First SLR questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TimB, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. TimB

    TimB Guest

    Hi,

    Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    totally lost when it comes to lens talk.

    I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    like me! A few pointers I'd appreciate from you more experienced folk
    though:

    Most of my photos are of people, taken in nightclubs and pub type
    venues (i.e. dark environments but with lots of bright spotlights
    flying around) Is there a particular lens type that I should be
    looking for for this type of shot? (I'll also be taking outdoor shots
    of buildings etc, but presumably the supplied lens will suffice for
    this)

    As far as the camera itself goes, does anyone have any pointers/issues
    I should be aware of? My budget is fairly limited, so suggestions of
    alternative models are probably wasted unless they're fairly close to
    this one price-wise.

    Thanks for any help you can offer!

    Tim
    --
    http://www.stokefolk.com

    TimB, Jul 19, 2004

  2. TimB

    Rick Guest

    "TimB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    > cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    > totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    >
    > I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    > I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    > wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    > like me! A few pointers I'd appreciate from you more experienced folk
    > though:
    >
    > Most of my photos are of people, taken in nightclubs and pub type
    > venues (i.e. dark environments but with lots of bright spotlights
    > flying around) Is there a particular lens type that I should be
    > looking for for this type of shot? (I'll also be taking outdoor shots
    > of buildings etc, but presumably the supplied lens will suffice for
    > this)
    >
    > As far as the camera itself goes, does anyone have any pointers/issues
    > I should be aware of? My budget is fairly limited, so suggestions of
    > alternative models are probably wasted unless they're fairly close to
    > this one price-wise.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer!
    >
    > Tim
    > --

    Tim, you're going to want a lens that's going to open as wide as possible;
    so you don't have to use flash too often. A lens that has a maximum aperture
    of 2.8 or so would be helpful.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 19, 2004

  3. TimB

    adm Guest

    "TimB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    > cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    > totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    >
    > I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    > I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    > wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    > like me! A few pointers I'd appreciate from you more experienced folk
    > though:
    >
    > Most of my photos are of people, taken in nightclubs and pub type
    > venues (i.e. dark environments but with lots of bright spotlights
    > flying around) Is there a particular lens type that I should be
    > looking for for this type of shot? (I'll also be taking outdoor shots
    > of buildings etc, but presumably the supplied lens will suffice for
    > this)
    >
    > As far as the camera itself goes, does anyone have any pointers/issues
    > I should be aware of? My budget is fairly limited, so suggestions of
    > alternative models are probably wasted unless they're fairly close to
    > this one price-wise.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer!
    >
    > Tim
    > --
    > http://www.stokefolk.com

    Sounds like a good choice. I have a Nikon D70 (which is similar in spec and
    price and is the Nikon entry level digitalSLR). I also have a Nikkor 85mm AF
    f1.8 lens, which is excellent for taking pictures in pubs and clubs. 85 mm
    means there's a bit of magnification to it so you stand a bit further away
    from the stage or whatever, and the f1.8 aperture means it works well in low
    light. I got the lens for a good price on ebay.

    adm, Jul 19, 2004
  4. TimB

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    TimB <> wrote:

    >Most of my photos are of people, taken in nightclubs and pub type
    >venues (i.e. dark environments but with lots of bright spotlights
    >flying around) Is there a particular lens type that I should be
    >looking for for this type of shot?

    Something with lots of light-gathering ability (i.e. a large aperture). The
    50mm f/1.4 is a nice short-telephoto lens for this sort of work. The 50mm
    f/1.8 is a lot cheaper, but half a stop slower, which may matter if you want
    to squeeze every last bit of light out of a scene.

    Chris Brown, Jul 19, 2004
  5. TimB

    Alan D Guest

    Start out with the kit lens and see how that performs for you. It is a good
    lens and relatively inexpensive. For some of the darker shots since the kit
    lens is not that fast, you may need to up the ISO speed to avoid having to
    use a tripod. Once you see how that does, then you could consider
    purchasing faster lenses which are more expensive. You may not need it.

    I just got a 300D a month ago and really have enjoyed that camera. In
    addition to the kit lens, I bought the 55-200mm and 75-300mm USM lenses.
    There were relatively inexpensive lens and have given me what I need.
    www.bhphotovideo.com had the better prices on lenses than I could get
    elsewhere online or local. For the 300D, I found that www.newegg.com had
    the best price, free 3-4 day FedEx saver shipping, and a reputable company.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 19, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    _uce_please.com says...
    > Something with lots of light-gathering ability (i.e. a large aperture). The
    > 50mm f/1.4 is a nice short-telephoto lens for this sort of work. The 50mm
    > f/1.8 is a lot cheaper, but half a stop slower, which may matter if you want
    > to squeeze every last bit of light out of a scene.

    The 1.4 also focuses much, much faster than the 1.8. Helpful around
    moving subjects.

    Brian C. Baird, Jul 19, 2004
  7. (TimB) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    > cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    > totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    >
    > I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    > I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    > wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    > like me!

    The 10.3MP Sigma SD9 is roughly half the cost...

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/
    http://www.pbase.com/image/14134821/original
    http://www.pbase.com/image/16874900/original
    http://www.pbase.com/image/29811758/original

    George Preddy, Jul 24, 2004
  8. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > The 10.3MP Sigma SD9 is roughly half the cost...

    And way less than half the quality...

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 24, 2004
  9. On 23 Jul 2004 20:14:08 -0700, (George Preddy)
    wrote:

    > (TimB) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    >> cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    >> totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    >>
    >> I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    >> I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    >> wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    >> like me!

    >The 10.3MP Sigma SD9 is roughly half the cost...

    Only because it's discontinued.

    Thought about having that cranium removed from your rectum yet.

    GK

    grant kinsley, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Randall Ainsworth <> wrote in message news:<230720042230152066%>...
    > In article <>, George
    > Preddy <> wrote:
    >
    > > The 10.3MP Sigma SD9 is roughly half the cost...

    > And way less than half the quality...

    Foveon is better than Leaf in the $15,000 to 20,000 range. Canon,
    Nikon, Fuji, and Kodakk are not competitive in this class, nor do they
    try to be. E.g...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/31155134/original

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 24, 2004
  11. grant kinsley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 23 Jul 2004 20:14:08 -0700, (George Preddy)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > (TimB) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    > >> cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    > >> totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    > >>
    > >> I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.
    > >> I've got my eye on the Canon EOS 300D, since it seems to be the most
    > >> wallet-friendly, and seems to be marketed at the beginning enthusiast
    > >> like me!

    > >The 10.3MP Sigma SD9 is roughly half the cost...

    > Only because it's discontinued.

    They have mostly sold out, but you can still find new and used ones
    here and there. The SD10 is a better overall camera since it has
    microlenses, though not quite as good as the SD9 at ISO 100. The SD18
    (guessing at the name based on the MP count) will revolutionize
    digital photography again, just like the SD9 did.

    > >http://www.sigmaphoto.com/
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/14134821/original
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/16874900/original
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/29811758/original

    WOW!!!

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 24, 2004
  12. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > They have mostly sold out, but you can still find new and used ones
    > here and there. The SD10 is a better overall camera since it has
    > microlenses, though not quite as good as the SD9 at ISO 100. The SD18
    > (guessing at the name based on the MP count) will revolutionize
    > digital photography again, just like the SD9 did.

    Oh, they have a new model coming out with crappy color rendition,
    mediocre construction, & more proprietary hardware?

    I'll give up my 10D when they pry my dead, cold fingers from around it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 25, 2004
  13. Randall Ainsworth <> wrote in message news:<240720041927088333%>...
    > In article <>, Georgette
    > Preddy <> wrote:
    >
    > > They have mostly sold out, but you can still find new and used ones
    > > here and there. The SD10 is a better overall camera since it has
    > > microlenses, though not quite as good as the SD9 at ISO 100. The SD18
    > > (guessing at the name based on the MP count) will revolutionize
    > > digital photography again, just like the SD9 did.

    > Oh, they have a new model coming out with crappy color rendition,

    The 10D has the worst image quality of the current DSLRs, save the
    300D which is only slightly worse.

    > mediocre construction, & more proprietary hardware?

    What do you call Canon mounts, universal?

    > I'll give up my 10D when they pry my dead, cold fingers from around it.

    There's no accounting for bad taste.

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 25, 2004

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 25, 2004
  15. >Apologies if my questions seem a little basic - I'm fairly new to
    >cameras in general, and my experience has all been compact, so I'm
    >totally lost when it comes to lens talk.
    >
    >I'm considering my first digital SLR after a few years of compacts.

    It seems that in the market SLR is equivalent to "exchangeable lens" (which
    is not a relation imposed by technology).

    Are you sure you want a DSLR ? (IMHO at the moment the D70 offers the best
    performance for a moderate price.)

    Of course they have great advantages (image quality, choice of lenses,
    shutter delay ...). But there re major drawbacks: price, size, weight,
    danger of getting dust on the sensor... As there are up to 12 times optical
    zoom cameras now, you might want to reconsider.

    BTW.: I need to do the maintenance of DSLRs, as my wife is a pro <g>.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Jul 25, 2004
  16. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > The 10D has the worst image quality of the current DSLRs, save the
    > 300D which is only slightly worse.

    Sez you. But we've yet to see that you have any understanding of
    photography. My 10D will still smoke your Sigma...any subject matter,
    any lighting conditions.

    > What do you call Canon mounts, universal?

    At least I can buy lenses from people other than Canon if I wanted to.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 25, 2004
  17. On 19 Jul 2004 08:27:57 -0700, (TimB) wrote:

    >Hi,

    Hi, firstly I agree with others... you need a lense that can gather a
    lot of light, the smaller the [f] number the more light it lets in. So
    a 50mm 1.4 is a good "cheapish" lense.

    The other thing is dont be affraid to push the iso... even all the way
    up to 1600, while at 1600 you do get a lot of noise, there are some
    plug ins to packages (such as neat image) that will "remove" the noise
    with not to much screwing of the rest of the content of the picture...
    but some find it to create to "plasticy" looking shots.

    There are possibly 2 disadvantages of the 50mm f1.4,

    (1) being fixed means that you will need to move yourself to fill the
    frame with the subject, or you will need to crop it after the event,
    or if you are to close then you may not be able to get a good fill of
    the subject and find that it feels as tho it is always missing bits
    out.

    (2) at f1.4 you may find that the DOF is to shallow so if you close
    the apature down (go to f2 f4 f11 etc..) then the light gathering
    advantage of f1.4 is lost.

    I find that for a good few situations f3.5-f4.8 "does" then I push the
    raw file by upto 2 stops in the decoding stage on the PC.

    I also tend to drop to about 1/50 to 1/40th second on the shutter,
    unless its a rock band as they can move supprisingly quickly and
    motion blur looks like soft/bad focusing.

    I dont have a problem with "noise" in my shots, to be honest it tends
    to be no worse and often better than with an equivilent ISO film... I
    guess people have just got so used to the smooth and soft feel of
    digitial in perfect conditions, so going out side that well lit
    environment they feel noise should still not exist, yet dont mind the
    shots going "brown" as a lot of P&S's and low end digitals end up
    doing.

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com

    Jonathan Wilson, Aug 6, 2004
  18. Randall Ainsworth <> wrote in message news:<250720040749092219%>...
    > In article <>, Georgette
    > Preddy <> wrote:
    >
    > > The 10D has the worst image quality of the current DSLRs, save the
    > > 300D which is only slightly worse.

    Here is a good link showing that...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/32014486/original

    > > What do you call Canon mounts, universal?

    > At least I can buy lenses from people other than Canon if I wanted to.

    And you'll definitely want to. Canon lenses have long had a
    reputation among pros for good performance, but terribly low value.
    The worst by a mile.

    George Preddy, Aug 7, 2004
  19. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > And you'll definitely want to. Canon lenses have long had a
    > reputation among pros for good performance, but terribly low value.
    > The worst by a mile.

    And the bullshit continues to flow...

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 8, 2004