    As Mr Gershwin said, things are looking up :)

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Lodi

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    news:48f6af20$...
    >> Lodi wrote in message news:gd66e9$lvf$...

    > Sometime in the far distant future when they're up to Windows and IE 2008
    > standards.....

    Oh come on. IE has been the worst browser on the market for quite some time
    now. Even IE 8, which is a huge improvement over 7, which was a huge
    improvement over 6, is grossly inferior to the newest versions Firefox,
    Opera, Safari... even Chrome, which like IE 8 is still in beta.
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 16, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sometime in the far distant future when they're up to Windows and IE
    >>> 2008 standards.....

    >> Oh come on. IE has been the worst browser on the market for quite some
    >> time now. Even IE 8, which is a huge improvement over 7, which was a
    >> huge improvement over 6, is grossly inferior to the newest versions
    >> Firefox, Opera, Safari... even Chrome, which like IE 8 is still in beta.

    > It maybe slow, break standards, consume crazy amounts of memory and lack
    > many features, but IE does work as most sites are geared towards it and so
    > are 3rd party addons.

    You forgot to add that it makes web development about 10 times more complex
    than it needs to be.

    It used to be that I'd spend half the time building a site so that it worked
    perfectly in practically every single browser under the sun -- except IE
    6 -- and the other half of the time fixing it for IE 6's quirks. IE 7 was a
    lot better but still retained some of the layout issues. IE 8 is *very*
    good in that regard, with most new sites working "out of the box", but
    unfortunately the majority of users are even now still using IE 6
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 16, 2008
  4. In message <48f6b63b$>, Puddle wrote:

    > It maybe slow, break standards, consume crazy amounts of memory and lack
    > many features, but IE does work as most sites are geared towards it and
    > so are 3rd party addons.

    Unfortunately that's only true of IE6. Move to any later version of Internet
    Explorer, and proprietariness is no longer the safe cocoon against the
    competition you thought it was.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:03:54 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Lodi wrote in message news:gd66e9$lvf$... Hi all....Using
    >> Kubuntu 8.04.1 and Opera 9.60 After all the previous trials and
    >> tribulations involved in getting a semi- usable Flash Player v7 and v9
    >> working with Opera it's amazing to actually get an install *.deb from
    >> Adobe for Flash Player 10 and, even more amazing, for it to install
    >> without any problems. A quick and successful post-install verification
    >> at adobe.com and hopefully that's the last time I'll have to do
    >> anything with the Flash Player until the next upgrade.
    >> As Mr Gershwin said, things are looking up :)

    > WOW!!!!
    > That's absolutely amazing!!! Incredible!!! Fantastic!!!!
    >
    > If things keep going on like this with *nix and niche market web
    > browsers, I might have to consider trying them...
    >
    > Sometime in the far distant future when they're up to Windows and IE
    > 2008 standards.....
    >
    > Mean time I'll just have to carry on with MS, XP, Vista and IE where
    > these amazing miraculous announcements dont have to be made because add
    > on's like flash *ALWAYS* work out of the box....
    >
    > I thought *nix and niche web browsers were supposed to be far better
    > that anything/everything MS offers????
    >
    > Have the *nix 'advocates' in this news group been telling porkies
    > again?????
    >
    > Flash 10 works out of the box on *nix and Opera!!!!
    >
    > AMAZING!!!!
    >
    > ROTFLOL.

    Glad to bring a smile to your day. Sort of expected that reply from the
    MS'ers but you're missing the point. A company which has had minimal time
    for Linux and which was one of the main MS loyalists has done an about
    face and is now catering to its Linux user base.

    Possibly MS screwing over Adobe with Silverlight has something to do with
    it but that's to be expected in the closed source community in which you
    live.

    FWIW, I used to use Gnash (the open source alternative to Flash) cos
    adobe support was so poor. But I'm happy to give adobe flash 10 a chance
    now they're listening to the Linux users.

    > It just WORKS. The MS Users norm.

    Thanks for making me laugh out loud. I'm going to send that one to the
    Tui billboard people.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 16, 2008
  6. In message <48f6af20$>, Max Burke wrote:

    > That's absolutely amazing!!! Incredible!!! Fantastic!!!!

    Here's something else to get excited about: Now that essentially ALL
    x86-compatible CPUs being shipped are 64-bit, there is STILL no 64-bit
    Flash Player from Adobe.

    One of many, many reasons why users of 64-bit Dimdows need to run dual
    versions of Internet Explorer and so many other applications.

    Doesn't that just make you positively tearful with glee?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2008
  7. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....Using Kubuntu 8.04.1 and Opera 9.60

    It's a pity Opera doesn't work out of the box on my Linux system.
    Thought there does now seem to be a beta version.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Oct 16, 2008
  8. In message <48f7007b$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > It's a pity Opera doesn't work out of the box on my Linux system.

    Perhaps that's God telling you to stay away from non-Free software?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2008
  9. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <48f7007b$>, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> It's a pity Opera doesn't work out of the box on my Linux system.

    > Perhaps that's God telling you to stay away from non-Free software?

    I just installed it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --