    It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
    tells me to insert a boot disk.
    I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.
    John Montgomery, Oct 22, 2003

  2. John Montgomery

    Night_Seer Guest

    John Montgomery wrote:
    > I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales
    > and either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
    >
    > I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
    > floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards
    > etc. It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the
    > bios tells me to insert a boot disk.
    > I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

    could just be either a bad floppy drive or a bad FD motherboard connector.
    Also its easy to put the floppy connector on the drive in the wrong way,
    especially on older ones...check that too.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 22, 2003

  3. John Montgomery

    Thor Guest

    Did you check the BIOS setup and make sure the computer is set to the
    correct type of floppy drive? Old ones used to have 1.2MB drives as the
    default type. If this is the case, and the motherboard battery was dead,
    then the defaults might be loaded. Also consider that old machines often
    have dirty floppy drives.

    Thor, Oct 22, 2003
  4. I have swapped arround floppy drives. And I do sometimes get the cables
    backwards. The floppy light will stay on in this case
    And I do check the BIOS setup. I was wondering if the motherboard battery
    could be the problem, but I thought if I did not power down after setting up
    the BIOS I would be OK

    John

    John Montgomery, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Stupid question-did you check the boot sequence in the BIOS? If it has one.

    If you've swapped drives for one that you know works then it's not
    likely the drive. Same with the disk & cables. That leaves the BIOS
    settings, mobo, & controller. You mentioned swapping IDE cards-does that
    include the floppy controller? (How old *are* these, anyway?) If the
    floppy controller is built into the mobo have you tried using a separate
    one?

    Calvin Crumrine, Oct 22, 2003
  6. John Montgomery

    Plato Guest

    John Montgomery wrote:

    > I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
    > either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
    >
    > I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
    > floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.

    Chances are it's just a dirty drive. Once you've put your bootdisk in,
    you've ruined it so it wont work on any other pc as well.

    I have the same hobby as you. I toss lots of disks in the trash. I also
    use floppy drive cleaning kits very often.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 23, 2003
  7. John Montgomery

    Robert Baer Guest

    John Montgomery wrote:

    > I recently started a hobby of picking up old computers at yard sales and
    > either fixing them up or scabbing them for parts.
    >
    > I have had the same problem with three computers now. I cannot get the
    > floppy disc drive to work. Replaced power supplies cables IDE cards etc.
    > It will boot up and the floppy disc may or may not turn, but the bios
    > tells me to insert a boot disk.
    > I use a MS-DOS formatted disc which will boot up another computer.

    If the computer is old enough (but still a PC), the only drives it
    could support would be low density 360K (5.25") at best.
    Always use a "Golden" write-protected floppy and a good "new" drive
    for checking; be careful of cable polarity, and have no IDE devices or
    daughter boards (other than the simplist video possible) connected.
    Faulty IDE devices can play the wierdest "games" with computer
    operation!
    That includes known good floppy systems acting as if they are almost
    non-existant...
    Robert Baer, Oct 23, 2003
  8. John Montgomery

    Frederick Guest

    Hello there John, Fixing the older computer are really fun, Huh?

    FRED

    Frederick, Oct 25, 2003