    Does anyone own this box set? I have been thinking about ordering it
    from Amazon but I am reluctant to do so because I am not sure of the
    quality. Any info appreciated, than.

    Lawrence, Aug 14, 2004

  2. On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:44:16 GMT, Lawrence <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone own this box set? I have been thinking about ordering it
    >from Amazon but I am reluctant to do so because I am not sure of the
    >quality. Any info appreciated, than.

    If you mean the Warner box then it's some of the best Noir films
    including the most-sought "Out of the Past," and it's Warner, with
    extras and impeccable mastering quality. Of COURSE it's good! And
    there are certainly enough reviews of the set in the forums and review
    sites, including links from the newsgroup. ... Do you want these films
    or not?!

    And if you're talking about the five Universal Noirs, such as "Black
    Angel," then I say likewise.

    I can't understand the hesitation of some people. I got them all at a
    nice low preorder prices.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 14, 2004

  3. Lawrence

    luminos Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:44:16 GMT, Lawrence <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone own this box set? I have been thinking about ordering it
    >>from Amazon but I am reluctant to do so because I am not sure of the
    >>quality. Any info appreciated, than.

    > If you mean the Warner box then it's some of the best Noir films
    > including the most-sought "Out of the Past," and it's Warner, with
    > extras and impeccable mastering quality. Of COURSE it's good! And
    > there are certainly enough reviews of the set in the forums and review
    > sites, including links from the newsgroup. ... Do you want these films
    > or not?!
    >
    > And if you're talking about the five Universal Noirs, such as "Black
    > Angel," then I say likewise.
    >
    > I can't understand the hesitation of some people. I got them all at a
    > nice low preorder prices.
    >
    > .. Steve .

    Because this is the same genre of film that has been abused by Madacy et al.

    luminos, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Lawrence

    Lawrence Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:44:16 GMT, Lawrence <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone own this box set? I have been thinking about ordering it

    >>from Amazon but I am reluctant to do so because I am not sure of the

    >>quality. Any info appreciated, than.

    > If you mean the Warner box then it's some of the best Noir films
    > including the most-sought "Out of the Past," and it's Warner, with
    > extras and impeccable mastering quality. Of COURSE it's good! And
    > there are certainly enough reviews of the set in the forums and review
    > sites, including links from the newsgroup. ... Do you want these films
    > or not?!
    >
    > And if you're talking about the five Universal Noirs, such as "Black
    > Angel," then I say likewise.
    >
    > I can't understand the hesitation of some people. I got them all at a
    > nice low preorder prices.
    >
    > .. Steve .

    I'm sorry I should have been a little more specific, this set is put out
    by Questar Inc which prompted my query. I have the Warner set and the
    Universal 5 and am quite pleased with them. I am sending a link I know
    its way too long but I am not an expert at this sort of thing.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...d=I36J8W6X6PV7W4&v=glance&colid=1ELZWCSIY5BEZ

    Lawrence, Aug 15, 2004
  5. Lawrence

    Mr. Mike Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:59:39 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >If you mean the Warner box then it's some of the best Noir films
    >including the most-sought "Out of the Past," and it's Warner, with
    >extras and impeccable mastering quality.

    One of the reviews at Amazon says the following:

    THE TRANSFERS: In keeping with Warner's current trend of not doing all that is
    humanly possible to completely restore and remaster classic movies on DVD, the
    cumulative quality of these film is just above average. The gray scale for each
    is nicely balanced with deep solid blacks and relatively clean whites. There's a
    considerable amount of film grain and a lot of age related artifacts for a
    visual presentations that, while a considerable improvement over previously
    issued VHS tapes, are still below par for what might have been if more digital
    wizardry had been applied. There's also a considerable amount of fine detail
    shimmering, particularly in OUT OF THE PAST as well as pixelization and edge
    enhancement. Though the picture quality of all films in this box set can be
    solidly rendered, over all the quality for each is inconsistently rendered. The
    audio is mono but nicely balanced.

    Mr. Mike, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Lawrence

    KING B MAN Guest

    I have the Questar five disc set. They are better than average dubs of five
    popular Public Domain titles.
    Their copy of Detour is a step up from older VHS from Admit One video. But you
    can tell someone was playing with the video picture quality control. Certain
    scenes look like the prson was heightening the black an white as the film
    progresess. The print quality look like newly scrubbed ,as opposed to
    restored, 1950s B/W TV sitcoms. I would give the entire package a B+ rating.
    Mike

    http://hometown.aol.com/kingbman/myhomepage/intro.html

    KING B MAN, Aug 15, 2004
  7. On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:15:19 -0700, Mr. Mike <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:59:39 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>If you mean the Warner box then it's some of the best Noir films
    >>including the most-sought "Out of the Past," and it's Warner, with
    >>extras and impeccable mastering quality.

    >One of the reviews at Amazon says the following:
    >
    >THE TRANSFERS: In keeping with Warner's current trend of not doing all that is
    >humanly possible to completely restore and remaster classic movies on DVD, the
    >cumulative quality of these film is just above average. The gray scale for each
    >is nicely balanced with deep solid blacks and relatively clean whites. There's a
    >considerable amount of film grain and a lot of age related artifacts for a
    >visual presentations that, while a considerable improvement over previously
    >issued VHS tapes, are still below par for what might have been if more digital
    >wizardry had been applied. There's also a considerable amount of fine detail
    >shimmering, particularly in OUT OF THE PAST as well as pixelization and edge
    >enhancement. Though the picture quality of all films in this box set can be
    >solidly rendered, over all the quality for each is inconsistently rendered. The
    >audio is mono but nicely balanced.

    Well I had all the ones on laserdisc that were available in that
    format and the DVD is a big improvement (except for "Out of the Past"
    which is almost par.) These are 55-year old FILMS folks! I read all
    the complaints about "Mutiny in the Bounty" and it is ridiculous.
    This is the way these films look nowadays.. Warner can't afford to do
    a million-dollar frame by frame restoration on each one vis-a-vis
    Sunset Boulevard.

    ... Steve .

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 15, 2004
  8. Lawrence

    jayembee Guest

    Lawrence <> wrote:

    >I'm sorry I should have been a little more specific, this set is put out
    >by Questar Inc which prompted my query. I have the Warner set and the
    >Universal 5 and am quite pleased with them.

    You have all five Universal titles? They announced five, but only
    released four -- DOUBLE INDEMNITY was delayed.

    The four that were released were THE BIG CLOCK, BLACK ANGEL, CRISS
    CROSS, and THIS GUN FOR HIRE.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Lawrence

    Lawrence Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > Lawrence <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm sorry I should have been a little more specific, this set is put out
    >>by Questar Inc which prompted my query. I have the Warner set and the
    >>Universal 5 and am quite pleased with them.

    > You have all five Universal titles? They announced five, but only
    > released four -- DOUBLE INDEMNITY was delayed.
    >
    > The four that were released were THE BIG CLOCK, BLACK ANGEL, CRISS
    > CROSS, and THIS GUN FOR HIRE.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Sorry again, my bad. I don't have double indemnity, I'm still waiting
    to get it.

    Lawrence, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Lawrence

    karlpov Guest

    >You have all five Universal titles? They announced five, but only
    >released four -- DOUBLE INDEMNITY was delayed.
    >
    >The four that were released were THE BIG CLOCK, BLACK ANGEL, CRISS
    >CROSS, and THIS GUN FOR HIRE.

    They stuck an insert in there sorta implying that Touch of Evil was
    part of this group, although it wasn't so labelled and was put out
    much earlier.

    karlpov, Aug 16, 2004