    busy with my new boat, no time to research xp bugs...

    cheers
    John
    John, Oct 11, 2003

  2. John

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:09:34 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >hi
    >does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    >download them?
    >
    >busy with my new boat, no time to research xp bugs...
    >
    >cheers
    >John

    Do we get a ride in the boat for helping :)
    Bret, Oct 11, 2003

  3. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:09:34 +1300, John wrote:

    > does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    > download them?

    Switch off http 1.1 or explicitly set your proxy.

    Usually it happens when there's a transparent proxy in the way - http 1.1
    doesn't go through proxies very well.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 11, 2003
  4. John

    Big Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:11:40 +0200, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:09:34 +1300, John wrote:
    >
    >> does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    >> download them?

    >Switch off http 1.1 or explicitly set your proxy.
    >
    >Usually it happens when there's a transparent proxy in the way - http 1.1
    >doesn't go through proxies very well.

    and http 1.1 is required to resume a cut off dnload.

    Seems like you know F all, like all your posts..
    Big , Oct 12, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:39:15 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:09:34 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >

    >Do we get a ride in the boat for helping :)

    She has a V8 Chev short block, a bit of work on the engine, then yerr,
    no prob...
    John, Oct 12, 2003
  6. John

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  7. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:07:03 +1300, Big scribbled:

    >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:11:40 +0200, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:09:34 +1300, John wrote:
    >>
    >>> does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    >>> download them?

    >>Switch off http 1.1 or explicitly set your proxy.
    >>
    >>Usually it happens when there's a transparent proxy in the way - http 1.1
    >>doesn't go through proxies very well.
    >>

    >and http 1.1 is required to resume a cut off dnload.
    >

    >Seems like you know F all, like all your posts..

    I'm sure Alan knows alot more than you.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Oct 12, 2003
  8. John

    Joy Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > hi
    > does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    > download them?
    >
    > busy with my new boat, no time to research xp bugs...

    I'd be careful if I were you. Go and get them for yourself . We installed
    xp yesterday on a pc and even going immediately to microsofts site to
    download the updates got us infected and the system repeatedly shut down.
    We got them on the Win98 pc and transfered them which fixed that problem
    and the next task of installing antivirus found that w32.welchia worm was
    present.
    You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.
    Joy
    Joy, Oct 12, 2003
  9. John

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f88f720$...

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > hi
    > > does anyone know the fix for XP when it notifies updates but failed to
    > > download them?
    > >
    > > busy with my new boat, no time to research xp bugs...

    > I'd be careful if I were you. Go and get them for yourself . We

    installed
    > xp yesterday on a pc and even going immediately to microsofts site to
    > download the updates got us infected and the system repeatedly shut down.
    > We got them on the Win98 pc and transfered them which fixed that problem
    > and the next task of installing antivirus found that w32.welchia worm was
    > present.
    > You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.
    > Joy

    Did you think to install a firewall first before going online, even, spit,
    the one that comes with XP?. If you deny access to port 135 there's
    generally no problem.
    Andy Lawson, Oct 12, 2003
  10. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:07:03 +1300, wrote:

    Grow up Woger, you senile old goat fucker

    >>Switch off http 1.1 or explicitly set your proxy.
    >>
    >>Usually it happens when there's a transparent proxy in the way - http 1.1
    >>doesn't go through proxies very well.

    > and http 1.1 is required to resume a cut off dnload.

    Proxies usually contiue the get if the client goes away, up to about 10Mb.

    As windowsupadte downloads are in 1.2Mb segments (due to complaints about
    cutoffs on lng downloads), this isn't an issue.

    > Seems like you know F all, like all your posts..

    I work on proxies and Windoze boxes regularly, unlike you.

    Now stop morphing to get out of killfiles.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 12, 2003
  11. John

    Fishb8 Guest

    Exactly - Install your firewall first, then AV updates and only after that
    do your Windows updates. I learned this very recently. Got Blaster first but
    didn't realise it. Did another re-install and same again. Managed to hang on
    to a connection long enough to do a Google on the error messages and
    realised I'd been Blasted. Then got a "fix" which turned out to be another
    Trojan. Got it right on the next install.

    Fishb8, Oct 12, 2003
  12. John

    Steven H Guest

    In article <3f88f720$>, says...

    > You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.

    why didnt you download the patch for that before hand?

    or at least on another computer

    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003
  13. "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3f88f720$>, says...
    >
    > > You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.

    > why didnt you download the patch for that before hand?
    >
    > or at least on another computer

    and at least put the firewall on before going online
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 14, 2003
  14. John

    Steven H Guest

    In article <UYJib.177842$>, nathan@4757979!!!
    SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...

    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <3f88f720$>, says...
    > >
    > > > You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.

    > > why didnt you download the patch for that before hand?
    > >
    > > or at least on another computer

    > and at least put the firewall on before going online

    a better question is to find out why in hell doesnt microsoft block the
    fucking port by default!

    it is only fucking required on a LAN, definately not a WAN - should be
    blocked by default for gods sake.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003
  15. John

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Steven H" wrote
    > a better question is to find out why in hell doesnt microsoft block the
    > fucking port by default!

    It is... the firewall is turned on, unless you tell it not to be. this
    happens when you make the first connection.

    > it is only fucking required on a LAN, definately not a WAN - should be
    > blocked by default for gods sake.

    why? it can be handy on a WAN.
    T.N.O., Oct 14, 2003
  16. John

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "Steven H" wrote
    > > a better question is to find out why in hell doesnt microsoft block the
    > > fucking port by default!

    > It is... the firewall is turned on, unless you tell it not to be. this
    > happens when you make the first connection.

    ok i will remove the bullet from my foot

    > > it is only fucking required on a LAN, definately not a WAN - should be
    > > blocked by default for gods sake.

    > why? it can be handy on a WAN.

    i was refering to a home user situation where a WAN is the internet, yes
    it can be handy but only in specific situations that your "normal
    knuckle dragger user" wont always run into.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003
  17. John

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Steven H" wrote
    > > It is... the firewall is turned on, unless you tell it not to be. this
    > > happens when you make the first connection.

    > ok i will remove the bullet from my foot

    heh, fair enough :)

    > > why? it can be handy on a WAN.

    > i was refering to a home user situation where a WAN is the internet, yes
    > it can be handy but only in specific situations that your "normal
    > knuckle dragger user" wont always run into.

    True.
    T.N.O., Oct 14, 2003
  18. John

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <UYJib.177842$>, nathan@4757979!!!
    SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...

    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <3f88f720$>, says...
    > >
    > > > You obviously can't be quick enough to get these fixes.

    > > why didnt you download the patch for that before hand?
    > >
    > > or at least on another computer

    > and at least put the firewall on before going online

    I'm damn sure I remember you saying it was enabled by default.

    ???

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 15, 2003
  19. John

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T-Boy" wrote
    > > and at least put the firewall on before going online

    > I'm damn sure I remember you saying it was enabled by default.

    it is, well, it asks you whether you would like it on(default) or not... you
    get to choose.
    T.N.O., Oct 15, 2003
  20. John

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bmichq$n9262$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "T-Boy" wrote
    > > > and at least put the firewall on before going online

    > > I'm damn sure I remember you saying it was enabled by default.

    > it is, well, it asks you whether you would like it on(default) or not... you
    > get to choose.

    Well we wonder then, how Joy got infected. Presumably she said "no" to
    the prompt, or manaully turned it off.

    ???

    --
    Duncan