martin Lynch, Oct 15, 2004

    Some info here: http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/strbfaq.htm

    Charles Schuler, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Martin Lynch

    George Guest

    > What kind of bulb is used on the built-in flashes for most standard
    > cameras?
    >
    > Just wondering, cuz the bulbs are BUILT IN, which means you have to
    > just hope they never blow out for the life of the camera? How many
    > flashes are they usually rated to?

    First, on terminology...the reusable ones (electronic flashes) are referred
    to as
    flash tubes (specifically, they are xenon flash tubes with xenon being a
    noble gas).
    I don't know what the usual life is (I suspect hundred of thousands or even
    millions
    of flashes...the capacitors go bad far sooner than any flash tube I've ever
    seen...I
    even have a 31 year old one still working fine with original tube and
    capacitor and
    it has seen use on Nikon F, F2, FM, FM2n, N8008, and D70 with each camera
    being purchased new while in production. Should it ever go out, xenon flash
    tube
    manufacturers can be readily found in the Thomas Register and companies like
    bulbman.com carry them.

    I would worry more about how long I'd last rather than the flash tube... <g>

    George

    George, Oct 18, 2004