    I am unable to install the latest version of Flash on my Windows Vista
    machine. I tried all the workarounds on the Flash site to no avail.
    Anyone else have this problem?

    ActivelyX, Jun 5, 2008

  2. ActivelyX

    Bogey Man Guest

    "ActivelyX" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am unable to install the latest version of Flash on my Windows Vista
    > machine. I tried all the workarounds on the Flash site to no avail.
    > Anyone else have this problem?

    If you are running the 64 bit version of IE7, there isn't yet a version of
    Flash to run on it.

    --
    Ron P

    If we are what we eat then: I'm fast,
    cheap and easy and past my best before date

    Bogey Man, Jun 5, 2008

  3. ActivelyX

    Carol Steele Guest

    As Ron said - but if you are trying to install it and using the 32-bit
    version of IE7, then sometimes a previous version of flash installed on the
    system prevents the new version of installing in which case you need the
    special Flash uninstaller which Adobe provides at:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1

    Once uninstalled, the new version should install properly.

    Carol Steele, Jun 6, 2008
  4. ActivelyX

    Syquest777 Guest

    I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and eve
    Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's ne
    computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, o
    download videos.

    One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to usin
    it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded was quit
    lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.

    The best and most elegant solution I discovered is to use Goggle Chrom
    as the browser for these websites, as Goggle Chrome is fast, streamline
    and still uses some of the high end functions of other browsers.

    Tell Gates to hang it on his beak, Google Chrome is the best 32 bi
    browser to enjoy the latest Flash player

    --
    Syquest77
    Syquest777's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165276.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    Syquest777, Dec 19, 2009
  5. ActivelyX

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:30:47 +0530, Syquest777
    <> wrote:

    >I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and even
    >Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's new
    >computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, or
    >download videos.
    >
    >One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to using
    >it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded was quite
    >lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.

    I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

    Scott, Dec 19, 2009
  6. Scott wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:30:47 +0530, Syquest777
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and even
    >> Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's new
    >> computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, or
    >> download videos.
    >>
    >> One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to
    >> using it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded
    >> was quite lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.
    >>

    > I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

    It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called from. The
    default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any links loaded
    subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other hand, if a hyperlink
    is called from an outside source, like my Thunderbird newsreader, the
    64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if I create an Internet Explorer
    object with a script, the 64 bit kernel is used. I don't know of any way
    to control which build is used except by directly opening the desired
    iexplore.exe program.
    --
    Crash

    "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
    ~ W. Edwards Deming ~

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 19, 2009
  7. What has happened is that somewhere down the road after your system was
    installed something was done to change the "default" browser. Upon
    installation of ALL 64-bit versions of Windows the DEFAULT browser is
    set to the 32-bit edition. Something had to happen to cause that
    default to be changed from 32-bit to 64-bit. It may have been an
    unintentional human action or response to a question; or it may have
    been something caused by another program.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 19, 2009
  8. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > What has happened is that somewhere down the road after your system
    > was installed something was done to change the "default" browser.
    > Upon installation of ALL 64-bit versions of Windows the DEFAULT
    > browser is set to the 32-bit edition. Something had to happen to
    > cause that default to be changed from 32-bit to 64-bit. It may have
    > been an unintentional human action or response to a question; or it
    > may have been something caused by another program.

    Well, I sure don't recall setting anything. The default browser is
    Internet Explorer, without specifying which one. Whichever one I open
    says it is the default browser. What happens when you
    open a HTML file from Explorer? I get the 64 bit version.
    --
    Crash

    Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is refusing treatment.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 19, 2009
  9. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > What has happened is that somewhere down the road after your system
    > was installed something was done to change the "default" browser.
    > Upon installation of ALL 64-bit versions of Windows the DEFAULT
    > browser is set to the 32-bit edition. Something had to happen to
    > cause that default to be changed from 32-bit to 64-bit. It may have
    > been an unintentional human action or response to a question; or it
    > may have been something caused by another program.

    According to the Internet Explorer x64 configuration window, the 64 bit
    version _can't_ be the default browser:
    http://crash.thedatalist.com/temp/DefaultBrowser.png

    When I open a HTML file by double clicking it in Explorer, the 64 bit IE
    opens it. What do you get?

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 19, 2009
  10. When I click on an HTML in Windows explorer it opens my 32-bit browser
    because that is the default.

    Although your web picture states the 64-bit cannot be the default there
    are settings in and out of the register that can set the 64-bit browser
    as the default, but I don't know off hand what those are. It's just
    that people has posted many times about this happening so it's not a
    singular phenomenon.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 19, 2009
  11. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > When I click on an HTML in Windows explorer it opens my 32-bit browser
    > because that is the default.
    >
    > Although your web picture states the 64-bit cannot be the default there
    > are settings in and out of the register that can set the 64-bit browser
    > as the default, but I don't know off hand what those are. It's just
    > that people has posted many times about this happening so it's not a
    > singular phenomenon.

    Well, I'd sure like to know what it is. I didn't set anything during
    installation.

    --
    Crash

    Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 20, 2009
  12. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > When I click on an HTML in Windows explorer it opens my 32-bit
    > browser because that is the default.
    >
    > Although your web picture states the 64-bit cannot be the default
    > there are settings in and out of the register that can set the 64-bit
    > browser as the default, but I don't know off hand what those are.
    > It's just that people has posted many times about this happening so
    > it's not a singular phenomenon.

    I forced a reset of the default browser by temporarily making Firefox my
    default, then setting IE as my default, again. Now when I open HTML
    files in Explorer, it uses the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer. The
    32 bit IE is also used when I click on the link for the image I posted.
    I think I fixed whatever it was, but when I create an Internet Explorer
    object in a script (Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")),
    it is still the 64 bit version. That makes sense, I guess, since I am
    hosting the script with a 64 bit platform.

    --
    Crash

    English is not my native tongue; I'm an American.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 20, 2009
  13. ActivelyX

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Syquest777.

    > One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser,

    No need. If you have Win7 x64, then you already have BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit
    versions of IE8. As the others have said, the 32-bit version runs by
    default, and you can force the choice by browsing to the one you want. And,
    of course, you can create a shortcut or a desktop icon, or pin to your Start
    menu or your Taskbar - or any of the other ways to start a program in Win7.

    You should find the two versions of IE8 here:
    32-bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    64-bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    Clicking Help | About Internet Explorer will tell you "64-bit Edition" if it
    is; the 32-bit edition doesn't mention bitness.

    When I find myself getting a "requires Flash" message, I know I'm in the
    64-bit IE8. So, I Copy the URL from the Address Bar, then press Start and
    select IE(32-bit) from my Start Menu, and Paste that address into it - and
    watch the video. Yes, it IS an extra step or two, but usually takes less
    than 10 seconds.

    I DO wish Adobe would wake up and notice that this is now the 21st Century!
    :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    P.S.: I miss SyQuest! I used their products for about 15 years and loved
    my SyQuest SyJet - until it died. I'm not sure if the drive corrupted the
    cartridges, or vice versa, but I can't get to all my old archives on those
    cartridges. :>(

    R. C. White, Dec 20, 2009
  14. ActivelyX

    Tom Guest

    "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    > Scott wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:30:47 +0530, Syquest777
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and even
    >>> Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's new
    >>> computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, or
    >>> download videos.
    >>>
    >>> One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to
    >>> using it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded
    >>> was quite lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.
    >>>

    >> I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

    > It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called from. The
    > default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any links loaded
    > subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other hand, if a hyperlink
    > is called from an outside source, like my Thunderbird newsreader, the
    > 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if I create an Internet Explorer
    > object with a script, the 64 bit kernel is used. I don't know of any way
    > to control which build is used except by directly opening the desired
    > iexplore.exe program.
    > --
    > Crash
    >
    > "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
    > ~ W. Edwards Deming ~

    IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
    version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the "Change Desktop
    Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In any event, the 32bit
    version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder and the 64bit in the
    Programs Folder.

    Tom, Dec 21, 2009
  15. Tom wrote:

    > "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    >> Scott wrote:

    >>> I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

    >> It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called
    >> from. The default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any
    >> links loaded subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other
    >> hand, if a hyperlink is called from an outside source, like my
    >> Thunderbird newsreader, the 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if
    >> I create an Internet Explorer object with a script, the 64 bit
    >> kernel is used. I don't know of any way to control which build is
    >> used except by directly opening the desired iexplore.exe program.

    > IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous
    > Windows version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
    > "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
    > any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
    > and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

    No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
    however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
    sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
    during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

    --
    Crash

    "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
    ~ Yogi Berra ~

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 22, 2009
  16. ActivelyX

    > Tom wrote:
    >>

    >> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called
    >>> from. The default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any
    >>> links loaded subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other
    >>> hand, if a hyperlink is called from an outside source, like my
    >>> Thunderbird newsreader, the 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if
    >>> I create an Internet Explorer object with a script, the 64 bit
    >>> kernel is used. I don't know of any way to control which build is
    >>> used except by directly opening the desired iexplore.exe program.

    >> IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
    >> version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
    >> "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
    >> any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
    >> and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

    > No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
    > however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
    > sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
    > during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
    >
    > --
    > Crash
    >
    > "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
    > ~ Yogi Berra ~

    I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
    desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
    created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you previous
    post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
    much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
    though.

    Tom, Dec 22, 2009
  17. ActivelyX

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:26:57 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>>

    >>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message

    >>> IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
    >>> version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
    >>> "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
    >>> any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
    >>> and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

    >> No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
    >> however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
    >> sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
    >> during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Crash
    >>
    >> "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
    >> ~ Yogi Berra ~

    >I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
    >desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
    >created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you previous
    >post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
    >much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
    >though.

    Start - All Programs - Right click Internet Explorer - Send to -
    Desktop (create shortcut)

    Scott, Dec 22, 2009
  18. ActivelyX

    Tom Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:26:57 -0500, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
    >>> however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
    >>> sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
    >>> during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Crash
    >>>
    >>> "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
    >>> ~ Yogi Berra ~

    >>I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
    >>desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
    >>created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you
    >>previous
    >>post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
    >>much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
    >>though.

    > Start - All Programs - Right click Internet Explorer - Send to -
    > Desktop (create shortcut)

    Appreciate that, but I already knew that and that is what I've done. I just
    like the IE version there because you can click on it properties there and
    make changes to the Internet Options, you can't do that with a shortcut. We
    use Firefox anyway, it smokes IE.

    Tom, Dec 24, 2009