Fix for Nikon 3100 short battery life

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ross Anderson, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. I was getting very short times on my batteries until the
    Nikon Coolpix 3100 indicated "Battery Exhausted" on what
    seemed to be near fully charged batteries.

    I was told by the vendor that some of these cameras have
    a roughly cast negative battery contact. The round circle
    of a contact was lightly filed with a ladies sandpaper like
    nail file. This helped a bit.

    The big discovery was that the circle was designed to idiot
    proof the insertion of an AA battery. The positive
    tip of the battery would go within the circle and make no
    contact. For some reason Nikon puts a plastic disc in the
    center, I suppose as an insulator. The problem was that
    plastic disc keeps a properly installed battery's negative flat
    surface from making good contact with the circle.

    I think that the supposedly flat battery negative side is
    not perfectly flat. I think that the battery perhaps starts
    out at the factory as being slighltly convex and heat pushes
    against the end causing it to slightly even more convex.

    I used the nailfile to bring down the plastic disc about a
    millimeter and now the battery makes good contact and now
    has good battery life on the Coolpix 3100.

    Regards,
    Ross Anderson
    Ross Anderson, Oct 2, 2003