    p^k?
    A: A psilocybin p-subgroup.

    Shane, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Out of curiousity, has anyone come across R, played with it, and have an
    > opinion on it?

    If anyone is interested:
    After playing with R last night, I found the Appendix A exercises helpful.
    I am using Minitab for statistics(121) atm, and essentially Appendix A was
    showing me how to use R as I would minitab, producing various graphs, facts
    and figures etc. Although R being lot more flexible, and cli orientated.
    Rattle is sen by some as a GUI for R, but for the moment I am sticking with
    just R.

    > Further, how does it stack up against [say] java?

    Again, if anyone is interested I am looking to compare Weka (Written in
    Java, also, incidentally, by Waikato University) to R (Written incidentally
    by Auckland University), or Rattle (Um)

    --
    A physicist, a mathematician and a computer scientist discuss what is
    better: a wife or a girlfriend.

    Shane, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Shane

    impossible Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Out of curiousity, has anyone come across R, played with it, and have an
    >> opinion on it?
    >>

    > If anyone is interested:
    > After playing with R last night, I found the Appendix A exercises helpful.
    > I am using Minitab for statistics(121) atm, and essentially Appendix A was
    > showing me how to use R as I would minitab, producing various graphs,
    > facts
    > and figures etc. Although R being lot more flexible, and cli orientated.
    > Rattle is sen by some as a GUI for R, but for the moment I am sticking
    > with
    > just R.
    >
    >> Further, how does it stack up against [say] java?

    > Again, if anyone is interested I am looking to compare Weka (Written in
    > Java, also, incidentally, by Waikato University) to R (Written
    > incidentally
    > by Auckland University), or Rattle (Um)

    There's no comparing R and WEKA.

    The R package is one of the best you'll find for doing high-quality data
    modeling and analysis -- it's based on an open-source rendition of S, a
    language that was specifically developed by Bell Labs back in the 1970s to
    facilitate statistical computation. Because support for R among professional
    analysts is so strong, a vast library of purpose-built addons is available
    that can extend R's reach into almost any conceivable domain.

    WEKA, on the other hand, is a more narrowly focused application -- it
    utilizes a Java-based implementation of neural networks and other AI tools
    for purposes of data mining. Since the designers of WEKA have produced an
    interesting book on the subject of data mining, WEKA might be nice tool to
    get to know, but similar tools are also available in R.

    impossible, Aug 24, 2007