First Impressions of IE 7 (Beta)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let
    me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing crap
    that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to Microshaft
    about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off. Then the
    Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text and shoves
    most of them off the screen. Another annoyance is the quick launch button
    for "Show Desktop" gets added again so now you have two of them. And
    lastly, when sliding your cursor over a photo you used to get a button menu
    that allowed you to save, print, e-mail or open in your My Pictures. Well
    not anymore! Damn thing's been removed! Oh you still have the "re-size"
    icon that appears in the lower right of large photos ... but big fat hairy
    deal! And Yahoo Mail doesn't work in the Composing window ... unable to
    change fonts or sizes. But this may be a Yahoo thing and not an IE7 thing
    .... not sure.

    The only good things I can see ... besides tabbed browsing? One is the
    "clear temp files on closing" ... but I don't think it works to be honest.
    Maybe in another later version. And multiple searches instead of being
    stuck with just lame MSN Search. But, of course, IE7 still tries to change
    your homepage settings upon first loading as well as your search page
    preferences. Bill "Douchebag" Gates still doesn't get it. We don't want
    Microshaft in control of our systems ... we want to be! If we'd wanted a
    company to control us we'd all be using AO-Hell.

    Basically it's a piss-poor Mozilla Firefox. Trouble is that within a few
    months we'll all be "forced" into downloading the piece of crap because I'm
    sure some company, like Adobe, will make a program that only works with IE7
    .... much like the latest Acrobat reader upgrade for Win 9x only works with
    IE6. I just don't see anything good coming out of this browser ... only
    issues, troubles and probably years and years of security issues.

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    $1-million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention :)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:27:48 -0400, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    News Group, Without Any Hesitation Sens Fan Happy In Ohio Wrote The
    Following:

    > What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let
    > me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing crap
    > that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to Microshaft
    > about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off. Then the
    > Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text and shoves
    > most of them off the screen. Another annoyance is the quick launch button
    > for "Show Desktop" gets added again so now you have two of them. And
    > lastly, when sliding your cursor over a photo you used to get a button menu
    > that allowed you to save, print, e-mail or open in your My Pictures. Well
    > not anymore! Damn thing's been removed! Oh you still have the "re-size"
    > icon that appears in the lower right of large photos ... but big fat hairy
    > deal! And Yahoo Mail doesn't work in the Composing window ... unable to
    > change fonts or sizes. But this may be a Yahoo thing and not an IE7 thing
    > ... not sure.
    >
    > The only good things I can see ... besides tabbed browsing? One is the
    > "clear temp files on closing" ... but I don't think it works to be honest.
    > Maybe in another later version. And multiple searches instead of being
    > stuck with just lame MSN Search. But, of course, IE7 still tries to change
    > your homepage settings upon first loading as well as your search page
    > preferences. Bill "Douchebag" Gates still doesn't get it. We don't want
    > Microshaft in control of our systems ... we want to be! If we'd wanted a
    > company to control us we'd all be using AO-Hell.
    >
    > Basically it's a piss-poor Mozilla Firefox. Trouble is that within a few
    > months we'll all be "forced" into downloading the piece of crap because I'm
    > sure some company, like Adobe, will make a program that only works with IE7
    > ... much like the latest Acrobat reader upgrade for Win 9x only works with
    > IE6. I just don't see anything good coming out of this browser ... only
    > issues, troubles and probably years and years of security issues.

    Thanks for the info. When Win Vista comes out is IE7 going to be
    optional.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Plato Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:

    > What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let

    BS

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  4. In news:xibdimn9rrki$, Old Gringo
    <> first attempted to communicate
    with pen, but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the
    rain washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the
    cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    > Thanks for the info. When Win Vista comes out is IE7 going to be
    > optional.

    NP. But question ... what's Win Vista?

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005
  5. In news:43506af5$1$187$, Plato <|@|.|> first attempted
    to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk
    chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and
    stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    >> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta
    >> and let

    > BS

    Hey that's your loss. See if I give two shits.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005
  6. In news:,
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio <> first attempted to
    communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk
    chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and
    stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
    > In news:xibdimn9rrki$, Old Gringo
    > <> first attempted to
    > communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
    > sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to
    > spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to
    > keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info. When Win Vista comes out is IE7 going to be
    >> optional.

    > NP. But question ... what's Win Vista?

    OOooohhhh ... Windows Vista ~slaps self~ Okay now I am awake ;-) Wish I
    could keep all the damn names straight for all these OS's. I was still
    thinking of "Longhorn".

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Martik Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and
    > let me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing
    > crap that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to
    > Microshaft about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off.
    > Then the Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text
    > and shoves most of them off the screen. Another annoyance is the quick
    > launch button for "Show Desktop" gets added again so now you have two of
    > them. And lastly, when sliding your cursor over a photo you used to get a
    > button menu that allowed you to save, print, e-mail or open in your My
    > Pictures. Well not anymore! Damn thing's been removed! Oh you still
    > have the "re-size" icon that appears in the lower right of large photos
    > ... but big fat hairy deal! And Yahoo Mail doesn't work in the Composing
    > window ... unable to change fonts or sizes. But this may be a Yahoo thing
    > and not an IE7 thing ... not sure.
    >
    > The only good things I can see ... besides tabbed browsing? One is the
    > "clear temp files on closing" ... but I don't think it works to be honest.
    > Maybe in another later version. And multiple searches instead of being
    > stuck with just lame MSN Search. But, of course, IE7 still tries to
    > change your homepage settings upon first loading as well as your search
    > page preferences. Bill "Douchebag" Gates still doesn't get it. We don't
    > want Microshaft in control of our systems ... we want to be! If we'd
    > wanted a company to control us we'd all be using AO-Hell.
    >
    > Basically it's a piss-poor Mozilla Firefox. Trouble is that within a few
    > months we'll all be "forced" into downloading the piece of crap because
    > I'm sure some company, like Adobe, will make a program that only works
    > with IE7 ... much like the latest Acrobat reader upgrade for Win 9x only
    > works with IE6. I just don't see anything good coming out of this browser
    > ... only issues, troubles and probably years and years of security issues.

    The more I hear about Vista and it's components, the more I look at Linux.

    Martik, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Trax Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    |>Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    |>>
    |>> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let

    |>BS

    You referring to his previous message?

    From: "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: IE7 Beta - Anyplace to download it?
    Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:23:25 -0400

    "Just curious if you can download and "test" it. I'm still sticking
    with Firefox, but curious to see what Microshaft is trying to do."

    I think he forgot he found it here :)))

    --
    Remember Commander Keen?
    http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/

    Trax, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Plato Guest

    Martik wrote:

    > The more I hear about Vista and it's components, the more I look at Linux.

    People have been saying such since win95 came out. Oddly, MS's revenue
    stream has NOT been affected. 99% of pc buyers will stick with the OS
    that comes on their pc they bought from major internet brands or major
    store retailers.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Plato wrote:

    > Martik wrote:
    >>
    >> The more I hear about Vista and it's components, the more I
    >> look at Linux.

    > People have been saying such since win95 came out. Oddly, MS's
    > revenue stream has NOT been affected. 99% of pc buyers will

    What's odd about that, with OEMs still monogamously sucking
    Microsoft's dick?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 15, 2005
  11. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Martik Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Plato wrote:
    >
    >> Martik wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The more I hear about Vista and it's components, the more I
    >>> look at Linux.

    >> People have been saying such since win95 came out. Oddly, MS's
    >> revenue stream has NOT been affected. 99% of pc buyers will

    > What's odd about that, with OEMs still monogamously sucking
    > Microsoft's dick?

    They don't have much choice. Volume discounts are structured to entice
    (force) them to include Windows or profits will drop significantly.

    Martik, Oct 15, 2005
  12. Martik wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Plato wrote:

    >>> People have been saying such since win95 came out. Oddly, MS's
    >>> revenue stream has NOT been affected. 99% of pc buyers will

    >> What's odd about that, with OEMs still monogamously sucking
    >> Microsoft's dick?

    > They don't have much choice. Volume discounts are structured to
    > entice (force) them to include Windows or profits will drop
    > significantly.

    Question stands, though. What's odd about that (no problem with
    MS' revenue stream)?

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 15, 2005
  13. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Dan Evans Guest

    > What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and
    > let me tell you ... it's not worth it.

    Well it's a beta, what do you expect from something that isn't ready for
    market yet. If it was perfect, it would be IE7 Gold. Use a beta how its
    meant to be used - which is feedbackto MS saying "A", "B" and "C" are crap,
    "D" is alright, "E" and "F" are pretty good but the button text is too
    small, or whatever.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 15, 2005
  14. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:32:19 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:27:48 -0400, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >News Group, Without Any Hesitation Sens Fan Happy In Ohio Wrote The
    >Following:
    >
    >> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let
    >> me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing crap
    >> that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to Microshaft
    >> about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off. Then the
    >> Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text and shoves

    <snip>

    >> Basically it's a piss-poor Mozilla Firefox. Trouble is that within a few
    >> months we'll all be "forced" into downloading the piece of crap because I'm
    >> sure some company, like Adobe, will make a program that only works with IE7
    >> ... much like the latest Acrobat reader upgrade for Win 9x only works with
    >> IE6. I just don't see anything good coming out of this browser ... only
    >> issues, troubles and probably years and years of security issues.

    >Thanks for the info. When Win Vista comes out is IE7 going to be
    >optional.

    Not in the Beta 1, you expect MS to be that nice? It's still going to be
    so tightly integrated with the OS it won't come out.

    One thing that seems to be okay is using the Set Program Defaults, to
    another browser works. But I think that option is in XP anyway.

    Me

    why?, Oct 15, 2005
  15. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    James Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    >>
    >> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and
    >> let

    > BS

    Why is it BS? You've been able to download a version of IE7 off the
    internet for ages! True it was a copy that was nicked from MSoft but,
    people have been and ARE using it now.

    James, Oct 15, 2005
  16. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:24:51 GMT, Martik wrote:

    >"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    >> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and
    >> let me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing
    >> crap that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to
    >> Microshaft about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off.
    >> Then the Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text
    >> and shoves most of them off the screen. Another annoyance is the quick
    >> launch button for "Show Desktop" gets added again so now you have two of
    >> them. And lastly, when sliding your cursor over a photo you used to get a
    >> button menu that allowed you to save, print, e-mail or open in your My
    >> Pictures. Well not anymore! Damn thing's been removed! Oh you still
    >> have the "re-size" icon that appears in the lower right of large photos
    >> ... but big fat hairy deal! And Yahoo Mail doesn't work in the Composing
    >> window ... unable to change fonts or sizes. But this may be a Yahoo thing
    >> and not an IE7 thing ... not sure.

    <snip>

    >The more I hear about Vista and it's components, the more I look at Linux.

    Maybe MS are taking some lessons? It almost seems to be more like MAC or
    Linux little bits around the user interface. Although it's not the first
    time there has been a bit of Unix i/f creeping in. i.e. the NT4 User
    Manager there is a little black rectangle control (seldom used) for
    altering the size of the panes. The only place I ever saw that control
    was on Unix systems,

    Yet again from Google Images, example here
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/images/UserMgrNT4.png
    the black control is on the right of the grey line below the sharpec
    username. It wasn't the only bit of another OS that worked it's way in
    to the NT line.

    Me

    why?, Oct 15, 2005
  17. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:44:36 +0100, James wrote:

    >"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and
    >>> let

    >> BS

    >Why is it BS? You've been able to download a version of IE7 off the
    >internet for ages! True it was a copy that was nicked from MSoft but,

    I much prefer getting my copy from MS as well, with the MS Technet Plus
    pack.

    >people have been and ARE using it now.

    Ages in terms of months?

    Just because people are using it doesn't make it any less BS or have
    some of the same problems as earlier versions.

    Me

    why?, Oct 15, 2005
  18. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Tony P. Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > What a waste! A friend at Microshaft sent me a copy of the IE7 Beta and let
    > me tell you ... it's not worth it. First there's this anti-Phishing crap
    > that really is nothing more than spyware, sending info back to Microshaft
    > about your browsing habits. So if you have it ... turn it off. Then the
    > Links area is so screwed up ... buttons are bigger than the text and shoves
    > most of them off the screen. Another annoyance is the quick launch button
    > for "Show Desktop" gets added again so now you have two of them. And
    > lastly, when sliding your cursor over a photo you used to get a button menu
    > that allowed you to save, print, e-mail or open in your My Pictures. Well
    > not anymore! Damn thing's been removed! Oh you still have the "re-size"
    > icon that appears in the lower right of large photos ... but big fat hairy
    > deal! And Yahoo Mail doesn't work in the Composing window ... unable to
    > change fonts or sizes. But this may be a Yahoo thing and not an IE7 thing
    > ... not sure.
    >
    > The only good things I can see ... besides tabbed browsing? One is the
    > "clear temp files on closing" ... but I don't think it works to be honest.
    > Maybe in another later version. And multiple searches instead of being
    > stuck with just lame MSN Search. But, of course, IE7 still tries to change
    > your homepage settings upon first loading as well as your search page
    > preferences. Bill "Douchebag" Gates still doesn't get it. We don't want
    > Microshaft in control of our systems ... we want to be! If we'd wanted a
    > company to control us we'd all be using AO-Hell.
    >
    > Basically it's a piss-poor Mozilla Firefox. Trouble is that within a few
    > months we'll all be "forced" into downloading the piece of crap because I'm
    > sure some company, like Adobe, will make a program that only works with IE7
    > ... much like the latest Acrobat reader upgrade for Win 9x only works with
    > IE6. I just don't see anything good coming out of this browser ... only
    > issues, troubles and probably years and years of security issues.

    IE 6 with the Foxie extension (Ooops - it's not an extension but an
    actual application) gives it tabs, pop-up blocking, etc.

    That being said, why the hell would I stop using Firefox? It blocks
    pretty much 98% of pop-ups, blocks ads, gets around required sign-in's
    for newspapers etc. if you downloads the following extensions:

    AdBlock
    PopUpsDie
    BugMeNot

    Tony P., Oct 15, 2005
  19. In news:, Trax
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the
    writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away,
    and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so
    placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    > "Just curious if you can download and "test" it. I'm still sticking
    > with Firefox, but curious to see what Microshaft is trying to do."
    >
    > I think he forgot he found it here :)))

    No actually what I found here never worked. That's when I contacted my
    friend I met a while back who works for Microshaft and asked if there was a
    way he could find it for me and send it to me (he works mostly with the
    Encarta software). With some work, he got it and sent it to me.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005
  20. In news:4350b4b7$0$1877$, Dan Evans
    <> first attempted to communicate with
    pen, but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain
    washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans
    exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    > Well it's a beta, what do you expect from something that isn't ready
    > for market yet. If it was perfect, it would be IE7 Gold. Use a beta
    > how its meant to be used - which is feedbackto MS saying "A", "B" and
    > "C" are crap, "D" is alright, "E" and "F" are pretty good but the
    > button text is too small, or whatever.
    >
    > Dan

    I realize it's a Beta. But the fact that they stripped out a feature I
    enjoyed with IE6 (one of the only ones) is disturbing. Add to that the fact
    it's a cheap and tawdry knock-off of Firefox leaves a lot to be desired. I
    don't "expect" it to be perfect by far. But when there's things that have
    worked and worked well for years you'd think they could get those right
    again.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2005