    software is called Flash Switch (www.flashswitch.com).
    I absolutely can not stand flash especially when used in ads. Why
    dont this software work in FF?
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Gerry Atrick

    Guest

    On Jan 24, 10:06 am, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:
    > I have a flash blocker that works fine on IE but dont do anything in
    > Firefox. Why dont it work of FF? I always have it turned on. The
    > software is called Flash Switch (www.flashswitch.com).
    > I absolutely can not stand flash especially when used in ads. Why
    > dont this software work in FF?

    read the second thing of the "Key features of FlashSwitch are:" says
    and you'll find your answer.

    If you want to block flash, then you need the flashblocker extension:
    http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
    , Jan 24, 2007

  3. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On 24 Jan 2007 12:58:40 -0800,
    wrote:

    >On Jan 24, 10:06 am, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:
    >> I have a flash blocker that works fine on IE but dont do anything in
    >> Firefox. Why dont it work of FF? I always have it turned on. The
    >> software is called Flash Switch (www.flashswitch.com).
    >> I absolutely can not stand flash especially when used in ads. Why
    >> dont this software work in FF?

    >read the second thing of the "Key features of FlashSwitch are:" says
    >and you'll find your answer.
    >
    >If you want to block flash, then you need the flashblocker extension:
    >http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    I need a flashblocker for Firefox version 0.9. That link insists I
    must have FF 1.0 or higher. I was using newer versions of FF, and all
    of them were full of bugs with 2.0 being the worst. I downgraded to
    the best version of FF which is 0.9 and have no intention of upgrading
    again. There must be something for 0.9. I really doubt that when
    that version was new people were forced to cope with flash garbage. I
    like FF as long as I dont have to upgrade, but if I got to keep seeing
    that flash crap, I may have to go back to IE.
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 25, 2007
  4. On 2007-01-24, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:

    > I have a flash blocker that works fine on IE but dont do anything in
    > Firefox. Why dont it work of FF? I always have it turned on. The
    > software is called Flash Switch (www.flashswitch.com).
    > I absolutely can not stand flash especially when used in ads. Why
    > dont this software work in FF?

    Probably because it's designed to work with IE. But what's wrong with
    "FlashBlock?" It works for me: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    --

    -John ()
    John Thompson, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Gerry Atrick

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:33:51 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > On 24 Jan 2007 12:58:40 -0800,
    > wrote:

    [...]
    >>If you want to block flash, then you need the flashblocker extension:
    >>http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    > I need a flashblocker for Firefox version 0.9. That link insists I
    > must have FF 1.0 or higher.

    Go to the "Installation" link:
    <http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation1.html> and look down the
    bottom of the page for "Older Versions" and where to download.

    Go to the "History" link: <http://flashblock.mozdev.org/history.html>
    to find a suitable version to download and try.

    > I was using newer versions of FF, and all
    > of them were full of bugs with 2.0 being the worst. I downgraded to
    > the best version of FF which is 0.9 and have no intention of upgrading
    > again. There must be something for 0.9. I really doubt that when
    > that version was new people were forced to cope with flash garbage. I
    > like FF as long as I dont have to upgrade, but if I got to keep seeing
    > that flash crap, I may have to go back to IE.

    Alternately, uninstall the 'flash crap' and/or disable JavaScript etc.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:32:04 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:33:51 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >
    >> On 24 Jan 2007 12:58:40 -0800,
    >> wrote:

    >[...]
    >>>If you want to block flash, then you need the flashblocker extension:
    >>>http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    >> I need a flashblocker for Firefox version 0.9. That link insists I
    >> must have FF 1.0 or higher.

    >Go to the "Installation" link:
    ><http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation1.html> and look down the
    >bottom of the page for "Older Versions" and where to download.
    >
    >Go to the "History" link: <http://flashblock.mozdev.org/history.html>
    >to find a suitable version to download and try.
    >
    >> I was using newer versions of FF, and all
    >> of them were full of bugs with 2.0 being the worst. I downgraded to
    >> the best version of FF which is 0.9 and have no intention of upgrading
    >> again. There must be something for 0.9. I really doubt that when
    >> that version was new people were forced to cope with flash garbage. I
    >> like FF as long as I dont have to upgrade, but if I got to keep seeing
    >> that flash crap, I may have to go back to IE.

    >Alternately, uninstall the 'flash crap' and/or disable JavaScript etc.

    Thanks for the help

    I found 2 of them for 0.9. Not sure which one to use???
    I unzipped the one I got, but what do I do with it now?

    There is no .EXE file included.....
    I'm lost !!!
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Gerry Atrick

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:12:33 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > I found 2 of them for 0.9. Not sure which one to use???
    > I unzipped the one I got, but what do I do with it now?
    >
    > There is no .EXE file included.....
    > I'm lost !!!

    The file is an .xpi - the extension used to package extensions.

    Drag the .xpi file you downloaded and saved into the Firefox window.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jan 25, 2007
  8. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:22 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:12:33 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >
    >> I found 2 of them for 0.9. Not sure which one to use???
    >> I unzipped the one I got, but what do I do with it now?
    >>
    >> There is no .EXE file included.....
    >> I'm lost !!!

    >The file is an .xpi - the extension used to package extensions.
    >
    >Drag the .xpi file you downloaded and saved into the Firefox window.

    Thanks again, Rom. Sorry, I'm still puzzled. I tried to frag it into
    the firefox when it's opened to the homepage. Nothing happened. Also
    the files I downloaded (2 of them listed for 0.9) are named
    "filename.xpi.zip" after they are downloaded. For the heck of it, I
    removed the .zip part of the name.

    Did you mean drag it into the folder or directory where FF is
    installed. I never dealt with this kind of file before.

    Thanks
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 25, 2007
  9. Gerry Atrick

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:17:52 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:22 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    [...]
    >>The file is an .xpi - the extension used to package extensions.
    >>
    >>Drag the .xpi file you downloaded and saved into the Firefox window.

    > Thanks again, Rom. Sorry, I'm still puzzled. I tried to frag it into
    > the firefox when it's opened to the homepage. Nothing happened. Also
    > the files I downloaded (2 of them listed for 0.9) are named
    > "filename.xpi.zip" after they are downloaded. For the heck of it, I
    > removed the .zip part of the name.

    I'd say it's something like a personal firewall or antivirus on your
    system that's doing the renaming, as they are .xpi files and download
    correctly as is.

    > Did you mean drag it into the folder or directory where FF is
    > installed. I never dealt with this kind of file before.

    Have you installed Firefox extensions before?

    I don't recall back to Firefox 0.9, so can't give exact details.

    There's two ways to install extensions:
    1. an 'auto' install, where you click an .xpi link in a web page and
    are prompted to install.

    2. a 'manual' install, where you download and save an .xpi file to
    disk. Use Explorer to locate the saved .xpi file, then with Firefox
    open drag the .xpi file onto an open Firefox tab/window and drop it,
    and are prompted to install. Or open the Extension Manager window
    (Tools > Extensions?) then drag the .xpi file and drop it onto the
    Extension Manager window. Or in Firefox use File > Open File...

    Firefox needs to open the .xpi file to install the extension.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jan 25, 2007
  10. Gerry Atrick

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 4:17 am, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:22 +1100, Rom <> wrote:
    > >On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:12:33 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > >> I found 2 of them for 0.9. Not sure which one to use???
    > >> I unzipped the one I got, but what do I do with it now?

    > >> There is no .EXE file included.....
    > >> I'm lost !!!

    > >The file is an .xpi - the extension used to package extensions.

    > >Drag the .xpi file you downloaded and saved into the Firefox window.Thanks again, Rom. Sorry, I'm still puzzled. I tried to frag it into

    > the firefox when it's opened to the homepage. Nothing happened. Also
    > the files I downloaded (2 of them listed for 0.9) are named
    > "filename.xpi.zip" after they are downloaded. For the heck of it, I
    > removed the .zip part of the name.

    what have you got running in the background? Something is changing the
    name such as a firewall or antivirus checker or something else. It
    should be filename.xpi and nothing else.

    an xpi file is just another way of zipping things. If you change the
    xpi to zip you will be able to open that file with your zip program.

    > Did you mean drag it into the folder or directory where FF is
    > installed. I never dealt with this kind of file before.
    >
    > Thanks

    There are three ways to installing extensions.

    First, minimize the FF window so you can see both FF and the file you
    want to install. Now just drag it over to FF and it should install.

    2: Click on Tools, Extension Manager and install it from there.

    3: Click on File, Open and install it that way.
    , Jan 25, 2007
  11. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:00:58 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:17:52 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:22 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >[...]
    >>>The file is an .xpi - the extension used to package extensions.
    >>>
    >>>Drag the .xpi file you downloaded and saved into the Firefox window.

    >> Thanks again, Rom. Sorry, I'm still puzzled. I tried to frag it into
    >> the firefox when it's opened to the homepage. Nothing happened. Also
    >> the files I downloaded (2 of them listed for 0.9) are named
    >> "filename.xpi.zip" after they are downloaded. For the heck of it, I
    >> removed the .zip part of the name.

    >I'd say it's something like a personal firewall or antivirus on your
    >system that's doing the renaming, as they are .xpi files and download
    >correctly as is.

    There is no AV program running. It's run manually only. No firewall
    either. I always try to run the minimum amount of things at startup
    to preserve memory and resources. It's a Pentium III 700mhz with 256M
    memory. Running Win98SE and a 56K dialup connection.

    This is what is loaded at startup
    Startup files (Using startup Manager)

    C-media mixer (for sound card)
    LoadPowerProfile - rundll32.dll
    Loadqm - loadqm.exe
    Scanregistry -scanreg.exe -(at boottime)
    StillImageMonitor - stimon.exe
    SystemTray - systray.exe

    >> Did you mean drag it into the folder or directory where FF is
    >> installed. I never dealt with this kind of file before.

    >Have you installed Firefox extensions before?

    NO, except those that were installed by clicking on them on a website
    and they install themselves.

    >I don't recall back to Firefox 0.9, so can't give exact details.
    >
    >There's two ways to install extensions:
    >1. an 'auto' install, where you click an .xpi link in a web page and
    >are prompted to install.
    >
    >2. a 'manual' install, where you download and save an .xpi file to
    >disk. Use Explorer to locate the saved .xpi file, then with Firefox
    >open drag the .xpi file onto an open Firefox tab/window and drop it,
    >and are prompted to install. Or open the Extension Manager window
    >(Tools > Extensions?) then drag the .xpi file and drop it onto the
    >Extension Manager window. Or in Firefox use File > Open File...
    >
    >Firefox needs to open the .xpi file to install the extension.

    I have tried all of these methods. Nothing happens at all. I
    downloaded 4 files.
    These are the ones I tried.

    flashblock-0.9RC.xpi
    flashblock-0.9PR.xpi
    flashblock-1.3.0.1.xpi
    flashblock-1.3.2-rc1.xpi

    ------------

    If I unzip one of these, with winzip, this is what I see........

    Directory of C:\temp

    INSTALL.RDF
    CHROME.manifest

    CHROME <DIR>
    Directory of C:\temp\chrome\FLASHBLOCK.JAR

    DEFAULTS <DIR>
    Directory of C:\temp\defaults\preferences\FLASHBLOCK.JS

    I have no idea what else to try.....

    Thanks
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 25, 2007
  12. Gerry Atrick

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:43:01 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:00:58 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    [...]
    > There is no AV program running. It's run manually only. No firewall
    > either. I always try to run the minimum amount of things at startup
    > to preserve memory and resources. It's a Pentium III 700mhz with 256M
    > memory. Running Win98SE and a 56K dialup connection.

    A mystery for you to solve.

    If you go to <https://addons.mozilla.org/> and find/select an
    extension, then instead of clicking the "Install now" button,
    right-click it and select "Save Link As..." from the context menu.
    Look at the File name and Save as type boxes of the "Save As" window.
    Does it have a .zip or .xpi extension after saving?

    >>Have you installed Firefox extensions before?

    > NO, except those that were installed by clicking on them on a website
    > and they install themselves.

    That's what I referred to as "an 'auto' install" below.

    >>I don't recall back to Firefox 0.9, so can't give exact details.
    >>
    >>There's two ways to install extensions:
    >>1. an 'auto' install, where you click an .xpi link in a web page and
    >>are prompted to install.
    >>
    >>2. a 'manual' install, where you download and save an .xpi file to
    >>disk. Use Explorer to locate the saved .xpi file, then with Firefox
    >>open drag the .xpi file onto an open Firefox tab/window and drop it,
    >>and are prompted to install. Or open the Extension Manager window
    >>(Tools > Extensions?) then drag the .xpi file and drop it onto the
    >>Extension Manager window. Or in Firefox use File > Open File...
    >>
    >>Firefox needs to open the .xpi file to install the extension.

    > I have tried all of these methods. Nothing happens at all.

    Did you try "1. an 'auto' install" above?
    Go to where the older versions of Flashblock are found
    <http://downloads.mozdev.org/flashblock/> and click on one suitable
    for Firefox 0.9.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jan 26, 2007
  13. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:18:15 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:43:01 -0600, Gerry Atrick wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:00:58 +1100, Rom <> wrote:

    >[...]
    >> There is no AV program running. It's run manually only. No firewall
    >> either. I always try to run the minimum amount of things at startup
    >> to preserve memory and resources. It's a Pentium III 700mhz with 256M
    >> memory. Running Win98SE and a 56K dialup connection.

    >A mystery for you to solve.

    It was at first. Now I give up. It's gone from being a simple task
    to being a challenge, to complete aggravated frustration. Three days
    of fighting with this is enough for me. Now I remember why I hated
    Firefox before and deleted it. I sort of forgot how much it pissed me
    off. I only went back to 0.9 to use on sites that look like a
    security risk with IE. At least 0.9 was simple compared to the newer
    versions. Simple till it comes to plugins. I guess when a person
    gets to my old age this is just not for me. Setting up these plugins
    in FF is almost worst than the time I tried Linux about 10 years ago.
    I just cant stomach software that needs hours and days of tinkering,
    and I can see setting up these plugins is just that way. I'll just
    have to use IE most of the time, and live with the flash the few times
    I do use FF. I think FF has possibilities, but until the authors make
    installing these plugins easier, it will never become a browser for
    just anyone. A computer whiz might be able to handle all this hassle,
    but not an old fart like me, who hates fighting with a computer. I
    just want to USE my browser, not fight with it and have to keep
    fussing with controls and plugins.

    >If you go to <https://addons.mozilla.org/> and find/select an
    >extension, then instead of clicking the "Install now" button,
    >right-click it and select "Save Link As..." from the context menu.
    >Look at the File name and Save as type boxes of the "Save As" window.
    >Does it have a .zip or .xpi extension after saving?

    I did this exactly as you said. When I right click and say "save as"
    I get the .XPI file downloaded. But it does nothing. I tried every
    possible method recommended to me in this thread. The drag and drop,
    the Options/Extensions window, etc. When I am on
    https://addons.mozilla.org and click "install now", nothing happens
    either. I give up..... I'm much too frustrated by now.....

    >>>Have you installed Firefox extensions before?

    >> NO, except those that were installed by clicking on them on a website
    >> and they install themselves.

    >That's what I referred to as "an 'auto' install" below.

    That dont work either. Besides flashblock, I tried something called
    cookie (something). And tried another one (whatever that was).
    Nothing will install.

    >>>I don't recall back to Firefox 0.9, so can't give exact details.
    >>>
    >>>There's two ways to install extensions:
    >>>1. an 'auto' install, where you click an .xpi link in a web page and
    >>>are prompted to install.
    >>>
    >>>2. a 'manual' install, where you download and save an .xpi file to
    >>>disk. Use Explorer to locate the saved .xpi file, then with Firefox
    >>>open drag the .xpi file onto an open Firefox tab/window and drop it,
    >>>and are prompted to install. Or open the Extension Manager window
    >>>(Tools > Extensions?) then drag the .xpi file and drop it onto the
    >>>Extension Manager window. Or in Firefox use File > Open File...

    I tried all of the above.

    >>>Firefox needs to open the .xpi file to install the extension.

    But they never open or do anything.

    Gerry Atrick, Jan 26, 2007
  14. Gerry Atrick

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 10:09 pm, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:
> [...]

    > I get the .XPI file downloaded. But it does nothing. I tried every
    > possible method recommended to me in this thread. The drag and drop,
    > the Options/Extensions window, etc. When I am onhttps://addons.mozilla.organd click "install now", nothing happens
    > either. I give up..... I'm much too frustrated by now.....

    > >> NO, except those that were installed by clicking on them on a website
    > >> and they install themselves.

    > >That's what I referred to as "an 'auto' install" below.That dont work either. Besides flashblock, I tried something called

    > cookie (something). And tried another one (whatever that was).
    > Nothing will install.

    > >> I have tried all of these methods. Nothing happens at all.

    > >Did you try "1. an 'auto' install" above?
    > >Go to where the older versions of Flashblock are found

    OK, one last try. First, close the program. Then place the following
    script into your userContent.css file.

    The userContent.css file is a file that YOU create. Use any texted
    based editor such as NotePad. Copy and paste the script into the
    program, then save it as userContent.css, and save it to your chrome
    directory within your profile, and save it as a text only file. If you
    need more info then you can see this: http://www.floppymoose.com/

    and the script is:

    * Prevent flash animations from playing until you click on them. */
    object[classid$=":D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
    object[codebase*="swflash.cab"],
    object[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
    embed[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
    embed[src$=".swf"]
    { -moz-binding: url("http://www.floppymoose.com/clickToView.xml#ctv");
    }
    , Jan 26, 2007
  15. Gerry Atrick

    Gerry Atrick Guest

    On 25 Jan 2007 23:35:23 -0800,
    wrote:

> [...]

    >> ><http://downloads.mozdev.org/flashblock/> and click on one suitable
    >> >for Firefox 0.9.

    >OK, one last try. First, close the program. Then place the following
    >script into your userContent.css file.
    >
    >The userContent.css file is a file that YOU create. Use any texted
    >based editor such as NotePad. Copy and paste the script into the
    >program, then save it as userContent.css, and save it to your chrome
    >directory within your profile, and save it as a text only file. If you
    >need more info then you can see this: http://www.floppymoose.com/
    >
    >and the script is:
    >
    >* Prevent flash animations from playing until you click on them. */
    >object[classid$=":D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
    >object[codebase*="swflash.cab"],
    >object[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
    >embed[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],

    Thanks for the help. I will give this a try, but I looked that there
    is no such file. I can create one with a text editor, but where does
    it go? In the firefox dir or in one of the firefox/sub-dirs?
    I noticed there are some sample ones though.

    When I unzipped one of those .xpi files, it contained one.

    Do I put in ALL of what you typed above, or just the part above the {
    -moz-binding: url ........... etc........

    Thanks again
    Gerry Atrick, Jan 26, 2007
  16. Gerry Atrick

    Guest

    On Jan 26, 9:16 am, Gerry Atrick <> wrote:
    > On 25 Jan 2007 23:35:23 -0800,
    >

    > wrote:

    > >> to being a challenge, to complete aggravated frustration. Three days
    > >> of fighting with this is enough for me. Now I remember why I hated
    > >> Firefox before and deleted it. I sort of forgot how much it pissed me
    > >> off. I only went back to 0.9 to use on sites that look like a
    > >> security risk with IE. At least 0.9 was simple compared to the newer
    > >> versions. Simple till it comes to plugins. I guess when a person
    > >> gets to my old age this is just not for me. Setting up these plugins
    > >> in FF is almost worst than the time I tried Linux about 10 years ago.
    > >> I just cant stomach software that needs hours and days of tinkering,
    > >> and I can see setting up these plugins is just that way. I'll just
    > >> have to use IE most of the time, and live with the flash the few times
    > >> I do use FF. I think FF has possibilities, but until the authors make
    > >> installing these plugins easier, it will never become a browser for
    > >> just anyone. A computer whiz might be able to handle all this hassle,
    > >> but not an old fart like me, who hates fighting with a computer. I
    > >> just want to USE my browser, not fight with it and have to keep
    > >> fussing with controls and plugins.

    > >> I get the .XPI file downloaded. But it does nothing. I tried every
    > >> possible method recommended to me in this thread. The drag and drop,
    > >> the Options/Extensions window, etc. When I am onhttps://addons.mozilla.organdclick "install now", nothing happens
    > >> either. I give up..... I'm much too frustrated by now.....

    > >> cookie (something). And tried another one (whatever that was).
    > >> Nothing will install.

    > >OK, one last try. First, close the program. Then place the following
    > >script into your userContent.css file.

    > >The userContent.css file is a file that YOU create. Use any texted
    > >based editor such as NotePad. Copy and paste the script into the
    > >program, then save it as userContent.css, and save it to your chrome
    > >directory within your profile, and save it as a text only file. If you
    > >need more info then you can see this:http://www.floppymoose.com/

    > >and the script is:

    > >* Prevent flash animations from playing until you click on them. */
    > >object[classid$=":D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
    > >object[codebase*="swflash.cab"],
    > >object[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
    > >embed[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
    > >embed[src$=".swf"]
    > >{ -moz-binding: url("http://www.floppymoose.com/clickToView.xml#ctv");
    > >}Thanks for the help. I will give this a try, but I looked that there

    > is no such file.

    there is not such file because I told you that YOU must create it.

    > I can create one with a text editor, but where does
    > it go? In the firefox dir or in one of the firefox/sub-dirs?

    I already told you where to put it: in the Chrome directory of the
    profile.

    > I noticed there are some sample ones though.

    you can use those if you want. Just change the name to userContent.css

    > When I unzipped one of those .xpi files, it contained one.
    >
    > Do I put in ALL of what you typed above, or just the part above the {
    > -moz-binding: url ........... etc........

    The ENTIRE script

    > Thanks again

    I was thinking about the xpi file and why it won't install for you.
    Maybe we forgot to turn on xpi installing. So, in the address bar,
    type in about:config and look for this entry:

    xpinstall.enabled

    once found, double click on it and change it to true. Now try and
    install the xpi file.
    , Jan 26, 2007