Five Reasons for Making the Switch to Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
    techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?

    In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for your
    business and your bottom line.
    Reason 1: Productivity

    Lets start with how the overall speed and general stability that Linux
    contributes to productivity. Granted there will be a small learning curve
    for users that aren't at least a bit computer savvy, but today's
    distributions are very easy for a Windows user to become accustomed to.

    A huge amount of software is available on the Web, many of which are free of
    charge and some that are driven by large, well-known companies. For
    productivity it's hard to beat OpenOffice. A free and viable alternative to
    Microsoft Office, boasts compatibility with its file formats and offers
    functionality only the most hard core of users of the Office suite will
    miss. Open Office is free to download and distribute throughout your
    organization. This could represent a major savings of thousands of dollars
    in licensing fees that most businesses pay to Microsoft every year.

    There are hundreds if not thousands of other free software titles available
    for Linux that can help with productivity. Wikipedia is a great resource
    for finding links to free Linux based open source software.
    Reason 2: Security

    There are constant news reports about the millions of dollars in damages and
    downtime caused by viruses and Trojans that attack Windows based PC's.
    Linux is virtually free of these kinds of attacks.

    Another consideration is spyware, which generates countless calls to IT
    helpdesk's across the globe. Spyware is nearly non-existent for Linux.
    Linux, a variety of UNIX, is by default, a very secure multi-user platform.
    It is of course, made by humans and therefore not perfect and there are
    many websitse out there with ways to harden Linux and make it even more
    secure.

    Locked down tight, Linux makes a great file server, proxy server, or
    firewall and has been used in this capacity for over a decade.
    Reason 3: Linux Maturity

    As every enterprise-class IT organization knows, Linux is a powerhouse on
    servers and its abilities have been fine tuned for years. There is no doubt
    that on low to mid-range servers, Linux is a Microsoft's largest
    competitor. However, with the recent release of the 2.6 kernel, many new
    features have been added that make this release even more robust. Take, for
    instance, tickless idle for power savings, which can translate into lower
    electrical bills and longer battery life. (For a short overview, see this
    Wikipedia entry.)

    Although the Linux desktop is still not quite as mature as the Windows
    platform, there have been great strides that deserve a fresh look at this
    useful and free operating system. When you begin to evaluate whether a move
    to Linux on desktops is viable for your business, you will need to weigh
    cost factors like software availability, potential software integration
    issues, and usability.

    If the software you require to run your business is available to run under
    Linux, you'll quickly see the cost savings.
    Reason 4: Availability

    There are several mainstream versions of Linux, and hundreds of other,
    smaller, specialty versions of Linux.

    Among the most popular versions of Linux available today is Red Hat Linux,
    which is mainly a server version. For the desktop version check out the
    Fedora Project and SuSe Linux. Both are very stable versions of Linux that
    have been picked up by Novell.

    A newcomer to the Linux desktop scene and probably the most popular among
    home users is Ubuntu. The latest version of this OS, called "Gutsy Gibbon",
    was just released last week and was met with fantastic reviews. We've been
    running this on our laptops for several weeks with the pre-release copy
    that we received and we can't say enough about its performance and ease of
    use.

    It's important to remember when pitching these OS alternatives to your
    senior management that they are completely free for as many copies as your
    business needs.
    Reason 5: Cost

    Linux cost range from very inexpensive -- depending on the distribution you
    choose -- to free. Yes you read that right, FREE. There are several version
    of Linux which you do pay for, but you are not paying for the software, you
    are paying for tech support, or documentation. However, one does not always
    need to purchase tech support from the software developer.

    One of the major advantages of Linux is that there is a huge community of
    people across the globe that dedicate their own time and resources to help
    keep the community up to date on fixes and bugs.

    Usually if a bug is found in Linux, it's fixed or patched within a few
    hours, versus weeks, or even months as is sometimes the case with Microsoft
    Windows. Plus you have right to modify the OS as you see fit with some
    programming experience. Try doing that with Windows and odds are you'll get
    a nasty cease and desist letter in the mail.

    In closing, these reasons sum up how moving to a Linux based desktop or even
    server system can save your company where it counts most: the bottom line.
    With the amount of freely available software and support, now is the time
    to begin investigating how Linux can be a cost-effective component in
    helping your business to grow and succeed in the years to come.

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3707436

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
    http://www.ubuntu.com

    Au79, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Au79

    Scott W Guest

    In article <>, wich
    says...
    > I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    Linux is hard.
    --
    "USA is the most pathetic country in the world!"
    -- Gordon Ramsay (aka Iron Chef)

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Au79

    Tony Guest

    I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

    Tony, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Au79

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

    Googleweb: Your search - "weiner windup" - did not match any documents.
    Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any documents.

    Googlegroups: Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any
    documents.
    Results 1 - 1 of 1 for "weiner windup "

    From: Tony

    [...] The guy is some weiner windup [...]

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.drugs.pot/msg/bb98e0dee8878691 or
    http://snipr.com/1ssod

    Apparently Tony is the only person on the internet who uses the term
    'weiner windup'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 27, 2007
  6. Au79

    Tony Guest

    "weiner windup" pronounced winedup is a term from the 1960's i used to call
    people that way back when. Weiner is slang for cock and i'm not sure how
    windup got added to the end of it but i didn't make up that line i hear it
    from someone else first.

    Tony, Oct 27, 2007
  7. Scott W wrote:

    > Linux is hard.

    Idiot.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

    William Poaster, Oct 27, 2007
  8. Au79

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:06:10 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >Scott W wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is hard.

    >Idiot.

    I see flatfish is crossposting his inane drivel again. I wonder how many
    dumbasses will fall for the crossposting troll *this* time.

    I'd start a betting pool but I've got most of the messier ones blocked already
    and wouldn't see them. Yay!

    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

    Mara, Oct 27, 2007
  9. Au79

    Scott W Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Scott W wrote:
    >
    > > Linux is hard.

    > Idiot.

    Oh kewl! Yer smart! Can you help me install Linix?

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2007
  10. Au79

    Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:58:04 -0700, Au79 <> wrote:

    >Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
    >techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?
    >
    >In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for your
    >business and your bottom line.
    >Reason 1: Productivity

    Oh Bunk! Linux is based on 1960's technology. Microsoft Vista was written in
    the 21st century. Linux is the Edsel of computers. Something like .81 % of
    computers run Linux on the desktop. It is a interesting relic of the by gone
    computer era, like the Commodore 64, but no one uses Linux on the desktop
    unless they are Linux zealots.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

    , Oct 28, 2007
  11. wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:58:04 -0700, Au79 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
    >>techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?
    >>
    >>In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for
    >>your business and your bottom line.
    >>Reason 1: Productivity

    > Oh Bunk! Linux is based on 1960's technology.

    Utter bullshit.

    <snip rest of trollcrap>

    *Plonk*

    William Poaster, Oct 28, 2007
  12. Au79

    nobody > Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

    > Regards Tony... Making usenet worse for everyone everyday

    Do something useful or STFU. From what I've seen of your remotely useful
    posts, you might as well STFU permanently. (Oh yeah, I checked your
    posts in other NGs.)

    nobody >, Oct 28, 2007
  13. Au79

    elaich Guest

    Scott W <> wrote in

    > Oh kewl! Yer smart! Can you help me install Linix?

    It's far easier than installing Windows. But, maybe you can't do that,
    either.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Oct 28, 2007
  14. Au79

    Scott W Guest

    In article <>, |@|.| says...
    > Scott W <> wrote in
    >
    > > Oh kewl! Yer smart! Can you help me install Linix?

    > It's far easier than installing Windows. But, maybe you can't do that,
    > either.

    You sound like a stroppy little lass.

    Scott W, Oct 28, 2007
  15. Mara wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:06:10 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >
    >>Scott W wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is hard.

    >>Idiot.

    > I see flatfish is crossposting his inane drivel again. I wonder how many
    > dumbasses will fall for the crossposting troll *this* time.

    <shrug> Place your bets...

    > I'd start a betting pool but I've got most of the messier ones blocked
    > already and wouldn't see them. Yay!

    Flatfish often crossposts into M$ groups & alt.kooks etc, so by blocking
    those I don't see any of his crap or replies.

    William Poaster, Oct 28, 2007
  16. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Au79 wrote:

    > Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
    > techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?

    Because if you have an important webpage you really should host it on a
    Linux server, not a MS server. That' why.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 29, 2007
  17. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:D5KUi.5041$:

    > Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
    > techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?
    >
    > In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for
    > your business and your bottom line.

    [stuff deleted for brevity]

    > In closing, these reasons sum up how moving to a Linux based desktop or
    > even server system can save your company where it counts most: the
    > bottom line. With the amount of freely available software and support,
    > now is the time to begin investigating how Linux can be a cost-effective
    > component in helping your business to grow and succeed in the years to
    > come.
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3707436

    Except changing an organization of more than a few people to a new
    environment is very costly in time and training. If you have an company with
    thousands of employees you don't just take away Windows/Office and replace
    it with *nix overnight. Now if you are starting from scratch it MIGHT be the
    way to go.

    Fuzzy Logic, Oct 29, 2007