    1. Advertising

  2. Penguin Man

    Penguin Moan Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:39:00 +1200, Penguin Man wrote:

    > http://...

    "I already posted this same link yesterday as William
    Brown.. You chaps paid no attention to me.."

    "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time
    when I post as Penguin Man.."
    Penguin Moan, Sep 18, 2010

  3. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:30:24 +1200, Penguin Moan wrote:

    > "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time when I post as
    > Penguin Man.."

    [plonk!]

    Sweetpea, Sep 18, 2010
  4. On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:57:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:30:24 +1200, Penguin Moan wrote:
    >
    >> "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time when I post as
    >> Penguin Man.."

    >[plonk!]

    You just show the level of intelligent of the Kiwi, I wonder what the
    world thinks of NZ with the bunch of idiots that infest this news
    group..
    William Brown, Sep 19, 2010
  5. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:57:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>[plonk!]

    > > You just show the level of intelligent of the Kiwi, I wonder what the
    > > world thinks of NZ with the bunch of idiots that infest this news
    > > group..
    > >

    > Sweaty Pee won't engage in a discussion with anyone who resorts to using
    > facts such as benchmarks to support a position.
    >
    > I ran the Futuremark Peacekeeper benchmark on my own machine using IE8,
    > Opera 6 and Firefox 3.6. The scores I got were similar to those charted in
    > the article you referenced:
    >
    > IE8: 998
    > Chrome 6: 8880
    > Firefox 3.6: 2931
    >
    > Google Chrome looks like the clear winner.
    >
    > This is consistent with other benchmarks I've seen. For example, Tom's
    > Hardware:
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opera-10.60-internet-explorer-9-safari-5,2680.html

    Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
    rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
    (though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
    still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
    out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
    Chrome just doesn't work).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 19, 2010
  6. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >(snip)

    >Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
    >rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    Ah ... would that be because it's non standard and written to use all the
    extensions and add ons MS broke the standards with perhaps ? :)
    Then there's the (few I hope) sites that say they are broken if you use a
    non MS browser ... but work fine if you lie about which browser you are
    really using. :)

    >Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
    >(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
    >still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
    >out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
    >Chrome just doesn't work).

    I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 20, 2010
  7. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i7693v$19d$-september.org>,
    z says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >(snip)

    > >Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
    > >rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    > Ah ... would that be because it's non standard and written to use all the
    > extensions and add ons MS broke the standards with perhaps ? :)
    > Then there's the (few I hope) sites that say they are broken if you use a
    > non MS browser ... but work fine if you lie about which browser you are
    > really using. :)

    It (Chrome) does that anyway...
    Google Chrome...
    Your browser identified itself as:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3
    (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.62 Safari/534.3

    IE8...
    Your browser identified itself as:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET
    CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
    OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

    > >Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
    > >(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
    > >still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
    > >out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
    > >Chrome just doesn't work).

    > I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken. :)

    I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

    At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
    accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  8. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    (snip)

    I note the IDs are different (many .net things for IE) but don't know how
    much difference that will make. Chrome is not, perhaps, the best alternative
    for comparison either ?

    >> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken. :)

    >I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

    Agreed. But that it doesn't is usually/often the fault of poor programming
    tested only on IE. Whose fault is taht ? ... and who therefore should have
    the job of fixing the problem ? :)

    >At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
    >accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.

    Agreed until you get to the last part. IME, IE is the least standard of all,
    and therefore the *least* reliable and to be avoided. Mileages vary of
    course. :)

    As always, use what you like ... but please ... *do* complain if a web site
    is broken. How otherwise will they know ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 20, 2010
  9. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i76q33$hct$-september.org>,
    z says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    > I note the IDs are different (many .net things for IE) but don't know how
    > much difference that will make. Chrome is not, perhaps, the best alternative
    > for comparison either ?
    >
    > >> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken. :)

    > >I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

    > Agreed. But that it doesn't is usually/often the fault of poor programming
    > tested only on IE. Whose fault is taht ? ... and who therefore should have
    > the job of fixing the problem ? :)
    >
    > >At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
    > >accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.

    > Agreed until you get to the last part. IME, IE is the least standard of all,
    > and therefore the *least* reliable and to be avoided. Mileages vary of
    > course. :)

    Do you have any evidence to back that up? IE8 is a *very* standards
    compliant browser.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_8#Standards_support

    IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  10. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:58:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
    > rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  11. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:42:00 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> >Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
    >> >(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome,
    >> >I still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome
    >> >errors out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable)
    >> >(Google Chrome just doesn't work).

    >> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken. :)

    > I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

    The browser is working OK. The website is broken.

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  12. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

    IE9 doesn't work everywhere.

    It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
    of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  13. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

    > IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
    >
    > It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
    > of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

    I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  14. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:58:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
    > > rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    > Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!

    All of them!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  15. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:44 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> > Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the
    >> > best rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

    >> Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!

    > All of them!

    LOL!

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  16. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:32 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >> > IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

    >> IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
    >>
    >> It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
    >> of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

    > I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

    It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
    But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
    computers.

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  17. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:32 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
    > >>
    > >> It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
    > >> of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

    > > I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

    > It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
    > But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
    > computers.

    You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
    platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
    browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

    You're at the wrong end of the stick.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  18. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:51:50 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> > I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

    >> It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
    >> But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
    >> computers.

    > You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
    > platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
    > browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

    You claimed that MSIE9 works everywhere. That is patiently not true - it
    doesn't even work on WindowsXP.

    No point in saying MSIE renders CSS3 if that browser is not supported on
    less than half of one of the 4 major platforms!

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010
  19. Penguin Man

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >> It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
    > >> But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
    > >> computers.

    > > You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
    > > platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
    > > browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

    > You claimed that MSIE9 works everywhere. That is patiently not true - it
    > doesn't even work on WindowsXP.
    >
    > No point in saying MSIE renders CSS3 if that browser is not supported on
    > less than half of one of the 4 major platforms!

    Again, you are barking up the wrong tree - IE8 (I said) works everywhere
    - ie on all *websites*. IE9 is even more compliant and standards
    friendly.

    You *still* have the wrong end of the stick.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 20, 2010
  20. Penguin Man

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:39:35 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Again, you are barking up the wrong tree - IE8 (I said) works everywhere
    > - ie on all *websites*. IE9 is even more compliant and standards
    > friendly.
    >
    > You *still* have the wrong end of the stick.

    Sorry - Wrong!

    No point in IE9 being able to render the entire of the WWW if it is only
    available on WinNT6.0 and WinNT6.1 and on NO OTHER version of MS Windows,
    and on NO OTHER platform!

    Sweetpea, Sep 20, 2010