First Trip With Canon 20D Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fyimo, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Fyimo

    Fyimo Guest

    I'm leaving next week for a two-week trip to Costa Rica. I got my 20D
    for Christmas and I have taken just over 800 pictures shaking it down
    and getting use to it.

    Lens kit choices

    (1) The lens kit I'm thinking of taking is the 17-40mm f4, 70-200mm f4,
    and the 300mm f4 IS. The only other lens I'm thinking of taking is the
    50mm f1.8 for low light shots indoors without flash. The 300mm f4 IS is
    going to be used for birds and other wildlife.

    (2) My wife will have her Canon G6 and I could let her do all the
    wide-angle stuff. Then I could leave the 17-40mm f4 home and take
    either a 28-70mm f2.8 or 28-135mm IS lens. I'd probably prefer the
    28-135mm IS lens. It's slower but with IS and the ability to increase
    ISO speeds it would work in most situations.

    I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
    memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
    old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
    review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
    the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
    cameras and photographers.

    Which lens kit and how much storage do you think would work best. Also
    is the laptop a luxury or a real necessity.

    Thanks,
    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Fyimo" <> wrote:
    >
    > I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
    > memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
    > old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
    > review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
    > the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
    > cameras and photographers.


    I just bought the Epson P-2000. For RAW, it only shows you a VGA image, but
    that's enough to at least see what's going on. It's a tad sluggish in
    thumbnail display. The earlier ones only had USB 1.1, but the P-2000 has USB
    2.0 and a nice display. I find that high contrast images that can be rescued
    quite easily in Photoshop really lose it on the P-2000 (the dark section go
    completely black) but other than that, it's fine.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml

    It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook PC,
    and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot RAW
    all the time.

    > Which lens kit and how much storage do you think would work best. Also
    > is the laptop a luxury or a real necessity.


    The 17-40's such a great lens, it would be a shame not to take it. If you
    feel like spending real money, how about the 24/1.4 for interior low-light
    shots? An f/1.4 lens really leverages the sensitivity of a dSLRs sensor to
    the point of being flipping amazing.

    Also, I'd recommend getting a couple or three 2GB cards. They're getting
    cheap enough that it's really worth it. I love being able to shoot a whole
    day on one card.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fyimo

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:49:27 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <>
    wrote:

    >
    > "Fyimo" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
    > > memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
    > > old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
    > > review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
    > > the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
    > > cameras and photographers.

    >
    > I just bought the Epson P-2000. For RAW, it only shows you a VGA image, but
    > that's enough to at least see what's going on. It's a tad sluggish in
    > thumbnail display. The earlier ones only had USB 1.1, but the P-2000 has USB
    > 2.0 and a nice display. I find that high contrast images that can be rescued
    > quite easily in Photoshop really lose it on the P-2000 (the dark section go
    > completely black) but other than that, it's fine.
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml
    >
    > It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook PC,
    > and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot RAW
    > all the time.


    For that sort of money, I would prefer to buy a second hand laptop and put a
    bigger hard drive in it. Much more useful.
    Ken Oaf, Jan 10, 2005
    #3
  4. "Ken Oaf" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml
    > >
    > > It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook

    PC,
    > > and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot

    RAW
    > > all the time.

    >
    > For that sort of money, I would prefer to buy a second hand laptop and put

    a
    > bigger hard drive in it. Much more useful.


    I definitely agree about the much more useful bit: on a trip one often has
    spare time in the evenings and using that to work on one's images would be
    great.

    But I find that between clothes and cameras and a tripod, a PC often isn't
    an option.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 10, 2005
    #4
  5. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >
    > Also, I'd recommend getting a couple or three 2GB cards. They're

    getting
    > cheap enough that it's really worth it. I love being able to shoot a

    whole
    > day on one card.


    Yep, those 1/2GB cards are cheap enough to take multiples of them to a
    trip.

    I bought a Vosonic VP300 MP3 player (USB 2.0) without a HDD for $85. It
    can also read all sorts of flash cards. Then I added a used 30GB laptop
    disk to it that I bought for ~$50. So now, I have 30GB of portable
    storage with card reader and Mp3 player, all for $135 :) As a bonus,
    the sound quality is awesome as I found out comparing it to an iPod
    mini.

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Jan 10, 2005
    #5
  6. Fyimo wrote:
    > ....I got my 20D for Christmas ....
    > ....My wife will have her Canon G6....


    Be careful if you swap CF cards between cameras. (below was true of
    earlier Canon DSLRs and G-series cameras):

    If you insert a CF card last used on the 20D (and not re-formatted) into
    the G6, the G6 will start numbering images the higher of (1) the last G6
    image or (2) the last 20D image. The same may be true if you insert
    into the 20D a CF card from the G6. Be sure to format before using.

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Jan 10, 2005
    #6
  7. Fyimo

    Fyimo Guest

    Thanks, I was very negligent of this when I first started and I
    actually think I experienced problems. I now reformat the cards every
    time I off load them. I format them in the camera that they will be
    going in.
    I'm not sure but I think this can even be a problem between the 10D and
    the 20D. I say this because I had about 500 images on the 10D when I
    bought the 20D. I've had the 20D for 3 weeks and I have been to the
    state park 3 times plus I shot a lot of pictures when my daughter and
    grandkids were here. However, I can't account for all 800 pictures and
    I think I put a card from the 10D into the 20D and I think it stated
    counting at 500 + at some point. I'm not sure because I rigorously
    delete all but the best pictures and I would have to review all the
    master images and the data captured with them to see what camera they
    were shot in.

    Art.
    Fyimo, Jan 10, 2005
    #7
  8. Fyimo

    Fyimo Guest

    I've decided to take the laptop for the additional storage and it will
    let me review the images for deletion before saving to the hard drive.
    I think before my next trip I will either get a photo viewer with 40
    Gig hard drive like the Espon 2000 or a CD rom backup burner.
    That said, I can't wait to leave and try to fill all those memory cards
    and the hard drive with images.

    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 10, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    530
    DVD Verdict
    Apr 11, 2006
  2. Mr.Will
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    670
    MMMavocado
    Dec 4, 2004
  3. Celtic Boar

    20D's first field trip. First Snake of Spring

    Celtic Boar, Apr 10, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    306
    Celtic Boar
    Apr 10, 2005
  4. Replies:
    11
    Views:
    564
  5. Necronomicon

    My Trip to Egypt (Canon 40D Rocks!)

    Necronomicon, Jan 8, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    294
    Necronomicon
    Jan 8, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page