First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    <http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>

    A few points worth noting:

    The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    Sony's SLT A99.

    The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    all yet.

    The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.

    Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
    24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.

    For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2012

  2. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    > likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    > superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    > lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    > interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    because an slr is much better than a compact p&s and they can still
    change lenses if they need to.

    nospam, Jun 15, 2012

  3. Bruce

    John A. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:11:36 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    ><http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>
    >

    >A few points worth noting:
    >
    >The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    >Sony's SLT A99.
    >
    >The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    >all yet.
    >
    >The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >
    >Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    >be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
    >24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    >versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
    >
    >For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    >likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    >superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    >lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    >interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    Maybe they don't want to clean the sensor more than absolutely
    necessary, perhaps because they don't know how or are afraid they'll
    scratch it or something.

    Maybe once the economy picks up, camera owners will be more willing to
    risk damaging expensive equipment.

    Just a thought. No idea if it's true for a significant number, though
    I would guess it's >0.

    John A., Jun 15, 2012
  4. Bruce

    Me Guest

    On 15/06/2012 11:11 a.m., Bruce wrote:
    > <http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>
    >

    > A few points worth noting:
    >
    > The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    > Sony's SLT A99.
    >
    > The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    > all yet.
    >
    > The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >
    > Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    > be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
    > 24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    > versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.

    From Nikon's MTF chart for the new 24-85VR it seems to be considerably
    improved over the old version.

    Me, Jun 15, 2012
  5. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 14, 7:11 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > <http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx...>
    >
    > A few points worth noting:
    >
    > The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    > Sony's SLT A99.
    >
    > The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    > all yet.
    >
    > The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >
    > Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    > be available for the D600.  There is yet another version of the
    > 24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    > versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
    >
    > For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    > likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm.  Buyers of these
    > superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    > lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    > interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    That body looks small and simple. Imagine if this thing comes in
    (with entry-level FX lenses) as cheap as a NEX-7 or the m4/3rds top
    cameras?

    RichA, Jun 15, 2012
  6. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 14, 7:11 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > <http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx...>
    >
    > A few points worth noting:
    >
    > The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    > Sony's SLT A99.
    >
    > The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    > all yet.
    >
    > The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >
    > Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    > be available for the D600.  There is yet another version of the
    > 24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    > versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
    >
    > For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    > likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm.  Buyers of these
    > superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    > lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    > interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    Those "ultra-superzooms" are not exactly light-weight, even from
    lesser firms like Sigma. Carrying an extra lens in small Lowepro bag
    would seem to be no strain, but I guess those amateurs are so "action-
    oriented" they need the extra f.l. to be in the same lens so as not to
    slow them down. :)

    RichA, Jun 15, 2012
  7. For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    When you are photographing a once-off event (recent example, the Olympic
    torch passing by), there may not be time to change lenses, or even to pick
    up a second camera, and a wide-range zoom gives you maximum chance of
    getting a few good pictures. Of course, if you are a professional
    photographer with a privileged viewpoint, things may be different....

    It doesn't mean that you don't change lenses on other occasions. Others
    have different needs to you.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 15, 2012
  8. Bruce

    K W Hart Guest

    "John A." <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:11:36 +0100, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>
    >>

    >>A few points worth noting:
    >>
    >>The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    >>Sony's SLT A99.
    >>
    >>The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    >>all yet.
    >>
    >>The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >>
    >>Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    >>be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
    >>24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    >>versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
    >>
    >>For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    >>likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    >>superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    >>lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    >>interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    > Maybe they don't want to clean the sensor more than absolutely
    > necessary, perhaps because they don't know how or are afraid they'll
    > scratch it or something.
    >
    > Maybe once the economy picks up, camera owners will be more willing to
    > risk damaging expensive equipment.
    >
    > Just a thought. No idea if it's true for a significant number, though
    > I would guess it's >0.

    Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
    sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
    film cameras with no ill effects. Does the sensor have a static charge that
    attracts dust?

    K W Hart, Jun 15, 2012
  9. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <jrfl44$27o$>, K W Hart
    <> wrote:

    > Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
    > sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
    > film cameras with no ill effects.

    film moves so any dust affects only one photo, and that's if it somehow
    gets past the light-tight foam on the cartridge.

    > Does the sensor have a static charge that
    > attracts dust?

    they do but it's not as bad as it used to be. a rocket blower usually
    takes care of any dust.

    nospam, Jun 15, 2012
  10. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "K W Hart" <> wrote:
    >"John A." <> wrote:
    >> Bruce <> wrote:
    >>>For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    >>>likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    >>>superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    >>>lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    >>>interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    >> Maybe they don't want to clean the sensor more than absolutely
    >> necessary, perhaps because they don't know how or are afraid they'll
    >> scratch it or something.
    >>
    >> Maybe once the economy picks up, camera owners will be more willing to
    >> risk damaging expensive equipment.
    >>
    >> Just a thought. No idea if it's true for a significant number, though
    >> I would guess it's >0.

    >Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue?

    Only if you are paranoid, ignorant or both. People who buy DSLRs for
    their claimed better image quality over a small sensor p&s then give
    up most of that gain in image quality by using a junk >10X superzoom
    lens could certainly be described as ignorant. But are they also
    paranoid? Discuss. ;-)

    >I realize that dust on the
    >sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
    >film cameras with no ill effects. Does the sensor have a static charge that
    >attracts dust?

    Yes, but many/most DSLR digital sensors have automatic dust removal
    routines that operate when the camera is switched on/off. The vast
    majority of DSLR buyers will never need the sensors professionally
    cleaned. That includes most of those who change their lenses.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2012
  11. Bruce <> wrote:

    > For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    > likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    > superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    > lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    > interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    Well, they just make these superzooms to force you to flex your
    imagination and limber up your preconceptions. Doesn't seem to
    work yet, though ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 15, 2012
  12. "K W Hart" <> writes:

    > "John A." <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:11:36 +0100, Bruce <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>><http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>
    >>>

    >>>A few points worth noting:
    >>>
    >>>The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
    >>>Sony's SLT A99.
    >>>
    >>>The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
    >>>all yet.
    >>>
    >>>The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
    >>>
    >>>Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
    >>>be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
    >>>24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
    >>>versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
    >>>
    >>>For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
    >>>likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
    >>>superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
    >>>lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
    >>>interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

    >> Maybe they don't want to clean the sensor more than absolutely
    >> necessary, perhaps because they don't know how or are afraid they'll
    >> scratch it or something.
    >>
    >> Maybe once the economy picks up, camera owners will be more willing to
    >> risk damaging expensive equipment.
    >>
    >> Just a thought. No idea if it's true for a significant number, though
    >> I would guess it's >0.

    > Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
    > sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
    > film cameras with no ill effects. Does the sensor have a static charge that
    > attracts dust?

    First, each frame of film is only used once, while the sensor is used
    repeatedly.

    Second, yes, it *does* acquire a static charge.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 15, 2012
  13. Bruce

    Rob Guest

    On 16/06/2012 2:05 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <jrfl44$27o$>, K W Hart
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
    >> sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
    >> film cameras with no ill effects.

    > film moves so any dust affects only one photo, and that's if it somehow
    > gets past the light-tight foam on the cartridge.
    >
    >> Does the sensor have a static charge that
    >> attracts dust?

    > they do but it's not as bad as it used to be. a rocket blower usually
    > takes care of any dust.

    in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner to catch the dust particals.

    Rob, Jun 16, 2012
  14. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Mark F <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:11:36 +0100, in rec.photo.digital you wrote in
    >part:

    >> >Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue?

    >> Only if you are paranoid, ignorant or both. People who buy DSLRs for
    >> their claimed better image quality over a small sensor p&s then give
    >> up most of that gain in image quality by using a junk >10X superzoom

    >Many of the issues caused by the tradeoffs made in making an ultrawide
    >zoom can be handled by post processing.

    That's funny, because no-one is discussing "an ultrawide zoom". It
    would help if you understood what was being discussed before replying.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2012
  15. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    "K W Hart" <> wrote in message
    > Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue?

    It can be.

    >I realize that dust on the sensor equals spots on the image, but I've
    >changed lenses in mid-roll on my film cameras with no ill effects.

    If you change digital sensors as often as you changed film, I'm sure you
    would never have a problem either!! :)

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Jun 17, 2012
  16. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > >> Only if you are paranoid, ignorant or both. People who buy DSLRs for
    > >> their claimed better image quality over a small sensor p&s then give
    > >> up most of that gain in image quality by using a junk >10X superzoom

    > >Many of the issues caused by the tradeoffs made in making an ultrawide
    > >zoom can be handled by post processing.

    > That's funny, because no-one is discussing "an ultrawide zoom". It
    > would help if you understood what was being discussed before replying.

    it's very obvious what he meant.

    nospam, Jun 17, 2012
  17. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (Floyd L.
    Davidson) wrote:

    >Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >> I wish there was a way to make a dust mask photo
    >>and for Photoshop (or some app) to automatically remove them when high
    >>aperture numbers are used and when the image is even in the area where
    >>there is dust.

    >Nikon cameras and software can do that.

    Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,
    still, I have to use my Rocket to manually clean off the dust a couple
    of times of year. If the humidity is high, or the camera's location
    changes from one somewhat extreme temperature to another, the dust
    will form tiny "clots".

    Every once in a while I shoot a clear blue sky image just to check for
    dust spots.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 17, 2012
  18. Bruce

    me Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:46 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (Floyd L.
    >Davidson) wrote:
    >
    >>Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>> I wish there was a way to make a dust mask photo
    >>>and for Photoshop (or some app) to automatically remove them when high
    >>>aperture numbers are used and when the image is even in the area where
    >>>there is dust.

    >>Nikon cameras and software can do that.

    >Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,
    >still, I have to use my Rocket to manually clean off the dust a couple
    >of times of year. If the humidity is high, or the camera's location
    >changes from one somewhat extreme temperature to another, the dust
    >will form tiny "clots".
    >
    >Every once in a while I shoot a clear blue sky image just to check for
    >dust spots.

    I believe Floyd was taking about the dust reference photo feature of
    the Nikon Cameras and Software.

    me, Jun 17, 2012
  19. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:00:53 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-06-17 10:25 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (Floyd L.
    >> Davidson) wrote:

    >>> Nikon cameras and software can do that.

    >> Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,

    >He was referring to an image reference for post processing. I forgot
    >about that feature in some (all?) Nikon DSLR's.

    Some Nikons have automatic sensor dust cleaning when you turn on the
    camera. Mine does. That's what I was referring to above

    My Nikon also has Dust Off software in Capture NX2 (which I don't use)
    that works on .NEF images only. It's ridiculous. Read the
    instructions at http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d2x_dust/

    You want to go through all of that, including a reference photo, when
    dust spots on images are easily removed with the Clone tool or the
    Spot Healing brush in either Photoshop (full version) or Elements or
    the Spot Removal tool in Lightroom? I'm sure other post-processing
    programs have similar tools.

    Dust spots in an image that are a problem are almost always in the sky
    or some other light-colored solid area of a photograph. They will
    also be in the other areas of the same photograph, but you won't see
    them.

    If you have some great, god-awful blob that is too much to remove as
    above, you've lost the image anyway.

    >Just wish Sony would wake up to it - or at least find a good 3rd party
    >s/w that can do it.

    They do. It's called Adobe Photoshop, Elements, or Lightroom. Picasa
    has "Retouch", but I don't use Picasa so I don't know the particulars.
    Even the free program I use as a viewer - FastStone - has a clone
    tool.

    Dust on the sensor is a real problem for me because I sometimes change
    lenses in windy and sandy conditions. At most, it effects one card's
    photos, and then only those images with solid light areas.

    Sometimes the "dust spots" on an image are on the monitor screen.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 17, 2012
  20. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:52:03 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-06-17 12:39 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:00:53 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> He was referring to an image reference for post processing. I forgot
    >>> about that feature in some (all?) Nikon DSLR's.

    >> Some Nikons have automatic sensor dust cleaning when you turn on the
    >> camera. Mine does. That's what I was referring to above
    >>
    >> My Nikon also has Dust Off software in Capture NX2 (which I don't use)
    >> that works on .NEF images only. It's ridiculous. Read the
    >> instructions at http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d2x_dust/
    >>
    >> You want to go through all of that, including a reference photo, when
    >> dust spots on images are easily removed with the Clone tool or the
    >> Spot Healing brush in either Photoshop (full version) or Elements or
    >> the Spot Removal tool in Lightroom? I'm sure other post-processing
    >> programs have similar tools.

    >Since one only needs take one reference photo (say 1 per month) and then
    >let the s/w do the work, sure, why not. When I have a dozen shots and
    >all need the same three spots healed it's a pain in the clock.

    That's 36 clicks of the Enter key if you use the Spot Healing Brush.
    A few more if you establish the Clone-from area. You hit the keys
    more times in this post than that.

    However, I'm all for using whatever technique that works best for the
    individual. If you are getting 12 shots out of a shoot that a) are
    worth post-processing, and b) contain areas that include dust spots,
    and c) able to notice the dust spots in the RAW file before you start
    post, then you're doing better than I am.

    >> Dust spots in an image that are a problem are almost always in the sky
    >> or some other light-colored solid area of a photograph. They will
    >> also be in the other areas of the same photograph, but you won't see
    >> them.

    >No shit. That's why I was specific about the tool only working on high
    >aperture numbered shots and in "smooth" areas.
    >

    >> If you have some great, god-awful blob that is too much to remove as
    >> above, you've lost the image anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Just wish Sony would wake up to it - or at least find a good 3rd party
    >>> s/w that can do it.

    >> They do. It's called Adobe Photoshop, Elements, or Lightroom. Picasa
    >> has "Retouch", but I don't use Picasa so I don't know the particulars.
    >> Even the free program I use as a viewer - FastStone - has a clone
    >> tool.

    >See above.
    >

    >> Dust on the sensor is a real problem for me because I sometimes change
    >> lenses in windy and sandy conditions. At most, it effects one card's
    >> photos, and then only those images with solid light areas.
    >>
    >> Sometimes the "dust spots" on an image are on the monitor screen.

    >That I keep clean. Spots from the sensor are very clear as to their
    >nature when they show up.

    You evidently don't have grandchildren that come over and use your
    computer. I'm thinking of adding an electrified fence around the
    screen so they don't touch it and leave fingerprints.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 17, 2012