First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or Kenwood KV-7070??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Matt, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
    groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
    a home theater system. I have two choices:

    1. Onkyo TX SR501
    2. Kenwood KV-7070

    I am getting a very similar price (around $200) on both
    receivers, so that is not an issue. Both are Dolby 6.1
    systems. The Onkyo has 65 watts to each channel, the
    Kenwood has 100. The Kenwood has THX Select, the Onkyo
    does not have any THX. The Onkyo is generally well reviewed,
    but I don't find alot of info on the Kenwood. In general,
    the Kenwood seems like more receiver for the money, and
    I have had Kenwood audio equipment for 15 years, so I
    am a bit partial to it. However, I'm willing to go
    with the Onkyo if the sound is better and not having
    THX isn't too big a sacrifice. I certainly have read
    mixed things here about whether or not THX is a big deal,
    relative to DTS, which both of these receivers have.

    The set up will be in a medium sized room, used mostly for
    movies, and occasionally music.

    If anyone has any advice, or comment on either or both of
    these receiver, please post to the group. It is much
    appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Matt

    Matt, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Matt

    Frohike Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
    > groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
    > a home theater system. I have two choices:
    >
    > 1. Onkyo TX SR501
    > 2. Kenwood KV-7070
    >
    > I am getting a very similar price (around $200) on both
    > receivers, so that is not an issue. Both are Dolby 6.1
    > systems. The Onkyo has 65 watts to each channel, the
    > Kenwood has 100. The Kenwood has THX Select, the Onkyo
    > does not have any THX. The Onkyo is generally well reviewed,
    > but I don't find alot of info on the Kenwood. In general,
    > the Kenwood seems like more receiver for the money, and
    > I have had Kenwood audio equipment for 15 years, so I
    > am a bit partial to it. However, I'm willing to go
    > with the Onkyo if the sound is better and not having
    > THX isn't too big a sacrifice. I certainly have read
    > mixed things here about whether or not THX is a big deal,
    > relative to DTS, which both of these receivers have.
    >
    > The set up will be in a medium sized room, used mostly for
    > movies, and occasionally music.
    >
    > If anyone has any advice, or comment on either or both of
    > these receiver, please post to the group. It is much
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Matt

    I'd go with the Onkyo. My brother-in-law bought one and we set it up with
    his PSB speakers. It was able to drive the Image 6Ts and the Subsonic 10 sub
    pretty good. Movies and music sounded really warm and natural. The 5-channel
    stereo is a blast. Setup is real easy via the front buttons. Don't worry
    about the THX, it's not a big deal.

    Frohike, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Matt

    Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Matt <> wrote:
    } Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
    } groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
    } a home theater system. I have two choices:
    }
    } 1. Onkyo TX SR501
    } 2. Kenwood KV-7070
    }
    } I am getting a very similar price (around $200) on both
    } receivers, so that is not an issue. Both are Dolby 6.1
    } systems. The Onkyo has 65 watts to each channel, the
    } Kenwood has 100.

    Onkyo rates the amps with two channels driven (4 idle),
    Kenwood rates the amps with one channel driven, but it's
    even worse than that. The test results I've seen show
    Onkyos drop about 10% with all channels driven and the
    Kenwoods drop about 50%. So figure 60 watts/channel for the
    Onkyo and 50 watts/channel for the Kenwood in real life.

    } The Kenwood has THX Select, the Onkyo
    } does not have any THX. The Onkyo is generally well reviewed,
    } but I don't find alot of info on the Kenwood. In general,
    } the Kenwood seems like more receiver for the money, and
    } I have had Kenwood audio equipment for 15 years, so I
    } am a bit partial to it. However, I'm willing to go
    } with the Onkyo if the sound is better and not having
    } THX isn't too big a sacrifice. I certainly have read
    } mixed things here about whether or not THX is a big deal,
    } relative to DTS, which both of these receivers have.

    THX isn't a big deal. My Onkyo has it, but I'm not sure I
    can hear the difference. I've been happy with my Onkyo. I
    have a friend with a Kenwood that regrets it. It
    periodically loses it's memory and has to be setup from
    scratch. They just arn't in the same league.

    --

    Frank Ball

    , Apr 8, 2004
  4. Matt

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone... I have been reading the postings of these
    > groups with great interest as I have prepared to purchase
    > a home theater system. I have two choices:
    >
    > 1. Onkyo TX SR501
    > 2. Kenwood KV-7070

    If these are your only choices, I'll put in another vote for the Onkyo.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Matt

    Les Guest

    I bought the Onkyo 601 last week and have been very happy with it.

    --
    Have a great day, except you spammers
    To email, remove the obvious

    Les, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Matt

    David B. Guest

    Re: First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or KenwoodKV-7070??

    wrote:

    > Onkyo rates the amps with two channels driven (4 idle),
    > Kenwood rates the amps with one channel driven, but it's
    > even worse than that. The test results I've seen show
    > Onkyos drop about 10% with all channels driven and the
    > Kenwoods drop about 50%. So figure 60 watts/channel for the
    > Onkyo and 50 watts/channel for the Kenwood in real life.

    It's true that Kenwood rates their amps with one channel driven.
    However, Sound & Vision did a review of the 6070 (same amp) and these
    were the results.
    Measured power, 1 channel driven: 121 watts into 8 ohms
    Measured power, 6 channel driven: 92 watts per channel into 8 ohms

    I have used the RS SPL meter to calibrate my speaker to reference levels
    and I have plenty of clean power in reserve. Power will not be an issue
    with either unit.

    > THX isn't a big deal. My Onkyo has it, but I'm not sure I
    > can hear the difference. I've been happy with my Onkyo. I
    > have a friend with a Kenwood that regrets it. It
    > periodically loses it's memory and has to be setup from
    > scratch. They just arn't in the same league.

    I agree with most of the posters on this forum when it comes to THX.
    It's a marketing tool and little else. You have two very good choices
    and a great price. You won't be disappointed no matter which unit you
    choose.

    David

    David B., Apr 8, 2004
  7. Matt

    Oblivion Guest

    If there's any way, buy the Onkyo TX SR601. It has a much more
    flexible speaker selection system and bass management. I own the 501
    and love it, but it just isn't as flexible as the 601.

    On 7 Apr 2004 22:02:38 -0700, (Matt) wrotD:

    Oblivion, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Matt

    Biz Guest

    Neither...

    I highly recommend you look at the Yamaha and Denon offerings in your price
    range. They are far superior products to the Kenwood or the Onkyo.

    Biz, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Onkyo over Kenwood anyday.

    As for the discrepancies in wattage, Onkyo is much more conservative about
    their power ratings than Kenwood. The ratings indicated for the Onkyo are much
    closer to what would be achieved in the real world than those for the Kenwood.
    Plus, Kenwood usually has some real questionable engineering in their
    receivers, such as a lousy heatsink and ventilation setup for the output
    transistors.

    If you are willing to entertain other brands:

    Integra (A higher end Onkyo brand, like Sony ES)

    Yamaha

    Denon

    Harmon/Kardon

    Sony (ES and DB lines only, which are available only at select Sony dealers,
    usually places that deal with premium equipment. The DE line, commonly
    availble almost anywhere, is junk.)

    Pioneer ELITE

    Outlaw Audio

    Some of the brands, like Sony ES, Onkyo Integra, Pioneer ELITE, and Outlaw, may
    have products that are well beyond the price range you've specified.

    If you find any NOS receivers on clearance at any stores, try to look for the
    Technics SA-DA10. These things are actually excellent, which is unusual for
    Technics receivers. Originally priced over $699, they commonly sell at certain
    places for around $200.

    Don't fret over THX. It seems to hardly provide any usable benefit, especially
    at that price point. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Matt

    Biz wrote:

    > Neither...
    >
    > I highly recommend you look at the Yamaha and Denon offerings in your price
    > range. They are far superior products to the Kenwood or the Onkyo.

    We're talking two hundred dollars here. Would you please recommend
    specific models that he can purchase from Yamaha or Denon that sell in
    this price range and why these models are "far superior?" Thanks for
    your efforts.

    David

    David B., Apr 9, 2004
  11. Matt

    Biz Guest

    Re: First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or Kenwood KV-7070??

    Just do a little reading in the forums over at avs.

    http://www.avsforum.com

    The specific models in that price range are:

    Yamaha RXV-530/540
    Denon AVR-484/1604

    Biz, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Re: First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or Kenwood KV-7070??

    Rocky red the bum dingler, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Re: First home theater receiver purchase - Onkyo TX SR501or Kenwood KV-7070??

    Thanks for all your advice guys! Based on your advice, I got the
    Onkyo and love it. Plenty of power too. Now I just have to keep that
    DVD player fed! ;)
    I'm renting every DVD I can that is halfway decent and has good
    special effects. The surround sound is truely amazing and completely
    enveloping!

    Thanks again for the help!

    Matt

    Matt, Apr 15, 2004