first notebook purchase

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Joe Black, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Joe Black

    Joe Black Guest

    I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.

    I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
    mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.

    Currently considering:
    Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    DVD Writer

    and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    DVD Writer

    both available from Dick Smith.

    Which would be the faster machine?
    Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

    Thanks - Joe

    Joe Black, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Joe Black

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Joe Black" <> wrote in message
    >I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >
    > I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
    > mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >
    > Currently considering:
    > Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    > Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    > 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    > AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    > 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > both available from Dick Smith.
    >
    > Which would be the faster machine?
    > Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
    >
    > Thanks - Joe

    I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
    harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
    it might pay to check out there website

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Joe Black

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Joe Black wrote:
    > I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >
    > I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
    > ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >
    > Currently considering:
    > Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    > Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    > 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    > AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    > 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > both available from Dick Smith.
    >
    > Which would be the faster machine?

    Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
    years down the track, I don't know about Acers.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Joe Black

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Joe Black wrote:
    >> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >>
    >> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
    >> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> Currently considering:
    >> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    >> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    >> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    >> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    >> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> both available from Dick Smith.
    >>
    >> Which would be the faster machine?

    > Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
    > years down the track, I don't know about Acers.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    i bought a laptop with the thinking ok, i doubt she would need this laptop
    in 3yrs plus i bet in 3yrs time they will have a better one no doubt which
    she can upgrade 2

    Krazy Bob, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Joe Black

    SNOman Guest

    Joe Black wrote:
    > I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >
    > I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
    > mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >
    > Currently considering:
    > Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    > Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    > 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    > AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    > 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    > 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    > DVD Writer
    >
    > both available from Dick Smith.
    >
    > Which would be the faster machine?
    > Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
    >
    > Thanks - Joe

    You can also get an HP NX6125 for a similar price
    AMD Turion 64 ML-30
    512Mb RAM
    60Gb HDD
    etc
    etc

    SNOman, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Joe Black

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:00 +1300, "Joe Black" <> wrote:

    >Which would be the faster machine?
    >Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

    Check out Dell's www site. Although their service isn't that great unless you
    speak indian, their machines are pretty good and the prices are good.

    Craig Shore, Jan 20, 2006
  7. Joe Black

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Joe Black wrote:
    >> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >>
    >> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
    >> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> Currently considering:
    >> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    >> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    >> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    >> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    >> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> both available from Dick Smith.
    >>
    >> Which would be the faster machine?

    > Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
    > years down the track, I don't know about Acers.

    But that only says that Acers 8-9 years ago were crap (they were), and
    Toshibas weren't (mostly true. I still have a T2000SXe, which is even
    older).

    However, Acer has lifted their game considerably and their current kit
    seems OK, whereas I'm certain Toshiba's reliability has to be judged on
    a model by model basis - like almost all tech gear these days.

    For example, a friend of mine has a 3 year old Toshiba which has has 1x
    M/B, 3x HDDs, 2x keyboards replaced (all but the last keyboard and HDD
    under warranty ) but that is a Satellite Pro 6100 - there is a class
    action underway in the US about the shocking reliability of that
    particular model. The Tecra 8100 and about a dozen other models were the
    subject of a successful class action earlier. It isn't as if the Tecra
    8100 was ever a budget system, either.

    So you can't say Toshibas are good; some are, some aren't.

    An organisation I belong to has a DSE sourced $900 Acer, it seems
    absolutely fine. So far. It would be a far better deal, for example,
    than the kind of crap Turners is selling, for not a lot less.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Joe Black

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Joe Black wrote:
    >>> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook
    >>> computer. I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least
    >>> 512 MB
    >>> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >>>
    >>> Currently considering:
    >>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    >>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    >>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    >>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    >>> DVD Writer
    >>>
    >>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    >>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    >>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    >>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    >>> DVD Writer
    >>>
    >>> both available from Dick Smith.
    >>>
    >>> Which would be the faster machine?

    >> Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running
    >> 8-9 years down the track, I don't know about Acers.

    > But that only says that Acers 8-9 years ago were crap (they were), and
    > Toshibas weren't (mostly true. I still have a T2000SXe, which is even
    > older).
    >
    > However, Acer has lifted their game considerably and their current kit
    > seems OK, whereas I'm certain Toshiba's reliability has to be judged
    > on a model by model basis - like almost all tech gear these days.
    >
    > For example, a friend of mine has a 3 year old Toshiba which has has
    > 1x M/B, 3x HDDs, 2x keyboards replaced (all but the last keyboard and
    > HDD under warranty ) but that is a Satellite Pro 6100 - there is a
    > class action underway in the US about the shocking reliability of that
    > particular model. The Tecra 8100 and about a dozen other models were
    > the subject of a successful class action earlier. It isn't as if the
    > Tecra 8100 was ever a budget system, either.
    >
    > So you can't say Toshibas are good; some are, some aren't.
    >
    > An organisation I belong to has a DSE sourced $900 Acer, it seems
    > absolutely fine. So far. It would be a far better deal, for example,
    > than the kind of crap Turners is selling, for not a lot less.

    Interesting to hear, thanks.

    BTW, I didn't actually say current Tosh's are good, I wouldn't go that far
    as I don't have experience with them. It was probably implied in my reply
    though. The only real experience I've had with lappies is being given a
    bunch of Tosh's that were bought at auction to assess, repair where I could,
    and sell for a split of the profits. They were Pentiums, 150, 166 and
    200MHz, about three-four years ago. They were mostly good and I learned a
    bit about swapping parts around with them etc.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2006
  9. "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe Black" <> wrote in message
    >>I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >>
    >> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
    >> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> Currently considering:
    >> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    >> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    >> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    >> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    >> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    >> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    >> DVD Writer
    >>
    >> both available from Dick Smith.
    >>
    >> Which would be the faster machine?
    >> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
    >>
    >> Thanks - Joe
    >>

    > I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
    > harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
    > it might pay to check out there website
    >
    > KB

    hmm, what model did you buy? i like the z60m and z60t

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Joe Black

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe Black" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
    >>>
    >>> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
    >>> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
    >>>
    >>> Currently considering:
    >>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
    >>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
    >>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
    >>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
    >>> DVD Writer
    >>>
    >>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
    >>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
    >>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
    >>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
    >>> DVD Writer
    >>>
    >>> both available from Dick Smith.
    >>>
    >>> Which would be the faster machine?
    >>> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks - Joe
    >>>

    >> I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
    >> harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
    >> it might pay to check out there website
    >>
    >> KB
    >>

    > hmm, what model did you buy? i like the z60m and z60t

    i honestly don't even know of the model number my self :-s

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 21, 2006
  11. Joe Black

    Geoff M Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:40:24 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:00 +1300, "Joe Black" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Which would be the faster machine?
    >>Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

    > Check out Dell's www site. Although their service isn't that great unless you
    > speak indian, their machines are pretty good and the prices are good.

    DON"T BUY DELL. Let me tell you about my 5150. It took 7 weeks to arrive,
    and in the end I had to collect it from the courier office so I would have
    it when I left for Uni in Christchurch the next day.
    Within the next 10 months, it had
    - new power supply
    - new DVD drive
    - new case top
    - new keyboard
    - new motherboard (twice)
    The tech support is non-existent and useless. Hard to understand, and if
    your problem isn't on their script tree, they can't help. They never
    returned calls when we were trying to find when it would arrive, and just
    got passed around. A typical call would take 1-1.5 hours and get nowhere.
    There is no local support.
    The DVD drive replaced a year prior, no longer writes DVDs over 80% full
    without errors. A new one is $350 and takes 3 weeks to arrive from order. I
    would take them to the Disputes Tribunal under the Consumer Guarantees Act
    except it would cost me more in lost time than the cost of a drive, and I
    could only do it if I could find somewhere to lodge the summons. I could
    think of a place, but there might be children reading... The companies
    office lists the address as a lawyers office
    Once it is out of warranty, they will not answer emails or faxes from you.
    I have an external drive I am using, adn it reads DVDs and writes CDs ok on
    the laptop drive, so fixing it isn't a priority for funds at present. I
    have cost Dell more than the cost of a drive in lost sales thus far,
    although I doubt they care. Google for "Dell Hell", and wonder at the
    victory of marketing over experience
    The Dells are heavy as well and short on things like USB ports, TV tuners,
    etc compared with the Acers and others, although the battery life is good.
    Given the service, and the fact the lappies will need fixing and
    proprietary parts more than desktops, get somewhere with a local office.
    You would have to pay me to take another Dell.
    Geoff

    Geoff M, Jan 21, 2006
  12. At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
    > DON"T BUY DELL. Let me tell you about my 5150. It took 7 weeks to arrive,

    By most accounts, their home/budget stuff is poor. The business
    equipment is however OK. We buy the Latitude laptops and have no major
    problems. Worst that I have seen is the headphone socket broken (new
    motherboard at Dell's cost, LOL) and a slightly dodgy CD/DVD reader.
    We have about 10 laptops at the moment.

    Laptops are becoming more of a commodity and in fact are largely built
    from third party components - only the case and motherboard such being
    actually designed by "Dell" or whoever - just like desktops.

    IBM is supposedly a solid bet still.

    I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
    in time. Assembly is probably too technical...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 22, 2006
  13. Joe Black

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
    >
    > I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
    > in time. Assembly is probably too technical...

    there are a few manufacturers that do a barebones laptop.

    I have a mate with a gigabyte one.

    ChrisOD, Jan 22, 2006
  14. Joe Black

    A Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:09:21 +1300, ChrisOD
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >> At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
    >>
    >> I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
    >> in time. Assembly is probably too technical...
    >>

    >there are a few manufacturers that do a barebones laptop.
    >
    >I have a mate with a gigabyte one.

    The problem is that they're not cost effective and typically are 1.5-2
    times the price of a brand name laptop.

    A, Feb 1, 2006