Fisheye for Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sid, May 13, 2004.

  1. sid

    sid Guest

    I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new to
    this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is recommenden,
    what to look out for, what to avoid,...

    thanks a lot in advance!
    sid
     
    sid, May 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. sid

    Thad Guest

    sid wrote:

    > I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new to
    > this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is recommenden,


    http://www.adorama.com/NK1628AFD.html

    --

    -Thad L.
     
    Thad, May 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. sid

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    Thad <> wrote:

    > > I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new
    > > to
    > > this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is
    > > recommenden,

    >
    > http://www.adorama.com/NK1628AFD.html


    That is the wrong one... it will distort but it won't give 180 degree
    coverage. The one you need is the Nikkor 10.5mm DX fisheye. At the
    moment that is the *only* lens that will give a fisheye view on a D70.

    Lourens
     
    Lourens Smak, May 13, 2004
    #3
  4. sid

    JM Lobert Guest

    At 2/3 the price of the camera? Ouch....

    How can that possibly give you 180 degree view with a lens hood
    mounted???

    J

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:19:44 +0200, Lourens Smak <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Thad <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new
    >> > to
    >> > this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is
    >> > recommenden,

    >>
    >> http://www.adorama.com/NK1628AFD.html

    >
    >That is the wrong one... it will distort but it won't give 180 degree
    >coverage. The one you need is the Nikkor 10.5mm DX fisheye. At the
    >moment that is the *only* lens that will give a fisheye view on a D70.
    >
    >Lourens



    JP

    (remove second underscore to email)
     
    JM Lobert, May 14, 2004
    #4
  5. I hire the Nikon 14/2.8 lens, a pretty wide angle, with only minimal
    distortion. Not fisheye, but still quite wide.

    Derrick

    "sid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new

    to
    > this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is

    recommenden,
    > what to look out for, what to avoid,...
    >
    > thanks a lot in advance!
    > sid
    >
     
    Surfworx Photography, May 14, 2004
    #5
  6. sid

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    JM Lobert <> wrote:

    > At 2/3 the price of the camera? Ouch....
    >
    > How can that possibly give you 180 degree view with a lens hood
    > mounted???


    there is no lenshood. top and bottom can have a small ridge, because the
    frame is rectangular. The 180deg view is measured diagonally. horizontal
    view is a bit less, vertical is a lot less.

    Draw a cricle (the image circle) and fit a 2:3 rectangle (the frame)
    inside it, corners touching the circle. assuming the circle is the
    180-deg image, you can see what part is captured. top and bottom is
    where the lenshood will be in the image circle, but not in the camera's
    frame.

    Lourens
     
    Lourens Smak, May 14, 2004
    #6
  7. sid

    Lung Fish Guest

    Lung Fish, May 14, 2004
    #7
  8. On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:14:51 -0400, Thad
    <> wrote:

    >sid wrote:
    >
    >> I am planning on buying a fish eye lens for my D70 - since i am pretty new to
    >> this topic, i wanted to ask for your suggestions - which lens is recommenden,

    >
    >http://www.adorama.com/NK1628AFD.html


    They call it that, but it's a long way from being one on a D-70. You
    can go with the 10.5 mm which as far as I know is the only one to give
    180 degree view.

    I purchased the 12 to 24 DX zoom which costs as much as the camera,
    but works great (which is close but does not give 180 degree coverage)
    along with the 24 to 120.

    Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
     
    Roger Halstead, May 15, 2004
    #8
  9. sid

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger Halstead <> wrote:

    > I purchased the 12 to 24 DX zoom which costs as much as the camera,
    > but works great (which is close but does not give 180 degree coverage)


    If you would try a fisheye, you would see it isn't even close as far as
    angle-of-view is concerned, even though 12 or 10.5mm isn't much of a
    difference...

    ;-)
    Lourens (fisheye-fan)
     
    Lourens Smak, May 15, 2004
    #9
  10. On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:54:25 +0200, Lourens Smak <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Roger Halstead <> wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the 12 to 24 DX zoom which costs as much as the camera,
    >> but works great (which is close but does not give 180 degree coverage)

    >
    >If you would try a fisheye, you would see it isn't even close as far as
    >angle-of-view is concerned, even though 12 or 10.5mm isn't much of a
    >difference...
    >


    Depends on what you call close. 12 mm is roughly 120 degrees or a tad
    more. It's close enough for me and a lot handier than the fixed focus
    10.5 mm lens. The true fish-eye lens with 180 degree coverage would
    be nice, but I'd use it maybe 2 or 3 times a year other than the
    original playing to becomes accustomed to the lens.

    Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
    >;-)
    >Lourens (fisheye-fan)
     
    Roger Halstead, May 16, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. peter
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    5,192
    peter
    Jul 11, 2003
  2. Cooter

    Nikon 5700 Fisheye Question

    Cooter, Nov 19, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    384
    Ed Ruf
    Nov 19, 2003
  3. -Gene-

    Nikon 5400 FC-E9 fisheye images

    -Gene-, Nov 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,010
    Ed Ruf
    Dec 10, 2003
  4. greg

    Nikon 12-24 vs Nikon 10.5 fisheye

    greg, Sep 8, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    557
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,429
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page