Fix broken pages (eg: beta-groups) with greasemonkey or related css/XPI?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by SpamCan, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. SpamCan

    SpamCan Guest

    I haven't learned css partly because it looks as if regular tags are
    more efficient for a single web page. However here and there
    greasemonkey and other info suggest applying css could be very useful
    to fix defective web pages. Space-wasting feed or blog pages.

    Prime example: broke-google-groups.com (preemie beta)
    Google hasn't yet managed to create page titles from search phrase or
    from message/post subject line, as in the real google.groups. if you
    edit the search phrase on the results page, broke.google loses the
    "sort by date" setting!

    I'm not sure if any css or css tool can fix these problems.
    Creating a title suggests the xpi or css has to "suck" the search
    phrase out of somewhere in the page.
    "sort by date" seems to require a conditional (condition: was the
    current page status "Sorted by Date" or "Sorted by relevance"?)

    Has anyone tried fixing pages with Greasemonkey and/or Aardvark or
    Platypus or other??? Proxomitron?

    SpamCan, Jun 1, 2005

  2. SpamCan

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "SpamCan" <>
    writing in news::

    > I haven't learned css partly because it looks as if regular tags are
    > more efficient for a single web page. However here and there
    > greasemonkey and other info suggest applying css could be very useful
    > to fix defective web pages. Space-wasting feed or blog pages.

    I don't think you understand CSS at all. CSS does not have any tags, as a
    matter of fact, tags are the opening and closing delimiters for HTML
    elements.

    If you remove all presentational markup from a document, and you can still
    read it, then start styling it with CSS. Use an external stylesheet.
    Almost any element can be styled.

    > Prime example: broke-google-groups.com (preemie beta)
    > Google hasn't yet managed to create page titles from search phrase or
    > from message/post subject line, as in the real google.groups. if you
    > edit the search phrase on the results page, broke.google loses the
    > "sort by date" setting!
    >
    > I'm not sure if any css or css tool can fix these problems.
    > Creating a title suggests the xpi or css has to "suck" the search
    > phrase out of somewhere in the page.
    > "sort by date" seems to require a conditional (condition: was the
    > current page status "Sorted by Date" or "Sorted by relevance"?)
    >
    > Has anyone tried fixing pages with Greasemonkey and/or Aardvark or
    > Platypus or other??? Proxomitron?

    CSS would not fix any of these issues. These are server side issues.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jun 1, 2005