    Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time on
    trying to do so?

    Dave
    Dave, Feb 21, 2007

  2. In news:%d3Dh.4365$,
    Dave <daveNOSPAMnNOSPAMmanvel@HoT_NO_SPAMmail.com> typed:
    > We had a power outage today when I came home and my old Pent ][
    > 450MHz w/ 128MB Ram running Windose 2000 was dead.
    > I have a hard drive ticking and the monitor saying "OS not Found" on
    > restart. (I know the drive is toast)
    >
    > Is there anyway to get it back up? Or, have I lost everything on that
    > drive? I'd like to save the data since I was running a Web server and
    > a MySQL server off of it.
    >
    > for example: could I use Norton to clone the drive? and then FDISK
    > /MBR on an NTFS drive?
    > Or, can I use a Win98 Boot disk and do FDISK /MBR on a NTFS drive?

    How would you do that if the drive is toast?

    > Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time
    > on trying to do so?

    Check whether the drive is toast. The drive manufacturer's drive checker
    might tell you.

    If it can be brought to life, clone it. If it can't, use your back-up copy
    (the copy you kept aside in case the drive died so that it wouldn't be a
    complete disaster).
    Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Dave wrote:

    > We had a power outage today when I came home and my old Pent ][ 450MHz w/
    > 128MB Ram running Windose 2000 was dead.
    > I have a hard drive ticking and the monitor saying "OS not Found" on
    > restart. (I know the drive is toast)
    >
    > Is there anyway to get it back up? Or, have I lost everything on that
    > drive? I'd like to save the data since I was running a Web server and a
    > MySQL server off of it.
    >
    > for example: could I use Norton to clone the drive? and then FDISK /MBR on
    > an NTFS drive?
    > Or, can I use a Win98 Boot disk and do FDISK /MBR on a NTFS drive?
    >
    > Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time on
    > trying to do so?

    You may try to
    - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest
    - jumper it as slave or put it on a 2nd ide channel
    - see if the bios can detect your drive. Turn off DMA.
    - fire up ghost from a bootdisk/floppy with the switch for bad-sectors (/?
    helps) and copy/image the drive over to another good one on that other
    computer or your old one.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    | You may try to
    | - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest
    | - jumper it as slave or put it on a 2nd ide channel
    | - see if the bios can detect your drive. Turn off DMA.
    | - fire up ghost from a bootdisk/floppy with the switch for bad-sectors (/?
    | helps) and copy/image the drive over to another good one on that other
    | computer or your old one.

    Yes, BIOS detects the drive.... it just "Tick-Tick-Tick" from I guess the
    bad sector it received when the Power went out....
    (Guess it's time to get the cable to connect to the UPS to tell the PC to
    shut sown properly. I have about 10 min battery power on it.)

    Kewl!

    Thanks Walter.... Thats what I thought... I had to ask before I dove in
    and really messed up that drive...
    Dave, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "| The drive manufacturer's drive checker
    | might tell you.

    Its a 10 GIG drive... Seagate doesn't support 10 GIG anymore
    Dave, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Dave

    elaich Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    > You may try to
    > - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

    As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours, then put
    it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can off it as fast
    as possible.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Feb 22, 2007
  8. In news:,
    elaich <> typed:
    > Walter Mautner <> wrote in
    >
    >> You may try to
    >> - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

    > As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours,
    > then put it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can
    > off it as fast as possible.

    Put it in a plastic bag first.
    Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Dave

    elaich Guest

    "Oksana Gutteridge" <> wrote in news:erjcd4$a3r$1
    @news.albasani.net:

    > Put it in a plastic bag first.

    Yes, of course. I forgot that part. Thanks.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Dave

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
    > In news:,
    > elaich <> typed:
    >> Walter Mautner <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> You may try to
    >>> - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

    >> As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours,
    >> then put it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can
    >> off it as fast as possible.

    > Put it in a plastic bag first.

    What? Worry about condensation? <g>
    WhzzKdd, Feb 23, 2007
  11. In news:UsqDh.3705$,
    WhzzKdd <> typed:
    > Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> elaich <> typed:
    >>> Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    >>> As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours,
    >>> then put it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can
    >>> off it as fast as possible.

    >> Put it in a plastic bag first.

    > What? Worry about condensation? <g>

    No, that's a very useful lubricant for the HD. The real concern is the bits
    of frozen food that defrosts in the PC.
    Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 23, 2007
  12. Dave

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
    > In news:UsqDh.3705$,
    > WhzzKdd <> typed:
    >> Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
    >>> In news:,
    >>> elaich <> typed:

    >>> Put it in a plastic bag first.

    >> What? Worry about condensation? <g>

    > No, that's a very useful lubricant for the HD. The real concern is
    > the bits of frozen food that defrosts in the PC.

    <G>! Okay - I forgot about that :)
    WhzzKdd, Feb 23, 2007
  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Update:

    Puter's HD is dead... I was unable to retreive the Data... oh welll...
    goes to show you - Always back up your Data
    Dave, Feb 27, 2007