fix floppy boot sector/ fat?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anglomont@yahoo.com, Jan 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    FATs as well)
    now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
    disk' that refresh the

    boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    suppose this does not work

    but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    try the recovery?
    Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    (possibly partially
    damaged)copies?
    tnx
    , Jan 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    > FATs as well)
    > now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
    > disk' that refresh the
    >
    > boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    > suppose this does not work
    >
    > but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    > try the recovery?
    > Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    > (possibly partially
    > damaged)copies?
    > tnx


    Many many moons ago, I used Norton Tools for that kind of work. I imagine it
    would be hard to find the old version 3 set of Norton disks though.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. NetNews Guest

    I've always thought that the boot sector of a floppy (512 bytes) is peculiar
    to the DOS version you intend
    to put on the floppy. I'm not certain this was true anymore since advent of
    WinXP (DOS 5.1.2600).
    I could attach it to email if you like, but you will need a freebie program
    like BOOTBACK.EXE by
    MarXoft (1997) to place it on any given floppy. From there just a matter of
    physically copying some
    vital files to the floppy to make the floppy bootable into real DOS. If you
    like, I could also upload to
    alt.freeware.binaries my special bootfloppy that will provide you real DOS
    with USB flashdrive support.
    ========================================================================

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    > FATs as well)
    > now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
    > disk' that refresh the
    >
    > boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    > suppose this does not work
    >
    > but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    > try the recovery?
    > Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    > (possibly partially
    > damaged)copies?
    > tnx
    >
    NetNews, Jan 18, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    >> FATs as well)
    >> now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
    >> disk' that refresh the


    >> boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    >> suppose this does not work
    >>
    >> but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    >> try the recovery?
    >> Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    >> (possibly partially
    >> damaged)copies?
    >> tnx


    >Many many moons ago, I used Norton Tools for that kind of work. I imagine it
    >would be hard to find the old version 3 set of Norton disks though.


    The program is called DISKEDIT.exe, a great disk recovery tool.
    it's included on the Hiren_s_BootCD
    "Norton Disk Editor 2002
    a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool."
    http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_patch

    Torrent client http://utorrent.com/
    --
    99 red ballons
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4
    , Jan 18, 2007
    #4
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    > FATs as well)
    > now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
    > disk' that refresh the
    >
    > boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    > suppose this does not work
    >
    > but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    > try the recovery?
    > Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    > (possibly partially
    > damaged)copies?
    > tnx
    >

    ===============

    From my earlier posted follow-up, I decided to upload to
    alt.binaries.freeware my nuclear-powered boot floppy. Use
    at your own risk. Don't mess around with NTFS in DOS unless
    you KNOW what you are doing.
    Chief Suspect, Jan 18, 2007
    #5
  6. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, NetNews wrote:

    > I'm not certain this was true anymore since advent of
    > WinXP (DOS 5.1.2600).


    DOS?

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2007
    #6
  7. Guest

    wrote in
    news:p:


    >
    > The program is called DISKEDIT.exe, a great disk recovery tool.
    > it's included on the Hiren_s_BootCD
    > "Norton Disk Editor 2002
    > a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool."
    > http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_
    > patch
    >
    > Torrent client http://utorrent.com/



    Once again, how do you know that someone hasn't snuck a trojan into this
    torren download? The original (wherever that may be) could be the greatest
    CD on the net, but who knows where to find out since the Hiren site has no
    links.

    What they've created is a situation where no two Hiren's CD downloads may
    be the same, though they have the same version number.

    I don't know why people, though well meaning, are so willing to pass on
    these torrents without knowing the origin.
    , Jan 19, 2007
    #7
  8. Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote in
    >news:p:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> The program is called DISKEDIT.exe, a great disk recovery tool.
    >> it's included on the Hiren_s_BootCD
    >> "Norton Disk Editor 2002
    >> a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool."
    >> http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_
    >> patch
    >>
    >> Torrent client http://utorrent.com/


    >Once again, how do you know that someone hasn't snuck a trojan into this
    >torren download? The original (wherever that may be) could be the greatest
    >CD on the net, but who knows where to find out since the Hiren site has no
    >links.
    >
    >What they've created is a situation where no two Hiren's CD downloads may
    >be the same, though they have the same version number.
    >
    >I don't know why people, though well meaning, are so willing to pass on
    >these torrents without knowing the origin.


    It's self governing, if a trojan/virus were included it would be noted
    in the comments.

    I trust it and uses it as well, but if you have concerns don't use it.

    As for the updates, this frigging program is updated almost weekly, I
    still use 8.6. - really just on hand if ever needed.

    The included program DISKEDIT, is the best program I've used for the
    problem the OP has, and only like 150K. Just a bit of a learning
    curve.


    --
    99 red ballons
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4
    , Jan 19, 2007
    #8
  9. WhzzKdd Guest

    wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    >>> FATs as well)
    >>> now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and
    >>> 'Test disk' that refresh the

    >
    >>> boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    >>> suppose this does not work
    >>>
    >>> but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    >>> try the recovery?
    >>> Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    >>> (possibly partially
    >>> damaged)copies?
    >>> tnx

    >
    >> Many many moons ago, I used Norton Tools for that kind of work. I
    >> imagine it would be hard to find the old version 3 set of Norton
    >> disks though.

    >
    > The program is called DISKEDIT.exe, a great disk recovery tool.
    > it's included on the Hiren_s_BootCD
    > "Norton Disk Editor 2002
    > a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool."
    > http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_patch
    >
    > Torrent client http://utorrent.com/


    Yup - diskedit. Sector by sector search, copy, and save to another device.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 19, 2007
    #9
  10. Guest

    Thanks all
    especially NetNews and Chief Suspect if you guys bother to email/upload
    your tools
    I am not sure but guess PC floppy boot sector contents depend on size
    rather tha Dos version, but again question is if it is physically
    damaged you cannot insert good info in it...
    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> wrote:
    > >>> Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
    > >>> FATs as well)
    > >>> now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and
    > >>> 'Test disk' that refresh the

    > >
    > >>> boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
    > >>> suppose this does not work
    > >>>
    > >>> but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
    > >>> try the recovery?
    > >>> Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
    > >>> (possibly partially
    > >>> damaged)copies?
    > >>> tnx

    > >
    > >> Many many moons ago, I used Norton Tools for that kind of work. I
    > >> imagine it would be hard to find the old version 3 set of Norton
    > >> disks though.

    > >
    > > The program is called DISKEDIT.exe, a great disk recovery tool.
    > > it's included on the Hiren_s_BootCD
    > > "Norton Disk Editor 2002
    > > a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool."
    > > http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_patch
    > >
    > > Torrent client http://utorrent.com/

    >
    > Yup - diskedit. Sector by sector search, copy, and save to another device.
    , Jan 20, 2007
    #10
  11. WhzzKdd Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks all
    > especially NetNews and Chief Suspect if you guys bother to
    > email/upload your tools
    > I am not sure but guess PC floppy boot sector contents depend on size
    > rather tha Dos version, but again question is if it is physically
    > damaged you cannot insert good info in it...


    Which is why Pennywise and I suggested Diskedit. That program allows you to
    read the defective floppy disk, and copy the contents onto a different
    medium. The disk boot sector is NOT NEEDED, so if it is defective, it
    doesn't matter.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 20, 2007
    #11
  12. On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:00:22 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    <> wrote:


    >
    >Which is why Pennywise and I suggested Diskedit. That program allows you to
    >read the defective floppy disk, and copy the contents onto a different
    >medium. The disk boot sector is NOT NEEDED, so if it is defective, it
    >doesn't matter.
    >
    >

    Know of anything that can examine and repair the file system of an
    LS-120 floppy?

    I've got three that were hosed by a defective "zip/ls-120" installer
    in Puppy Linux. Now neither Windows98 nor Win2K can properly format
    them, and I haven't found any tool that can examine them.

    I suspect the installer was written for ZIP100 disks, and tries to
    handle LS-120s the same way. In the installer, Gparted looked at the
    disk as hdd, and decided to format it with a 117MB partition hdd1.
    Since then, it doesn't recognize the disks at all...
    --

    Achim
    _____/)
    axethetax
    Achim Nolcken Lohse, Jan 22, 2007
    #12
  13. WhzzKdd Guest

    Achim Nolcken Lohse wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:00:22 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Which is why Pennywise and I suggested Diskedit. That program allows
    >> you to read the defective floppy disk, and copy the contents onto a
    >> different medium. The disk boot sector is NOT NEEDED, so if it is
    >> defective, it doesn't matter.
    >>
    >>

    > Know of anything that can examine and repair the file system of an
    > LS-120 floppy?
    >
    > I've got three that were hosed by a defective "zip/ls-120" installer
    > in Puppy Linux. Now neither Windows98 nor Win2K can properly format
    > them, and I haven't found any tool that can examine them.
    >
    > I suspect the installer was written for ZIP100 disks, and tries to
    > handle LS-120s the same way. In the installer, Gparted looked at the
    > disk as hdd, and decided to format it with a 117MB partition hdd1.
    > Since then, it doesn't recognize the disks at all...


    Not really - I didn't get on the LS-120 band wagon. Heck, I hardly have much
    experience with ZIP drives or similar devices. I pretty much stayed away
    from them. Have you tried using a different partition editor to delete what
    is there, and try a FAT32 instead? I have a Knoppix live CD with a partition
    editor that I use for the infrequent times I run across something odd. (Like
    the way Sony partitions their PCs - a small C: and large D: partition,
    which, since most users don't know how to use multiple data storage devices,
    the C: drive gets crammed full, slowing or even crashing the system, and the
    D: is totally empty.)
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007
    #13
  14. On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:48:38 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    <> wrote:

    >Achim Nolcken Lohse wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:00:22 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    >> <> wrote:

    ....
    >>
    >> I suspect the installer was written for ZIP100 disks, and tries to
    >> handle LS-120s the same way. In the installer, Gparted looked at the
    >> disk as hdd, and decided to format it with a 117MB partition hdd1.
    >> Since then, it doesn't recognize the disks at all...

    >
    >Not really - I didn't get on the LS-120 band wagon. Heck, I hardly have much
    >experience with ZIP drives or similar devices. I pretty much stayed away
    >from them. Have you tried using a different partition editor to delete what
    >is there, and try a FAT32 instead?



    Within the Puppy Universal Installer, the LS-120 drive was seen as
    /dev/hdd, so Gparted saw it as a hard drive and (apparently) went to
    work on it.

    But outside of the Installer environment, Gparted and QTParted don't
    see the LS-120 disk at all. In Mepis I couldn't find any trace of the
    LS-120 drive at all. In Puppy, some modules showed it, but no mount
    utilities were able to mount it. The Pdisk utility showed it as
    /dev/hdd/LS-120 UHD, but it's just a gui for fdisk and cfdisk. When I
    tried viewing it with the former, Pdisk just closed. And when I tried
    it with cfdisk, Pdisk announced "fatal error: cannot open disk drive".

    So it looks like the only module of Puppy that can access the LS-120
    is the Puppy Universal Installer, which seems pretty bizarre. I mean,
    if you understand the drive format well enough to partition and format
    it, and install a working copy of Linux to it, as the Installer claims
    to do, then you surely should be able to display its contents on
    screen.

    Then it gets weirder. When I put the disk into the Win98 system, it
    wants to format it as either 720K 1.44M or 6.2M. In Win2K, it shows up
    as 120MB allright, but only the quick format works.

    I just loaded one up with 118MB of files under win98, then ran defrag
    and surface verify on it. It passed, but with 2,048 Bytes of bad
    sectors. A second disk passed without errors, and the third had 36,000
    Bytes of bad sectors. And the Win98 Format options stay the same. So
    at this point Win2K is my only means of formatting these disks.






    --

    Achim
    _____/)
    axethetax
    Achim Nolcken Lohse, Jan 23, 2007
    #14
  15. On this special day, wrote :

    > I am not sure but guess PC floppy boot sector contents depend on size
    > rather tha Dos version, but again question is if it is physically
    > damaged you cannot insert good info in it...


    There is a program that copies from floppies no matter what. You can
    download it from here:
    http://www.moenk.de/index.php?serendipity[subpage]=Downloads&thiscat=2&file=1

    The site is in German, but the menu is in english, so it should be
    manageable. The program was once shareware, but after floppy drives
    have become quite rare, the programmer decided to release it as
    freeware.

    It is *only* for diskettes; I doubt that you can copy a zip drive or a
    LS-120 with it.


    Gabriele Neukam





    --
    If everybody started to do what they think should be done for the
    common
    good, democracy would not exist anymore.
    -
    Guillermito in alt.comp.virus
    Gabriele Neukam, Jan 23, 2007
    #15
  16. On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:03:47 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
    <> wrote:

    .....
    >There is a program that copies from floppies no matter what. You can
    >download it from here:
    >http://www.moenk.de/index.php?serendipity[subpage]=Downloads&thiscat=2&file=1
    >
    >The site is in German, but the menu is in english, so it should be
    >manageable. The program was once shareware, but after floppy drives
    >have become quite rare, the programmer decided to release it as
    >freeware.
    >
    >It is *only* for diskettes; I doubt that you can copy a zip drive or a
    >LS-120 with it.


    Hi Gabriele.

    I visited the site, and explored it with the help of my limited and
    rusty German. I'm pretty sure your guess about not supporting LS-120
    disk is spot-on, but the program might be useful in other ways, so I
    downloaded it.

    Then the frustration started. I wanted to contact the author, because
    he seems to be seriously involved with Linux advocacy. I thought he
    might be able to point me to a way of finding PCMCIA and/or LS-120
    boot-up support. Unfortunately, only an online contact form was
    offered.

    So I filled it out, only to find that I couldn't duplicate the
    anti-spam string I was required to submit. It consisted of a numeral
    and a graphic I don't recognize. I submitted the numeral, and was
    warned that my key was incorrect, and offered another one. But this
    one was unreadable on my monitor (very faint yellow on white)! So I
    just hit submit without entering anything, hoping to get a readable,
    reproducible string on the next try. But the form then trashed
    everything I'd entered...

    Maddening!

    Do you by any chance have an e-mail address for this fellow?

    --

    Achim
    _____/)
    axethetax
    Achim Nolcken Lohse, Jan 23, 2007
    #16
  17. On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:03:47 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
    <> wrote:

    ....
    >There is a program that copies from floppies no matter what. You can
    >download it from here:
    >http://www.moenk.de/index.php?serendipity[subpage]=Downloads&thiscat=2&file=1
    >

    Hi Gabrielle. Please ignore the help request in my previous response.


    I went back and looked at all the other pages in the Moenk website,
    and found there IS an e-mail contact address available in the
    "Impressum" page (I expect to find it under contact, or in this case,
    "Kontakt", and assumed a contact form meant NO e-mail address offered,
    as is almost universally the case).

    Will send them an e-mail.

    Thanks for the pointer.

    --

    Achim
    _____/)
    axethetax
    Achim Nolcken Lohse, Jan 23, 2007
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JesterDev

    Repair windows 2000 pro boot sector?

    JesterDev, Jul 31, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,005
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    Aug 5, 2003
  2. Dutch Treat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    824
    Dutch Treat
    Dec 6, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

    Floppy drive formats in FAT?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Mar 2, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    455
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=
    Mar 3, 2007
  4. Peter

    Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

    Peter, Jul 3, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    536
    David Kerber
    Aug 10, 2010
  5. Robert Coe

    Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    407
    John McWilliams
    Jul 4, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page