    time the 550 fires? Kinda like "fill" flash for the front while the 550 is
    bouncing?

    Bryce.

    Bryce, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Bryce

    Onepercentf Guest

    I use the Manfrotto 233B bracket, which works well enough. You can only get
    the built-in flash to fire at the same time as the 550ex if you use a pc wire
    connected to a hot shoe to fire the 550ex manually - not worth doing as you
    will lose the E-TTL function. The only way of having two Canon flashes working
    together on the 10D is to use the 550ex as a master and another one (or a
    420ex) working as a slave. However you can only do this with the wireless
    (infrared?) method, as Canon do not make a wired connector that will work - I
    know as I have tried to use the old wiring system which allowed one flash to
    sit on the camera, and the other one on a bracket. This works fine with the
    Canon EOS 3, for instance, but will not fire at all on the 10D. The problem
    with the wireless system is that it won't work if there are a lot of soft
    furnishings (I tried this in a theatre with lots of curtains) as the wireless
    beams will just get absorbed and not bounced, so the two flash guns will not
    communicate with each other. You could use the 550 on the camera (for example
    bouncing of the ceiling) and have an ordinary flash on a bracket connected with
    a PC lead. Let me know what works for you as I would be interested in this
    setup myself. regards, David

    Onepercentf, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Bryce

    Bryce Guest

    Excuse my lack of knowlege.... what's a pc lead?

    Bryce, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Bryce

    Onepercentf Guest

    A PC lead is the most basic sort of flash lead. If you look under the rubber
    cover on the side of the 10D you will find a socket where the PC lead goes
    (next to the remote control socket). It is probably not called a PC lead
    everywhere, but that is what I call it (!) You can get hotshoe adapters that
    have a hotshoe (for mounting on a bracket) and a wire with a PC plug on the end
    for connecting to the camera. this will fire the flash, but is usually used in
    a studio setup where you would measure the flash with a (flash)meter. regards,
    David

    Onepercentf, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Bryce

    Robertwgross Guest

    David wrote:
    >The only way of having two Canon flashes working
    >together on the 10D is to use the 550ex as a master and another one (or a
    >420ex) working as a slave. However you can only do this with the wireless
    >(infrared?) method, as Canon do not make a wired connector that will work - I
    >know as I have tried to use the old wiring system which allowed one flash to
    >sit on the camera, and the other one on a bracket.

    There are more options than that. If you want to use the Canon wireless system,
    then you can put the STE2 transmitter on the camera and then place one to
    several 550EX or 420EX flash units around.

    If you abandon E-TTL, there are sync cables and sync cable distributors that
    will allow multiple flash units to be used at the same time.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Apr 13, 2004