Flaky broadband on Slingshot

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    I am on the 256K plan and get the following:

    Download Speed: 291 kbps (36.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

    But I have been finding many pages taking ages to load, including when
    trying to log in to my Slingshot page, which took ages. But I could
    download a pdf at 35K. Getting headers in the newsgroups is also
    weird. Most of the subscribed groups come through OK but for some
    reason the nz.general has been taking ages, many minutes.

    Recently I emailed Slingshot about abyssmal international speeds and
    got their usual reply with links to troubleshoot it yourself. I
    replied that the problem wasn't covered in these links. They sent me
    another email without suggesting anything new, and including the same
    useless links again.

    Generally, on Sunday, I have been getting speeds I remember from when
    I had 33.6K dial-up. I am nowhere near my data limit so I shouldn't
    be getting throttled. Off course Slingshot say there are no known
    issues.

    Nighthawk, Feb 17, 2008

  2. Nighthawk

    sam Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > I am on the 256K plan and get the following:
    >
    > Download Speed: 291 kbps (36.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > But I have been finding many pages taking ages to load, including when
    > trying to log in to my Slingshot page, which took ages. But I could
    > download a pdf at 35K. Getting headers in the newsgroups is also
    > weird. Most of the subscribed groups come through OK but for some
    > reason the nz.general has been taking ages, many minutes.
    >
    > Recently I emailed Slingshot about abyssmal international speeds and
    > got their usual reply with links to troubleshoot it yourself. I
    > replied that the problem wasn't covered in these links. They sent me
    > another email without suggesting anything new, and including the same
    > useless links again.
    >
    > Generally, on Sunday, I have been getting speeds I remember from when
    > I had 33.6K dial-up. I am nowhere near my data limit so I shouldn't
    > be getting throttled. Off course Slingshot say there are no known
    > issues.

    Its not just Slingshot
    At the moment on Paradise I can't get to major sites like Amazon.com or
    zdnet.com or apple.com.
    teh intarweb fail

    sam, Feb 17, 2008

  3. Nighthawk

    David Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:28:16 +1300, Nighthawk <>
    wrote:

    same with infogen i rang infogen they told me they are
    taking away the high speed no longer go as fast as the lines go
    have to pay more to get it bugger.

    David

    David, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Nighthawk

    joe_90 Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > I am on the 256K plan

    Same Slingshot plan here.

    Every evening for the last week or so I've found everything slow.

    Can't get more that about 5KB/s on downloads.

    As you say, feels like dialup.

    joe_90, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    wrote:

    >I am on the 256K plan and get the following:
    >
    >Download Speed: 291 kbps (36.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    >But I have been finding many pages taking ages to load, including when
    >trying to log in to my Slingshot page, which took ages. But I could
    >download a pdf at 35K. Getting headers in the newsgroups is also
    >weird. Most of the subscribed groups come through OK but for some
    >reason the nz.general has been taking ages, many minutes.
    >
    >Recently I emailed Slingshot about abyssmal international speeds and
    >got their usual reply with links to troubleshoot it yourself. I
    >replied that the problem wasn't covered in these links. They sent me
    >another email without suggesting anything new, and including the same
    >useless links again.
    >
    >Generally, on Sunday, I have been getting speeds I remember from when
    >I had 33.6K dial-up. I am nowhere near my data limit so I shouldn't
    >be getting throttled. Off course Slingshot say there are no known
    >issues.

    On Monday and Tuesday it seemed to come right with good speeds but
    Wednesday night, flakey.

    I can't get nz.general headers. Can't download a driver from Apacer.
    Pages very slow to load, taking ages to get into my page on Slingshot
    site. But email seems OK and antivirus update was full speed.

    What is wrong with broadband lately?

    Nighthawk, Feb 20, 2008
  6. In article <>, Nighthawk did
    write:

    > I can't get nz.general headers. Can't download a driver from Apacer.
    > Pages very slow to load, taking ages to get into my page on Slingshot
    > site. But email seems OK and antivirus update was full speed.
    >
    > What is wrong with broadband lately?

    Trouble with your machine?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2008
  7. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:12:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Nighthawk did
    >write:
    >
    >> I can't get nz.general headers. Can't download a driver from Apacer.
    >> Pages very slow to load, taking ages to get into my page on Slingshot
    >> site. But email seems OK and antivirus update was full speed.
    >>
    >> What is wrong with broadband lately?

    >Trouble with your machine?

    I'll restore what you clipped: "On Monday and Tuesday it seemed to
    come right with good speeds but Wednesday night, flakey."

    How could it be a problem with my machine when it comes and goes?
    Others have confirmed the same experience. A friend has confirmed he
    has been getting the same, in an email.

    Nighthawk, Feb 20, 2008
  8. In article <>, Nighthawk did
    write:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:12:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Nighthawk did
    >>write:
    >>
    >>> I can't get nz.general headers. Can't download a driver from Apacer.
    >>> Pages very slow to load, taking ages to get into my page on Slingshot
    >>> site. But email seems OK and antivirus update was full speed.
    >>>
    >>> What is wrong with broadband lately?

    >>Trouble with your machine?

    > How could it be a problem with my machine when it comes and goes?

    Because Dimdows is like that?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 21, 2008