    RichA Guest

    I hope shut down doesn't mean "brought down." Also, any plants with
    clean rooms in the path of that water are pretty much done for.
    RichA, Mar 13, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    >I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they aren't
    >already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    You're right. Haiti has no nuclear power stations.
    Bruce, Mar 13, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    >Bruce writes:
    >
    >> You're right. Haiti has no nuclear power stations.

    >Haiti doesn't have much of anything, except poverty, corruption, malnutrition,
    >and disease.

    Whoosh!
    Bruce, Mar 13, 2011
  4. RichA

    Tarasz Guest

    Le Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:43:30 -0700, Val Hallah a écrit :

    > they should have factories in china.....

    They have already.
    Tarasz, Mar 13, 2011
  5. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 14/03/2011 5:57 a.m., Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2011.03.13 6:19 , Dickie Bell wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:54:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope shut down doesn't mean "brought down." Also, any plants with
    >>> clean rooms in the path of that water are pretty much done for.

    >> Do you think, I use "think" in it's broadest sense, that the price of
    >> plastic will go up? {;--)))

    > It's not just Sony. Entire supply chains are down for many companies
    > (incl. automotive, computers, etc.).
    >
    > With many of these co's espousing JIT delivery, it doesn't take much to
    > stop manufacturing.

    As well as other infrastructural damage, when road/rail is disrupted,
    people can't get to work, and even if they could, they've surely got
    plenty of more important things to do right now.
    Japan's building codes are pretty stringent, modern buildings should
    take at least double the intensity of ground-shaking generated by that
    quake. So a big clean-up, structural engineering inspection, and once
    infrastructure is back up, they should be back in production.

    It was a "great quake" in magnitude, but it was definitely not /the/
    great quake, which could be much lower magnitude, but much closer to a
    heavily populated centre - like the 1923 Great Kanto quake.

    Those old nuke plants are a worry. Fukushima #1 (1967 by GE) was
    designed to withstand pga of 18% g. That degree of ground shaking was
    experienced in Tokyo - almost 400km from the epicentre. Since the 1994
    Northbridge California quake in particular, it's been known that pgas
    from even relatively minor quakes can exceed that many times over.
    Me, Mar 13, 2011
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:54:29 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : I hope shut down doesn't mean "brought down." Also, any plants with
    : clean rooms in the path of that water are pretty much done for.

    Funny you should allude to the consequences of the quake for companies in
    Japan. How do you feel now about any Japanese company with the foresight, or
    just the dumb luck, to have recently opened a plant in China?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2011
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:29:20 +0100, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    : I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they aren't
    : already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    You don't say. If you have a TV set, you might want to consider turning it on.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2011
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:49:38 +0100, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    : Bruce writes:
    :
    : > You're right. Haiti has no nuclear power stations.
    :
    : Haiti doesn't have much of anything, except poverty, corruption,
    : malnutrition, and disease. If it had a nuclear power plant, at least
    : it would have electricity, although I wouldn't trust Haiti to run any
    : power plant safely.

    I wonder if you know any more about Haiti than you do about Japan. As it
    happens, some of the smartest, hardest-working, most resilient people I know
    have migrated to the U.S. from Haiti.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2011
  9. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 13, 8:29 am, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they aren't
    > already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    Anyone remember the Sumitomo memory plant fire in the 1980s?
    Rich, Mar 14, 2011
  10. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 13, 8:43 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > >I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they aren't
    > >already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    > You're right.  Haiti has no nuclear power stations.

    Thank goodness. They would have built the containment vessels with
    90% sand in the cement!
    Rich, Mar 14, 2011
  11. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 13, 9:27 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:54:29 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > : I hope shut down doesn't mean "brought down."  Also, any plants with
    > : clean rooms in the path of that water are pretty much done for.
    >
    > Funny you should allude to the consequences of the quake for companies in
    > Japan. How do you feel now about any Japanese company with the foresight,or
    > just the dumb luck, to have recently opened a plant in China?
    >
    > Bob

    When China's communist regime falls, and the country is turned back
    into feudal states, I don't know what that will do to the camera
    makers.
    Rich, Mar 14, 2011
  12. > Tokyo is largely unscathed. Our CEO had to walk home; which took her
    > five
    > hours. But we're fine. The northeast of Japan isn't.
    >
    > --
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Good to hear from you, David, many of us had been concerned for your
    welfare. Yes, we see the images on the TV - almost beyond comprehension
    as to what it means for the people involved.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 14, 2011
  13. RichA

    Alex Monro Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > On Mar 13, 8:29 am, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    >> I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they aren't
    >> already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    > Anyone remember the Sumitomo memory plant fire in the 1980s?

    Yes. It wasn't a memory plant. It was a plant making the plastic resin
    that memory chips are packaged in.

    The downside of economies of scale leading to all production of a
    commodity being concentrated in one place.
    Alex Monro, Mar 14, 2011
  14. RichA

    Alex Monro Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:54:29 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    > : I hope shut down doesn't mean "brought down." Also, any plants with
    > : clean rooms in the path of that water are pretty much done for.
    >
    > Funny you should allude to the consequences of the quake for companies in
    > Japan. How do you feel now about any Japanese company with the foresight,
    > or just the dumb luck, to have recently opened a plant in China?

    China also suffers earthquakes.

    My sympathy goes out to the people of Japan, and all other nations that have
    suffered major disasters.
    Alex Monro, Mar 14, 2011
  15. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    "Rich" wrote in message

    On Mar 13, 8:43 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > >I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon,
    > >if they aren't
    > >already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    > You're right. Haiti has no nuclear power stations.

    Thank goodness. They would have built the containment
    vessels with
    90% sand in the cement!

    ======================================

    Concrete. It's concrete. Cement is the adhesive portion of
    the aggregate.
    Bowser, Mar 14, 2011
  16. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    wrote:
    > : I'm sure the plants will be back in operation very soon, if they

    aren't
    > : already. Japan isn't Haiti.

    > You don't say. If you have a TV set, you might want to consider

    turning it on.

    > Bob

    Faux News is all he needs

    --
    from my Droid
    Peter N, Mar 15, 2011
  17. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:32:36 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:
    > Semiconductor fabrication (by Japanese companies) itself is still

    mostly

    Good to see you posting

    --
    from my Droid
    Peter N, Mar 15, 2011
  18. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    <> said:

    > >> Semiconductor fabrication (by Japanese companies) itself is

    still mostly
    > >> Japan. The China plants are assembly.

    > > Good hear from you. I hope your family is safe.
    > > I am sure that I can speak for most here, in saying our best

    wishes go all
    > > who are dealing with the aftermath this tragedy.

    > Tokyo is largely unscathed. Our CEO had to walk home; which took

    her five
    > hours. But we're fine. The northeast of Japan isn't.

    My daughter spent a semester in that part of Japan. She is really
    worried about some of the people she met there

    --
    from my Droid
    Peter N, Mar 15, 2011