Flaky hardware--but what?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Toby, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Toby

    Toby Guest

    Hi folks,

    My computer has been acting up lately, and I can't for the life of me figure
    out where the problem is. Perhaps someone here with more experience can
    help.

    Basically what happens is that at some point I start to hear a
    clicking--sounds like a solenoid or a relay.
    click..(pause)...click....click-a-click-a-click-a-click-a....This goes on
    intermittently. Usually the screen freezes after the first few clicks,
    sometimes recovers, but more often I get a BSOD stop screen. I have both
    side covers off and I am having a hell of a time locating the source. I
    thought at first it was a HDD, but they all seem OK. This seems to be the
    same relay that clicks on once when the power is turned on and clicks off
    when powering down. I've tried disconnecting all the HDDs and I still hear
    the initial and final click. Perhaps it could be the FDD or one of the disk
    drives, but it seems to be coming from the mobo. I put that thing in and I
    know basically what's on it but I can't locate anything that might be the
    cause.

    Has anybody had a similar experience? Is there a relay on the mobo
    somewhere? Any ideas?

    TIA,

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Toby

    bmoag Guest

    Before you do anything else backup onto CDs or DVDS all your data files.
    It is very likely you are hearing the hard drive click of death no matter
    what you think the problem is.
    If the click is coming from the hard drive, and frequent random freezes are
    a significant symptom of that, at some point the hard drive will suddenly
    become totally inaccessible.
    You have been warned . . .

    bmoag, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Toby

    Toby Guest

    I'm ghosting it now. Thanks.

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Toby

    Toby Guest

    I've ghosted both volumes on the drive onto a new HDD. So far so good. I
    appreciate the timely warning.

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 16, 2005