    real security .. a good attack in a court of law. Who can do this?
    And, why aren't they doing it? I'll begin with them !

    johns

    johns, Nov 19, 2003

  2. In article <bpgkac$f1r$>,
    says...
    > I've been in this business for 30 years, and I'm finally fed up
    > with the bullshit. I've been all over the web .. CISCO, MS,
    > on and on and on ... trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    > EXACT source of email. It does not exist, and there is no
    > excuse for that. There is no way on earth that some hacker-
    > child can "spoof" an address that SOMEBODY knew what it
    > previously was, and could responsibly trace it. I've used every
    > blocking tool there is, and it is a nuisance .. expensive .. always
    > too late .. and easy to bypass. Now, I want the name of the
    > little bastard who sent the piece of crap to me so I can sue
    > his mommy and daddy back to the stone age. That is the only
    > real security .. a good attack in a court of law. Who can do this?
    > And, why aren't they doing it? I'll begin with them !
    >
    > johns

    you're either an ignorant troll or your 30 years "in this business" has
    been a waste of time, cause you're as dumb about "this bullshit" as a
    bag of mortar mix.

    first, emails can be spoofed, spoofed 100%. second, they can come from a
    remailer and you'll NEVER find the originator. NEVER. Remailers are 100%
    anonymous.

    second, if you want our help, post the headers from the email.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Nov 19, 2003

  3. johns

    Mailman Guest

    johns wrote:

    > I've been in this business for 30 years, and I'm finally fed up
    > with the bullshit. I've been all over the web .. CISCO, MS,
    > on and on and on ... trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    > EXACT source of email. It does not exist, and there is no
    > excuse for that. There is no way on earth that some hacker-
    > child can "spoof" an address that SOMEBODY knew what it
    > previously was, and could responsibly trace it. I've used every
    > blocking tool there is, and it is a nuisance .. expensive .. always
    > too late .. and easy to bypass. Now, I want the name of the
    > little bastard who sent the piece of crap to me so I can sue
    > his mommy and daddy back to the stone age. That is the only
    > real security .. a good attack in a court of law. Who can do this?
    > And, why aren't they doing it? I'll begin with them !
    >
    > johns

    Amazing - 30 years in the business and you still don't know that a messgae
    can be completely spoofed, and if sent via a remailer also completely
    anonymous? Have you got a pointy hairdo?

    Post the FULL headers and we could try to help you. Toning down your
    language would also be helpful.
    --
    Mailman

    Mailman, Nov 19, 2003
  4. johns Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <bpgkac$f1r$>:

    > I've been in this business for 30 years, and I'm finally fed up
    > with the bullshit. I've been all over the web .. CISCO, MS,
    > on and on and on ... trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    > EXACT source of email. It does not exist, and there is no
    > excuse for that. There is no way on earth that some hacker-
    > child can "spoof" an address that SOMEBODY knew what it
    > previously was, and could responsibly trace it. I've used every
    > blocking tool there is, and it is a nuisance .. expensive .. always
    > too late .. and easy to bypass. Now, I want the name of the
    > little bastard who sent the piece of crap to me so I can sue
    > his mommy and daddy back to the stone age. That is the only
    > real security .. a good attack in a court of law. Who can do this?
    > And, why aren't they doing it? I'll begin with them !

    1) calm down please
    2) we need to see the headers to get more information. You can take
    out your real e-mail addy if you like...

    So, what exactly happened?

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 20, 2003
  5. johns

    Dazz Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:41:43 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >first, emails can be spoofed, spoofed 100%. second, they can come from a
    >remailer and you'll NEVER find the originator. NEVER. Remailers are 100%
    >anonymous.

    100% anonymous?

    I disagree (to a smallish degree).

    There have been a couple of cases where admins of "anonymous
    remailers" have handed over information to authorities.

    For instance, anon.penet.fi was raided by Finnish police - twice, in
    1995 and in 1996.

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/cos/rnewman/anon/penet.html

    Of course, there are some anonymous services that do offer a greater
    increase of anonymity (using encryption, chaining etc etc), but it
    would be interesting to see what happens when they are also faced with
    a jail sentence. :-(

    Dazz

    Dazz, Nov 20, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:41:43 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > >first, emails can be spoofed, spoofed 100%. second, they can come from a
    > >remailer and you'll NEVER find the originator. NEVER. Remailers are 100%
    > >anonymous.

    > 100% anonymous?
    >
    > I disagree (to a smallish degree).

    and I will change what I said...

    "...Remailers are 100% anonymous."

    should have said:

    "...Properly chained remailers are 100% anonymous.."

    my bad.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Nov 20, 2003
  7. johns

    Dazz Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:54:54 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >and I will change what I said...
    >
    >"...Remailers are 100% anonymous."
    >
    >should have said:
    >
    >"...Properly chained remailers are 100% anonymous.."
    >
    >my bad.

    lol.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Nov 20, 2003
  8. johns

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:37:26 -0800, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    >I've been in this business for 30 years, and I'm finally fed up
    >with the bullshit. I've been all over the web .. CISCO, MS,
    >on and on and on ... trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    >EXACT source of email.

    You've been in this business for 30 years and haven't learned how to
    trace an e-mail? Are you retarded? The best "tool" to trace an email
    is your own experienced mind.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 20, 2003
  9. johns

    johns Guest

    > second, if you want our help, post the headers from the email.

    I can give you about 10,000 from Postini. You'll never trace
    them because the tool does not exist .. KID!

    johns

    johns, Nov 20, 2003
  10. johns

    johns Guest

    > would be interesting to see what happens when they are also faced with
    > a jail sentence. :-(

    Amen! Thanks for the link. I'm going to put somebody in
    prison !

    johns

    johns, Nov 20, 2003
  11. johns

    johns Guest

    > Post the FULL headers and we could try to help you. Toning down your
    > language would also be helpful.

    No you can't, and I'm not kidding. I'm going after somebody
    just to get it started at my level. This is costing us billions of
    dollars, and so far, I have found only one way that works
    .... geographical ( statistical profiling ) of the sources. I think
    I can get their borders blocked in the same way that radio
    stations go after rogue broadcasters. All I need is the tool
    that works once I get close enough. And right now, I want
    to know who has that tool, and the legal issues involved.

    johns

    johns, Nov 20, 2003
  12. johns

    johns Guest

    "> 1) calm down please
    > 2) we need to see the headers to get more information. You can take
    > out your real e-mail addy if you like...
    >
    > So, what exactly happened?

    No way. It is time to get mad. We need "signed" packets,
    and legally enforced allowable code running on the net.
    It is time to stop the crap and save a ton of money.
    An unsigned packet on the net should not be allowed
    or passed by hardware alone. It is time to kick some
    butts, and I am determined to find a way. What
    happened? I have 1200 users on my lan !!!! That
    is what is happening every day, and I'm going to
    do something about it.

    johns

    johns, Nov 20, 2003
  13. [ Doc Jeff ] Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <>:

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:37:26 -0800, "johns" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been in this business for 30 years, and I'm finally fed up
    >>with the bullshit. I've been all over the web .. CISCO, MS,
    >>on and on and on ... trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    >>EXACT source of email.

    > You've been in this business for 30 years and haven't learned how to
    > trace an e-mail? Are you retarded? The best "tool" to trace an
    > email is your own experienced mind.

    I'm under the expression he wants to bitch, moan and cuss. As a
    result, trying to help him is worthless, IMO...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 20, 2003
  14. johns

    johns Guest

    > You've been in this business for 30 years and haven't learned how to
    > trace an e-mail? Are you retarded? The best "tool" to trace an email
    > is your own experienced mind.

    Bull ... another child in the presence of adults. I'm looking
    for someone who has done this, and got past the wall of
    silence that that we invariably hit. I'm getting tired of this
    crap too. Prove it, jerk. Give me the actual physical address
    of even one of these "Patch" spammers. I'll post back with
    the ongoing lawsuit, and how much money I make. I'll give
    all of that money to the next guy who wants to have a go
    at the same thing. Or, better, I need a network legal
    beagle ambulance chaser looking to get rich. I'll give him
    every cent we make from the lawsuit, and provide free
    network and computer support to him.

    johns

    johns, Nov 21, 2003
  15. johns

    Dazz Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:31:01 -0800, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    >> would be interesting to see what happens when they are also faced with
    >> a jail sentence. :-(

    >Amen! Thanks for the link. I'm going to put somebody in
    >prison !

    Well, if you do, the least you could do for them is buy them a soap on
    the rope.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Nov 21, 2003
  16. johns

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:01:14 -0800, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    >> You've been in this business for 30 years and haven't learned how to
    >> trace an e-mail? Are you retarded? The best "tool" to trace an email
    >> is your own experienced mind.

    >Bull ... another child in the presence of adults. I'm looking
    >for someone who has done this, and got past the wall of
    >silence that that we invariably hit. I'm getting tired of this
    >crap too. Prove it, jerk. Give me the actual physical address
    >of even one of these "Patch" spammers. I'll post back with
    >the ongoing lawsuit, and how much money I make. I'll give
    >all of that money to the next guy who wants to have a go
    >at the same thing. Or, better, I need a network legal
    >beagle ambulance chaser looking to get rich. I'll give him
    >every cent we make from the lawsuit, and provide free
    >network and computer support to him.
    >
    >johns

    The origin of many emails can be traced by reading the headers
    however there is no 'sure fire' method' of doing this automatically
    nor can the origin of all emails be established correctly.

    I note that I receive some junkmail with my address and another
    name.

    There is some useful software at: http://www.samspade.org/
    which tried to do this and has a lot of good features.

    They announce they are moving servers today, so if it does
    not work, try later.

    AOL have sued spammers successfully and it has not deterred
    them, instead of making lawyers rich, direct action might
    lower everyones junkmail

    If, however, you want the help of the group who are quite
    good at reading headers, and are not impressed by noisy newcomers
    to computing you had better post them and stop ranting.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 21, 2003
  17. johns

    Guest

    "johns" <> wrote in message news:<bpgkac$f1r$>...
    > trying to locate a tool that will trace the
    > EXACT source of email.

    Tracing the source assumes that the path is littered in clues.
    Because of the very accepting nature of the email system, the clue
    trail can stop halfway back without ever indicating the location of
    the source. I don't know about you, I've only worked in this business
    for 25 years, but I don't know of a tool to pick up a non-existent
    trail.

    Bottom line, email can be spoofed using the current system with its
    current configuration. Until the configuration is changed and
    auditing or logging is implemented, spoof emails will continue.

    You can, however, go after the last traceable host and air your
    concerns with them. They are, after all, supporting the spammer by
    hiding (or helping to hide) his or her location or identity, they are
    not without some responsibility.

    , Nov 21, 2003
  18. johns

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, Nov 21, 2003
  19. "johns" <> wrote in message

    > > You've been in this business for 30 years and haven't learned how to
    > > trace an e-mail? Are you retarded? The best "tool" to trace an email
    > > is your own experienced mind.

    > Bull ... another child in the presence of adults. I'm looking
    > for someone who has done this, and got past the wall of
    > silence that that we invariably hit. I'm getting tired of this
    > crap too. Prove it, jerk. Give me the actual physical address
    > of even one of these "Patch" spammers. I'll post back with
    > the ongoing lawsuit, and how much money I make. I'll give
    > all of that money to the next guy who wants to have a go
    > at the same thing. Or, better, I need a network legal
    > beagle ambulance chaser looking to get rich. I'll give him
    > every cent we make from the lawsuit, and provide free
    > network and computer support to him.

    Yawn. Either read the RFC (easy for anyone that's been in the business that
    long), or simply follow these (simple) instructions:

    http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html

    The remailer comment still stands, though.

    Incidentally, the "patch spammer" comment sounds like a bit of confusion
    between spam and an email virus..?

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!