    Is there anything that the site authors could do to
    return an image size according to what the browser is
    telling them about client resolution?

    Newbie4Ever, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Newbie4Ever

    Moz Champion Guest

    Newbie4Ever wrote:
    > Many sites lately use clickable images which seem to be of
    > a fixed size, almost always much too small for 1600x1200.
    > The result is an unreadable page.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do in settings to fix this?
    >
    > Is there anything that the site authors could do to
    > return an image size according to what the browser is
    > telling them about client resolution?

    Use a different resolution? 800 x 600 perhaps?

    Browsers dont pass on resolution to sites, resolution isnt set in
    browsers, its a system setting anyway.

    Many sites use 800x600 as the 'target' resolution, others use larger or
    smaller, it all depends upon the whims of the author and how savvy they are.
    If authors make a page viewable for 1600x1200 resolution, then it would
    be murder on those with less resolution

    Moz Champion, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Newbie4Ever

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:12:51 GMT, in message
     <nrLZe.275150$tt5.10623@edtnps90>, Newbie4Ever wrote:

    > Many sites lately use clickable images which seem to be of
    > a fixed size, almost always much too small for 1600x1200.
    > The result is an unreadable page.

    IMO such images should ideally be proportional to the font size,
    not necessarily the screen size.

    A. Some people run 1600x1200 with fonts still 10-pixels high
    to fit more text on the screen. For these people the images
    should not be expanded.

    B. Others find 10-pixel high fonts too small on 1600x1200 and make
    the fonts larger; for these people the images should ideally
    also be larger.

    > Is there anything I can do in settings to fix this?

    The K-Meleon browser (which also uses the Gecko engine)
    has a "zoom images" command
    • Zoom In Images: Alt++ or View -> Zoom -> Zoom In Images
    • Zoom Out Images: Alt+- or View -> Zoom -> Zoom Out Images

    > Is there anything that the site authors could do to
    > return an image size according to what the browser is
    > telling them about client resolution?

    1. Use CSS to specify the image size in ems or points,
    so the image size is proportional to the font size.

    The site author may need to experiment with this to
    get something that looks good at all point/pixel ratios.

    2. Or use CSS to specify the image size as a percentage
    of the containing box. The containing box should ideally
    be a percentage of its containing box, all the way up to
    the screen size.

    This is not the best solution. This can make the page
    unreadable on small screens, and it can also make the
    page a mess for people in case 'A' above.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Sep 26, 2005