Fish / thing identification help please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Tim

    Celcius Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    news:UFnBg.112351$...
    > Can someone tell me what this is
    >
    > http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Fish/Fish-1.html
    >
    > Taken in Barbados, and I also saw one in either Antigua or St Lucia I

    can't
    > remember now
    >
    > Sorry the quality's so bad but it was a fair way down
    >
    > TIA for any help
    >
    > Tim

    Tim,

    I'm not sure, but it looks like a lionfish or a dragonfish, both highly
    venemous.

    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 6, 2006

  3. On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:12:52 GMT, Tim wrote:
    > Can someone tell me what this is
    >
    > http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Fish/Fish-1.html
    >
    > Taken in Barbados, and I also saw one in either Antigua or St Lucia I can't
    > remember now
    >
    > Sorry the quality's so bad but it was a fair way down

    Looks like a Flying Gunnard:

    http://www.digideep.com/potw.php?week=200619&id=4137

    Second guess would be a Sea Robin

    Jonesy -- Freediving the Caribbean since 1996
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:12:52 GMT, Tim wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me what this is
    >>
    >> http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Fish/Fish-1.html
    >>
    >> Taken in Barbados, and I also saw one in either Antigua or St Lucia
    >> I can't remember now
    >>
    >> Sorry the quality's so bad but it was a fair way down

    > Looks like a Flying Gunnard:
    >
    > http://www.digideep.com/potw.php?week=200619&id=4137
    >
    > Second guess would be a Sea Robin
    >
    > Jonesy -- Freediving the Caribbean since 1996

    Thanks Marcel & Jonesy

    I think the Flying Gunnard is favorite at the moment, the blunt head and
    wide fins seem to match pretty well
    Cheers

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Tim

    Celcius Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:12:52 GMT, Tim wrote:
    > >> Can someone tell me what this is
    > >>
    > >> http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Fish/Fish-1.html
    > >>
    > >> Taken in Barbados, and I also saw one in either Antigua or St Lucia
    > >> I can't remember now
    > >>
    > >> Sorry the quality's so bad but it was a fair way down

    > > Looks like a Flying Gunnard:
    > >
    > > http://www.digideep.com/potw.php?week=200619&id=4137
    > >
    > > Second guess would be a Sea Robin
    > >
    > > Jonesy -- Freediving the Caribbean since 1996

    > Thanks Marcel & Jonesy
    >
    > I think the Flying Gunnard is favorite at the moment, the blunt head and
    > wide fins seem to match pretty well
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim

    Thanks Tim.
    I've learned about a new fish. In more than 600 dives in the south, I've
    never seen that one.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 6, 2006
  6. Tim

    Jere Lull Guest

    In article <plpBg.112437$>,
    "Tim" <no > wrote:

    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:12:52 GMT, Tim wrote:
    > >> Can someone tell me what this is
    > >>
    > >> http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Fish/Fish-1.html
    > >>
    > >> Taken in Barbados, and I also saw one in either Antigua or St Lucia
    > >> I can't remember now
    > >>
    > >> Sorry the quality's so bad but it was a fair way down

    > > Looks like a Flying Gunnard:
    > >
    > > http://www.digideep.com/potw.php?week=200619&id=4137
    > >
    > > Second guess would be a Sea Robin
    > >
    > > Jonesy -- Freediving the Caribbean since 1996

    > Thanks Marcel & Jonesy
    >
    > I think the Flying Gunnard is favorite at the moment, the blunt head and
    > wide fins seem to match pretty well
    > Cheers

    When I did a Google on "sea robin", I found out it was AKA "flying
    Gunnard".

    --
    Jere Lull

    Jere Lull, Aug 9, 2006
  7. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.travel.caribbean.]
    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 00:37:23 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:
    > In article <plpBg.112437$>,
    > "Tim" <no > wrote:
    >
    >> Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >> > Looks like a Flying Gunnard:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.digideep.com/potw.php?week=200619&id=4137
    >> >
    >> > Second guess would be a Sea Robin
    >> >
    >> > Jonesy -- Freediving the Caribbean since 1996

    >> Thanks Marcel & Jonesy
    >>
    >> I think the Flying Gunnard is favorite at the moment, the blunt head and
    >> wide fins seem to match pretty well

    > When I did a Google on "sea robin", I found out it was AKA "flying
    > Gunnard".

    That's The Wurld Wyde Webb for you....

    Flying Gurnard: Dactylopterus volitans
    Family: Dactylopteridae

    (Bandtail) Searobin: Prionotus ophryas
    Family: Triglidae

    Searobins are more uncommon in the caribbean than Flying Gurnards.

    ( Correcting my earlier spelling screw-up of "Gunnard" (sic.) )
    ( I apoligize. )

    ref: _Reef Fish Identification_ , 3rd ed. , Humann & Deloach

    Finally, this page speaks to the physical differences between the two:

    http://www.gma.org/fogm/Dactylopterus_volitans.htm

    But, then, that's The Wurld Wyde Webb once again.... :)

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 9, 2006