Fixing a network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by rengaw03@hotmail.com, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm currently switching a small network to a sane configuration.

    The current IP allocation is a mess: DHCP clients are being allocated
    addresses from a set of public IP addresses which we shouldn't be
    using, while servers have static IP addresses from the five we're
    supposed to be using. All access to and from the internet is via a
    consumer-grade NAT box, the "outside" IP address of which is on the
    same subnet as the "inside" addresses.

    The new configuration will be using addresses in the 192.168.17.*
    range, with servers continuing to have static IP addresses, and only
    being available from the outside world via NAT.

    There are three servers on this network. One of them, the file/web
    server, is running MacOS X Server 10.2, so it's stuck with its current
    address for all of eternity.

    As part of the changeover, I've got a Cisco 877 DSL router to replace a
    consumer NAT box and DSL modem. I could use the NAT box to let the Mac
    server keep its current IP address while looking like it's got an
    address in the new range, but during a trial run, Windows file sharing
    clients couldn't connect to it. Is there a better way of doing this,
    or do I need to split the network into a "Mac" network connected to the
    Cisco box and a "Windows" network connected to the old NAT box?

    Also, under the current system, computers on the network are unable to
    access the company web server by name -- the name resolves to the
    public IP address, and something goes wrong with the connection --
    maybe the NAT box isn't translating to the internal IP address? Will
    this continue to be a problem with the Cisco box?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    , Jan 20, 2006